Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Lock 2006

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 AM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Lock 2006

Did a search on this & didn't find this specific info... If it's a respost I apologize.

Yesterday at the dealer the tech showed me a recall bulletin that said all baggers except roadking built from June 11 05 to mid march 06 had defective steering locks. They were replacing one on a street glide.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:11 AM
nodice
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering Lock 2006

funny you should mention that ... just a month ago i went out for a scoot and stopped for quick look around and locked the steering column ... went back to unlock it and it would come back up and turn - but the pin stayed down in and locked ... i fiddled with it for 45 minutes to make sure it wasn't another case of operator error and called the dealer to come a get me ... this is a 2006 street glide that i bought in October '05 ...

the dealer never mentioned the recall - but they did replace the unit for no charge .... they also replaced the %^& $# radio too since that had been on the fritz since i got it ...

despite the issues i love the bike and the company is taking care of the problems ....

Old 06-27-2006, 11:35 AM
jfanton
Road Captain

I don't see it in the tech tips forum. Can this bulletin be found on the web?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
alazlo
Road Master

I gotta stop by the dealership today. I'll get a bulletin number off of it.

Ref radio... put the second one in yesterday because the first wouldn’t play CDs. Called them today and told them to order another because the second one won't play CD's either...

Old 06-27-2006, 12:40 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had my steering lock replaced, TWICE!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

Note to self: DON'T LOCK STEERING

Old 06-27-2006, 06:55 PM
scarecrow
6th Gear

I too had the steering lock break on me. In my case it would not unlock for a few minutes and then when it finally did it would not lock the forks anymore. It would look like it was locked but the pin was not engaged. Of coarse this all happened when I was a long way from home. Also just 2 weeks ago I had a throttle cable break on me (again in the middle of nowhere). Lucky for me my local HD dealer owner was with me and he took my return throttle cable and rigged it so it was now my main throttle cable (not hard to do IF you know how to do it) and that was enough to get me to the closest HD dealer for a proper fix. A direct quote from my HD dealer "These things never break". Right......! This makes it the second time my throttle cable has broken. First time was on my 03 Road King Classic with less than 4000 miles on it and this time on my 06 Ultra Classic with about 5000 miles on it. Never believe anyone who says "these things never break". Now I always carry a spare throttle cable.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member

You have to baby these things to keep them from failing. I'll be interested to see what my dealer has to say now; they wouldn't replace it for me last fall.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

I have had problems with my steering lock also, mine is an 05 UC. I even went to the dealer and was told that it was me, the service walked out and lock my forks with no problems. So feeling stupid I rode away, while riding yesterday I could not get the forks to lock. If there is a recall of a bulletin I would like to know about it so I can go back and show them that I am not crazy. It was to the point that I would have to “jam” the handlebars to the left to get it to lock. Do you have the number? Thanks…

Old 06-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Steele
Cruiser

Damn, haven't had any problems with mine, yet (only had the bike a month). Guess I need to check with my dealership and not use the steering lock for the time being.

Quick Reply: Steering Lock 2006