Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision time: Softail or Touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decision time: Softail or Touring bike

I moved from a Softy (Deluxe) to my RKC a couple years ago, and I have a hanker'n to go back. I gave the RKC a good 2 yrs to win my heart, but I still haven't been fully convinced the RKC is the bike for me. To me the touring bikes are great for a bigger guy who loves, and has time, to tour a lot.

My wife is on the back most of the time, and rode with me on the Deluxe. So I'm torn as to which way I should go. I know the King has the cruise and bags, etc, but my Deluxe had big bags ( I added) as well. Not having cruise is a big downer, I love having that. But being 5'7", I just felt more at home on the Deluxe.

We ride one big trip a year, 3-4K, and lots of day/weekend trips. And I used to love to jump on my old bike and run to the store, but I just don't feel like it's as much fun as my King for short trips.

I've got the go ahead to get a detach fairing for the King, but until I decide, I'm not anteing up the money. It's a huge decision, and a very tough one at that.

Has anyone done this and then kicked themselves? Do I need to keep the King? I'm going to test out a few bikes, Deluxe and Heritage, on Friday and I want to hear any pro's and con's to my decision.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you ask ? Go back.... it's you that has to ride it and be happy with it. No more miles than you go as a 2 up team, your riding comfort is #1.. Be happy with what you need to feel comfortable. Ride safe and be happy with whatever you choose.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touring bike.

PS. You posted this in the touring section <grin>

Dave

Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
newdep332
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both.....I had a itch for a Softail so I was looking on choppers exchange and found a 2000 Heritage Classic with a 95 inch big bore. It only has 27,000 on it and the big bore only has 11,000.

It is 12 hours a way so I had them send me photos and let me hear it run on the phone.LOL Going to head up there tomorrow and if it is as clean as it looks she will be riding in my trailer on Fri.

Some great deals on there if you wait for the right one. Just saying!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you've had BOTH bikes and had them plenty long enough to know their pluses and minuses I'd say go back to what you like best. What suits YOU and your needs and likes is all that matters. At 5'7 I can see where a Deluxe might be a better fit and you know that bike well and liked it alot, so go for it.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the Deluxe better go for it. You could always rent a Tourer for your longer trip. Make sure you talk it over with the Mrs first though to make sure she is as comfortable on another bike.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Geez Johnny, your Road King is GORGEOUS!!!!!

I too love the Deluxe but it is only half the bike of an Electra Glide IMO. Your call and good luck!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with your gut! I could have gotten any bike at the dealer but chose the Heritage because it just FIT! Go with your gut & don't look back. As stated above, you could always rent a RKC if you felt you needed one for one reason or another. Good luck with your decision.

Clay

Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ripper43
Why do you ask ?
Because it's a tough decision and I want to talk it through, and this forum has a lot of good people who can digest this and answer with a great amount of insight. Some I may not have even considered.

Originally Posted by EastSideBikerTrash
Touring bike.

PS. You posted this in the touring section <grin>

Dave
Yeah, and I've asked the same in the Softy forum. Thanks for the grin though...............

Originally Posted by newdep332
Both.....I had a itch for a Softail so I was looking on choppers exchange and found a 2000 Heritage Classic with a 95 inch big bore. It only has 27,000 on it and the big bore only has 11,000.

It is 12 hours a way so I had them send me photos and let me hear it run on the phone.LOL Going to head up there tomorrow and if it is as clean as it looks she will be riding in my trailer on Fri.

Some great deals on there if you wait for the right one. Just saying!
I wish I had your money, I'd have never sold my Softail.

Originally Posted by Arizona
Since you've had BOTH bikes and had them plenty long enough to know their pluses and minuses I'd say go back to what you like best. What suits YOU and your needs and likes is all that matters. At 5'7 I can see where a Deluxe might be a better fit and you know that bike well and liked it alot, so go for it.
I have no problem handling the bike, it's just the feel and.............. well, I just can't quite explain it. I just had more "fun" on the old bike. The RKC is a great bike, but it's, it's..............Different.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ITs true your the one that has to ride it, but I can't believe you don't just love to jump on the king and ride to...well...any where, I love mine, ride it as much as I possibly can, just saying.
Terry

Edited to say: I had just bought a brand new Yamaha Vstar, I loved that bike, rode it all the time, got a GREAT deal on the RKC, always kind of thought I had turned my back on the Yamaha, kept it but my wife and kids ride it, anyway here a couple of weeks ago I had an opportunity to ride/think of buying a Yamaha Stratoliner, that is one fast powerful bike, thought about it a little wile, now I realize the king is king, it made me love this thing even more,
TM

Last edited by TMair; 10-07-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Decision time: Softail or Touring bike