Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't cigarette lighter charge iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009 | 08:20 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

The power cord for Ipods, gps's are designed for 12 volt power not a cigarette lighter power source.
Although they look the same they are slightly different.
I had the same problem with a gps. It worked fine for a while then stopped working . Had to hard wire it. Most likely there isn't anything wrong with either, they just will not work together.
hot95hog The tit on the cord is probably not contacting the middle of the socket, it happens with some cord cigarette outlets

Old 10-07-2009 | 11:09 AM
bagger al
Intermediate

I had the same problem with my chargers. For some reason they would not charge. The cigarette lighter worked fine. I replaced the whole assembly with an accessory plug which looks just like a cigarette lighter and no modifications needed. All problems solved!!!

Old 10-07-2009 | 11:22 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
The power cord for Ipods, gps's are designed for 12 volt power not a cigarette lighter power source.
I had the same problem with a gps. It worked fine for a while then stopped working . Had to hard wire it. Most likely there isn't anything wrong with either, they just will not work together.

Go for a hardwired piece from powerlet. They work great. I use on on the softail. http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...son/11#formtop

Old 10-07-2009 | 11:30 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Go for a hardwired piece from powerlet. They work great. I use on on the softail. http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...son/11#formtop
Now that's what i'm talking about!!!!

Old 10-07-2009 | 12:02 PM
sikirt
Stage I
Default Why won't cigarette lighter charge iPod?

On my 07 EGC the lighter socket was wired backward. The center contact was the ground and the case was 12v. Check it with a dc voltmeter. This doesn't matter to a lighter, but won't work on anything that needs 12v center contact. Fairly easy to remove the outer fairing and reverse the leads.

Old 10-07-2009 | 12:03 PM
RockyMtnRG
|
Advanced

Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys. Bagger AL, can you point me to the accessory plug you referred to? It sounds like this or a powerlet option is the way to go.

Old 10-07-2009 | 12:22 PM
Stroknvettn
Intermediate

I was half asleep when I responded earlier, and forgot to suggest that some power cords/supplies have "smart" technology incorporated into their design, usually when they are intended for items that can be sensitive to particular voltage inputs. Now I'm gonna talk out my butt for a second, but if the ammeter on my 'Glide is accurate- and I've seen this on a number of various 'Glides- The charge rate shows in the neighborhood of 15v, which could be causing the charger itself to do it's job by disallowing harm to be done to your electronic device.

I'd think if this were the particular case, you'd just be adding an auxilliary power source with the aforementioned plug, which will cause you the same problem unless you rectify the voltage issue. I guess that's why they call those lil' electrical parts "rectifiers", lol... But, I think you'd be able to find something somewhere to mitigate that facet of the problem, if in fact I have surmised correctly...

Good luck- You may help me solve my similar problem, which I didn't realize I may have! The only good thing about the new Razr is the quality of it's battery, which allows me to yak all day on a charge, and if I'm out late, I can grab some juice from under some sweetie's bar while I have a beer... Yikes!!! Is there a battery upgrade for you Ipod?

-Strok-

Old 10-07-2009 | 12:44 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stroknvettn
I was half asleep when I responded earlier, and forgot to suggest that some power cords/supplies have "smart" technology incorporated into their design, usually when they are intended for items that can be sensitive to particular voltage inputs. Now I'm gonna talk out my butt for a second, but if the ammeter on my 'Glide is accurate- and I've seen this on a number of various 'Glides- The charge rate shows in the neighborhood of 15v, which could be causing the charger itself to do it's job by disallowing harm to be done to your electronic device.

I'd think if this were the particular case, you'd just be adding an auxilliary power source with the aforementioned plug, which will cause you the same problem unless you rectify the voltage issue. I guess that's why they call those lil' electrical parts "rectifiers", lol... But, I think you'd be able to find something somewhere to mitigate that facet of the problem, if in fact I have surmised correctly...

Good luck- You may help me solve my similar problem, which I didn't realize I may have! The only good thing about the new Razr is the quality of it's battery, which allows me to yak all day on a charge, and if I'm out late, I can grab some juice from under some sweetie's bar while I have a beer... Yikes!!! Is there a battery upgrade for you Ipod?

-Strok-
The Ultra has a volt meter, not an ammeter. A running bike does have 14 some odd volts, but so does a car. The charger should be able to compensate for that with no problem.

Old 10-07-2009 | 01:32 PM
Iamopie2
Cruiser

I got the plug in cigarette lighter from HD and it charges my ipod just fine.

I have it running to my sadlebag

Old 10-07-2009 | 02:10 PM
kyote
Road Master

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Umm.. the cigarette lighter power source IS 12V.....

Last edited by kyote; 10-07-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Why won't cigarette lighter charge iPod?