Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I Buy The Right Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 02:09 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I Buy The Right Bike?

Just picked up a 2010 FLHX Street Glide. The bike is amazing in many ways, smooth power, great handling, 6th gear is wonderful on the freeways and of course in shiny black, looks awesome!

When riding the bike solo I feel like I'm on a sport bike. My dilemma is when riding my GF on the back it feels like my legs are too short. I'm 5'10" with 30/31" inseam. When solo, my feet are flat on the ground and have no problems. With the GF on the back my legs want to go right where her toes are. She will slide her feet back but I still wack the rear pegs. I guess I can move them back but she would like rear foot boards too.

I could lower the bike a couple inches but don't want to loose the handling/clearance. I think a narrower seat would help. The stock seat isn't the most comfortable either and would like something softer but that would probably raise the height as well.

I only have less than 300 miles on it so I'm still working things out. Maybe I'll get used to it but I keep thinking I should have tried out a Fat Boy or something.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM
salty01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you hitting the back of your legs on the front of her pegs?

You have to adjust to puttin your legs out a bit, the bike should actually sit a little lower when 2 UP then anything. The other thing i did was to move my riders boards out a bit with a spacer kit. that really helped!

Tyhe SG is a comfortable bike and you are right the OEM seat is a piece of crap..I run a 2up Corbin tourer, lowers me a bit, very comfortable for the last 42000kms, you can also try Mustang. I also run a C&C fastback solo when its just me . I have a quick release backrest and luggage rack for long trips too.

Fat Boy is comfortable like my wofes 07 Heritage but.....the SG has it for the long haul comfort and hard lock gabs too.

Last edited by salty01; 10-09-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM
xd.404life
Tourer

dude, you absolutley got the right bike. try some floor board extensions that will move your feet out and forward a bit should give you plenty of clearence unless your GF has flippers for feet-jk- I love my 09 SG and my OL and ride with no problems (5'9") the best part riding two up does not change the handeling, although I am not an aggresive rider more of a cruiser not so much into getting thru the twisties fast and low.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GF is just 5'2" and barely over 100#'s with tiny feet! I guess I'll look for the foot board spacers. I saw some adjustable rear footboard mounts too that allow you to move them back and forwards as well as up and down. Those would probably help.

Definitely need a different seat but choosing one is the hard part. Everyone's azz is different so what's good for one ain't so much for another. Wish there were a way to test them before buying.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats the fun of it.
Getting "stuff" to make it yours

Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Harley Goodies for extensions ,also forum sponsor great products .
http://harleygoodies.com/pages/fbe_pass.html

Old 10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 683 Posts

While I do like the extensions, I'm not sure how they will help your problem. I would look at how she is putting her foot on the peg. I think she is probably getting a little too comfy and putting her heel on the peg rather than the ball or middle of her foot.

I have an '06 RK Custom and never experience what you are descibing with my girl on the back. Though I do hit my legs on the passenger pegs when I'm backing the bike up and they are down!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
knepp1bj
Road Captain

always fold the begs or boards up backing up the bike. my dad got his leg caught under the passanger board and bike went on to crash bars....rolled right under it

my 08 SG i put the boards on for the gf and she loves em, sometimes my legs hit hers while down and she just moves em back...cant even notice it anymore...

good luck, customize it, and even though i have a vivid black SG LETS SEE SOME PICS!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

Dude wrong bike. You should have bought a Road Glide

Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Have your GF wrap her legs around your waist and keep her feet in your crotch. Problem solved, and more fun for you.

Quick Reply: Did I Buy The Right Bike?