Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for high hp tourers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilM
You are f'ing up, right outa the gate, by focusing strictly on HP.

What will make your Bagger MOVE is BIG TORQUE. In addition to that, it needs to have good ~ great "rideability". In many cases, motors that look great on paper (read: big number dyno sheet, real or fake) have HORRIBLE rideability.

In the end, you are not gonna be riding the bike at 100% throttle (WFO / redline) very often ~ which is where that "peak" HP number occurs. I'm gonna bet you spend 90+ % of your riding time at or below 35~40% throttle.

Do yourself a favor (save $$) and focus on what actually matters, which is torque in the part of the RPM range where you spend the majority of you time.

Do not confuse to Torque vs. HP with slow vs fast! On your HeavyAzz Bagger, torque will get it moving and accelerating from the bottom to top....

I would also dispute the dealers "claim" that he can build you a S/E 103 that will make 130HP. Sorry.... not gonna happen, **BUT** if it did, I can all but guaranty you that it would be a turd for that other 90% of your riding experience.

FWIW.... My 120 only makes right at 120 HP, but what matters is the fact that it makes torque in the range of 150 AND it's VERY "rideable". Crisp, quick, fast in all conditions.

Now for the answer to your question... The cruise control works just fine!

Do your homework BEFORE you make that decision. If not, you will be saving $$ again to "do it right" on Round II.
I'm in full agreement with what you're saying. I'm very familiar with dyno charts, as I've had two Dodge Cummins 4x4's with more mods than I can count. When I built my first one, it made 555hp and 963lbs of torque. It had a HUGE turbo and wasn't very streetable. It was all top end, and it also made it worse since I had a 6-speed manual. I'd have to recover boost between every shift. The torque curve on the graph looked a lot like the hp curve. Peaky for sure.

I swapped out the turbo for a smaller one, and ended up with 501hp and 943 lbs of torque. The difference was that the new turbo spooled WAY earlier, like 1000 rpm earlier, and the torque curve was almost flat. Way more fun to drive as well.

I mentioned hp 'cuz that's what everyone seems to refer to. But, rest assured, I'm going with cams that are going to make torque.

The Screamin' Eagle Stage IV 103 looks to be a good deal. Jugs, pistons, 110+ heads, 58mm throttle body, Super tuner, clutch spring, gaskets and 260 cams for $2400. What do you guys think? And oh yeah, I'll ditch the 260's.

Last edited by JCleary; 10-08-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My .02, the LAST place I'd go for performance upgrades is to HD/SE. I'd look to one of the combo packages offered by S&S, Hillside, GMR, R&R, HQ, Zippers, etc...and lots of others.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnert
My .02, the LAST place I'd go for performance upgrades is to HD/SE. I'd look to one of the combo packages offered by S&S, Hillside, GMR, R&R, HQ, Zippers, etc...and lots of others.
Is it a matter of price? Or quality? I just figured that 10.5 to 1 compression pistons, nice SE heads, and aftermarket cams would make for a nice build. $2k OTD for the parts including a race tuner seams like a pretty good deal to me.

I priced out head work, seems like a good set of worked heads are $1100 or so. Add to that cams, pistons, jugs, adjustable push rods, tuner etc., and you're in the same price range or more than the SE Stage IV setup.

Just asking, 'cuz I don't know any better...

Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timvan
Your buddies dyna is not a 2008 or later throttle by wire bike.

No it's an 05' 95" Dyna. I think it's carbuerated also. If it EFI it's got bigger injectors. Guess I should look a little closer, but I know the numbers are true cause bikes legendary in the valley!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 PM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scootertramp
No it's an 05' 95" Dyna. I think it's carbuerated also. If it EFI it's got bigger injectors. Guess I should look a little closer, but I know the numbers are true cause bikes legendary in the valley!
Makes a big difference! The TBW bikes are not putting out big #'s

Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really?Why is TBW a problem? just curious....

Last edited by scootertramp; 10-08-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers
Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary

The Screamin' Eagle Stage IV 103 looks to be a good deal. Jugs, pistons, 110+ heads, 58mm throttle body, Super tuner, clutch spring, gaskets and 260 cams for $2400. What do you guys think? And oh yeah, I'll ditch the 260's.
I wouldnt spend the money on the throttle body for a 103. From what I have read the big TB will only make a difference on 113"s or bigger. Does the TB come with the big injectors or are you re using the stock??

What pipes??

If it was me and I wanted a mild build I would go S&S - 106", gear drive cams, heads, but I am a bit myopic around S&S because I am so happy with my build.

There are lots of SE 103s around and people seem happy with them.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
Is it a matter of price? Or quality? I just figured that 10.5 to 1 compression pistons, nice SE heads, and aftermarket cams would make for a nice build. $2k OTD for the parts including a race tuner seams like a pretty good deal to me.

I priced out head work, seems like a good set of worked heads are $1100 or so. Add to that cams, pistons, jugs, adjustable push rods, tuner etc., and you're in the same price range or more than the SE Stage IV setup.

Just asking, 'cuz I don't know any better...
It's really not a question of price or quality. It's about putting together a package of parts that are designed to compliment one another to achieve YOUR goals.

Those SE Heads may look cool, but in talking to a lot of people in the know, they are overkill for all but very large displacement motors. Compression is another thing you need to consider. You need to consider the dynamic compression (how much cylinder pressure is the engine making) in addition to static compression (10.5:1). Dynamic compression is where the cam specs come in.

Re-read PhilM's post. There is excellent advice in there.

Zach

Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scootertramp
Really?Why is TBW a problem? just curious....
Nobody knows where the issue lies, the only factor is that all the built TBW bikes are putting out lower #'s than a non TBW bike with the same build.