Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:05 PM
scarecrow
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler question

I have an 06 Ultra Classic with no engine modifications other that Rinehart True Duals, Stage 1 air cleaner only, Vance & Hines Fuel Pak (DFO). I plan to do a 95 kit within the next year but not yet. I was thinking about putting an oil cooler on the bike to try and cool things down a bit but was told by friends it was not a good idea to put one on a basically stock motor as it was not needed in my area (Central California). I can't see what it would hurt but not being a mechanic I thought I'd throw it out for some discussion and maybe gain a little insight. Thx

Old 06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil cooler question

I don't use synthetic and my oil temp runs around 220F, on 90 deg+ days. I buy a 4 quart jug of oil for the cost of ONE quart of syn. Bike has NEVER gone into heat management, oil cooler....waste of money!

Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '05 RK Classic that, with exception of an SE intake and map, was otherwise factory stock until this spring.
I live in a climate far cooler than that of California. In the past year I was always plagued by my bike going into Heat Management mode in extended stop and go/ slow speed traffic.
This year I added a Super Premium oil cooler, a PCIII, and HD's Touring mufflers. The difference is like night and day. In traffic that would previously have my bike gagging, I have seen no signs whatsoever of the engine getting anywhere near HM mode. I imagine adding the PCIII, richer map, and new slip ons made the biggest contribution to it now running cooler, but I added the cooler first, a couple of months prior to the other mods, and it made a big difference all on it's own.
IMO, the cooler won't do you any harm, with the one exception being your pocketbook.

CN

Old 06-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Redneck
Road Captain

I am sure you are going to get different takes on this subject, but I installed one on my road glide. I live in so. cal where it gets plenty hot with alot of stop and go traffic. It does make a difference just this last weekend went with some friends on a ride with temps. 100+ and checking my oil temp. it stayed around 190 to 206 max. My friend who has the same bike with no oil cooler his temp. was running 210 to 230+ and we checked them at the same time. So it is up to you if you want one or not and if you think they are worth the money, for me I like mine.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it wont hurt...buy a Jag cooler for 189 @ J&P

Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 AM
MntCruiser
Cruiser

Beside price, anyone know the real difference between the HD Premium cooler and the Super Premium cooler?

Old 06-28-2006, 02:21 AM
scarecrow
6th Gear

Can't tell you the difference but according to the stealer in my area the Premium cooler is no longer offered by HD. Don't know why. I rode the Rumble To The Summit out of Fresno Ca. last weekend in about 110-112 degree heat and my synthetic temp was around 230 degrees with my oil pressure guage on my Ultra reading 0-3 lbs pressure at idle (obviously wrong). A friend has an upgraded screaming eagle motor with oil cooler and he was running around 210 degrees. Seems to me it can't hurt anything to run with the oil cooler. By the way, it's not fun ridin in 112 degree heat no matter what your oil temp is running.[sm=bomb.gif]

Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 AM
MntCruiser
Cruiser

I hear you scarecrow! I rode from Visalia to Tehachapi last week, and Delano and Bakersfield were unbearable. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:08 AM
kpshooter
Cruiser

I ride throughout the summer in parades & have debated putting one on mine too. I figure that, along with switching to synthetic, should cool down my RK Police.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

I missed the Rumble to the Summit on Saturday, instead I was in Tehachapi for breakfast and then the Veterans Run.

Temps were hot. By the time we got to Bakersfield that afternoon, it was pushing 110. It was TOO HOT. Central California summer heat is brutal on man, woman and machine.

Anything you can do to get rid of the heat will increase the life of your oil and your engine. If you are going to ride the San Joaquin Valley in the summer, get an oil cooler.

BTW post a report of how the ride up to Huntington Lake went. Pics would be nice.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler question