Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is enough? (Big Bore conversation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:19 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How much is enough? (Big Bore conversation)

In our quest to maximize a 105 year old design, at what point do we say enough is enough?

I have been bitten and the venom is going to be toxic to the wallet I can already tell. As some may know I just put together a conservative 103 Big Bore build and extreme attention was given to detail. The build at present runs extremely well and pulls NOTICEABLY stronger over stock. I love the results, but I find myself pondering on wanting more. WTF?!?!?

Is this feeling normal? Am I premature in feeling this way? Am I chasing a dream that I can't ever catch? I need counseling from the motoheads on what to take to rid myself of this emotional rollercoaster. Does this condition carry a poor prognosis, or even worse, is it TERMINAL?

Do we ever satisfy that deep seeded urge to have it all without sacrificing the integrity of the machine itself? I'm stumped.

Feedback please. Am I going to need to buy more tools?

HELP!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Like a kid heading towards Disney Land "are we there yet?...are we there yet...?"
Just be patient, I figure I'll recognize it if/when I get there.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sir, new tools are in order...They'll save you in the long run.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

it's terminal... i give you six months

Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did a 95" and cams a few months ago and can't see going any bigger.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just be thankful you don't have another bike LOL. I built my 103 about a month ago and next week we are starting on a 107 for my fatbob with 615 cams. It's gonna be a quick bike for sure.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
confused
Road Captain

I followed your build and will be getting my SE255 CAM Only install back at the end of the week.
As for when is enough enough?
I know in the back of my mind that this is a 900 lb. touring bike and understand that it is not a drag bike. Well that is what I am telling myself.
If after I go through this, and I want more, then I my look into a bike that really wants to go fast and can handle more.
I just got my FREE Cyclists magazine and they have a article about the Buell 1125RR and how BADASS it is. They say that the 1098 is very close.
That said I am telling myself that this CAM Only build will be enough!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Heres my $.02. I have been reading about your build and I think what you will have should suffice....for that particular bike anyway. It sounds like you have a need for speed and if you want to dance the dance, you have to pay the piper. What Im getting at is IMO I think you should buy a lighter bike too like a sportster or dyna or what I have is a softail custom (for fun and a RKC you see below for touring which is also fun). I bought the 95 FXSTC you can see on my profile for $6000 with only 3400 original miles on it. Im about to do some headwork, high compression pistons, crane ignition and I bought a SE-57 cam for it. I will also be putting in a barnett clutch probably. This will be about a 95 hp evo when its all done and it will not "come onto cam" till probably around 3200 rpm. On a light bike like it is, it should be almost scary fast.

If you keep going with your UC, Im sure you know that you will lose dependability and therefore streetability. You seem like you like to ride alot so I think the cure for what ales you is 2 bikes. Sweet ride you got there by the way. Its all in the details....which I can see you pay close attention to.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

It never ends!

Did a 107 in the ultra until the crank goes south, then likely a 117

Old 10-07-2009, 11:36 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

150,000 miles on a stock 96" is enough. I hoping for that...

lp

Quick Reply: How much is enough? (Big Bore conversation)