Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head light and passing lamps

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head light and passing lamps

OK, so I thought I knew what I wanted and then I did a search, now I totally confused. [sm=confused06.gif] I want to make my lights brighter, I do not want to spend the kind for money they want for HID lights. So the question is what lights work best? I have an Electra Glide so I need to replace all three up front. The other question is, how do I tell if my passing lamps are sealed or not? Since I am planning on riding out to Sturgis I want something that will help light up the road. I use the Sylvania Sliverstar on my truck and was impressed on how they “seemed” brighter. Thanks for the help…

Alos what number are the lights, I think the headlight is H3 or is it H4? How about the passing lamps?

Old 06-28-2006, 02:01 AM
KY HDRider
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Head light and passing lamps

Like you, I wanted more light. I have an 04 Ultra. I replaced the stock headlight and passing lamps with the new style that are stock on 05 and later models. That helped, the light is much better focused in my opinion. I also replaced stock bulb in my headlight with Sylvania Silverstar. Much brighter whiter light than stock. Headlight bulb is Silverstar part # H4ST.
I am considering going with replacement bulbs in the passing lamps as well, not sure of the correct part number, but possibly Sylvania 881. This number was posted in an old thread on this subject. Now, with the Silverstar in my headlight, and stock 05 model passing lamp bulbs, there is a very noticeable difference in the color of the three lights, passing lamps are yellow compared to white Silverstar headlamp.
I liked the Silverstar bulb in my Ultra so well, I put them in my Blazer too. Big improvement there too.
Hope I did not confuse you more.

Later,
04Ultra

Old 06-28-2006, 02:18 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about the sylvania. I'll check it out tomorrow..

Old 06-28-2006, 09:15 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to offer an opinion here. I was on a group ride a few weeks ago, and the guy behind me had the Yellow Passing lamps on his bagger. Remember it was day-light hours here, those light were so bright and noticeable that I would have never thought that they would be that effective. I think that my next set will be the Yellow ones. I am not talking the bulbs, but the whole lens was Yellow. I am sure that I did see them in the Harley book too.

Bob

Old 06-28-2006, 11:46 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i replaced my passing lamps with GE aircraft landing lights. smooth lens and pencil beams not a spread beam. 2 for $22 at local parts house. i'd have to check the P/N at home but you can tell by looking at their stock.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Ganno57
Tourer

First replace the stock passing lamp bulbs with # 886. The stock bulbs put out 27 watts and the 886 put out 50 watts. This will make a huge difference. Then do some reading here Daniel Stern Lighting
All the hype about putting out more light with their magic bulbs is BS. Look through the Daniel Stern lighting site and get a lighting engineers answer to all the lies.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Sean
Cruiser

please check the size of the wire used in the harness when upgrading lights, especially those that are not designed to be always on. If you double the wattage of the bulb with the voltage the same you will double the current draw and this could lead to heat buildup in the harness and eventually cause a failure. On most lighting relays there is a pin that can be bent or cut that allows the passing lights to stay on with the high beams....I have done this mod in the past on vehicles and ended up with a small fire under the hood because the wire harness for the lights got to hot. Just something to check.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The other question is, how do I tell if my passing lamps are sealed or not?
The sealed beams have the optics (pattern) in the glass. The bulb type have smooth glass, and you can see the bulb inside.

I have Silverstars in everything I drive/ride and am quite happy. They are all standard wattage, so no wire worries.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 05 Ultra, and replaced my headlight bulb with (if I remember correclty) was a PIAA 380-889. I think it draws no more power than the OEM but puts out a lot more light. Anyway, I'd like to get something brighter in my passing lights. My understanding is that on the 05 Ultra I can just replace the bulbs. I'm not interested in re-wiring it, just a brighter bulb would be nice.
Does anyone have the part number or description of the OEM bulb? I'd like to do something like I did for the headlight.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 06-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Joe, Electra Geezer uses a bulb part # 886 that puts out 50 watts instead of 27. I am going to go and try to find it tomorrow, I will let you know.

ORIGINAL: Electra Geezer

First replace the stock passing lamp bulbs with # 886. The stock bulbs put out 27 watts and the 886 put out 50 watts. This will make a huge difference. Then do some reading here Daniel Stern Lighting
All the hype about putting out more light with their magic bulbs is BS. Look through the Daniel Stern lighting site and get a lighting engineers answer to all the lies.

Quick Reply: Head light and passing lamps