Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't cigarette lighter charge iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009 | 10:51 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new bike!

Old 10-08-2009 | 01:33 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

I confess that I did not read all 4 pages of this thread; so someone may have suggested this already: The lighter socket is not the same as a 12V socket. If you buy the accessory socket from HD you can replace the one in your fairing in a few minutes; which is what I did. Remove the 7 screws that hold the front fairing on; unplug the wires to the existing socket, unscrew the housing on the socket and it comes right out. Put the new one in its place and you’re done. The accessory socket also has a nice rubber style cover that has the HD logo so you can plug it up when not in use. The new accessory port also comes complete with the proprietary connector for the accessory connector on the bike; which you can then use for something else since you wont use it for this situation; kind of a bonus.

Old 10-08-2009 | 11:29 PM
RockyMtnRG
|
Advanced

Vistavette, is the accessory socket you bought PN# 91843-97 (shown in Karz's most recent reply) or something else? Did you need to splice any wires or does it plug in where the cigarette lighter is currently? This would be a nice solution, although I'm a bit reluctant to take off the RG outer fairing (having not done it before). I'm thinking I'll either give this a try or go for one of the powerlet products. Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

Old 10-09-2009 | 09:13 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Yes; that is the same part. The wires are held on with a blade connector; so there is no cutting or splicing to be done; just pull off the connector from the new socket and use the existing wires in your fairing. I am assuming that your RG is the same as my Ultra Classic; it should be very similar. I had the same fear when I thought about taking off the front of my fairing but I found that it was really easy and quick. I'm sure someone on here has done it and would give you a "play by play" instruction for your bike.

Old 10-09-2009 | 09:19 AM
karz10
Road Master

I can't speak for vista but I'm pretty sure that the part he's talking about is what I linked to. I think what he's saying is you can use the power port portion of this device in place of the cig lighter in the fairing, using the process he mentioned of removing the outer fairing, etc., so you'd only be using the port housing itself, and then the wires that came w/ the accessory could possibly be used for something else later.

Under my seat on my RKC, there is a black and orange deutsch connector that has 4 prongs inside. One is ground, one has power when brakes are applied, one has power when ignition is on, and one has power when the accessory (or ignition) is on. This accessory comes prewired w/ the other end of a deutsch connector on it, so it plugs right into the connector under the seat.

The wires on this accessory are quick connect blade connectors, so they pop right off of the housing, but are still attached to the deutsch connector.

I don't know what is all inside the fairing, there's a pretty good chance that the port in the fairing has a similar design w/ removable blade connectors where it's an easy swap, but I have no idea, maybe someone can chime in on that part. (ETA: looks like he came back and did confirm that already, cool)

Old 10-09-2009 | 10:32 AM
RockyMtnRG
|
Advanced

Thanks again, gents. I think this will be first on the winter projects list (looks like it will be an early one this year here in CO).

Old 10-09-2009 | 10:35 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
It's not designed to power high amp products, but ipod don't pull many amps. High amperage products will blow the fuse.
It's not just the amps, the physical dimensions won't allow most chargers to fit in the socket.

Old 10-10-2009 | 09:33 PM
Stroknvettn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Harley riders aren't supposed to even own a cell phone, iPod, etc, and they're all supposed to smoke something. Geeeeees
Uhhhhh...... I'm a high-tech Headneck...

-Strok-

Old 10-10-2009 | 09:35 PM
Stroknvettn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dog116929
"...and the tit will not make contact, the shafts on some adaptors have a neck not allowing them to make contact."
ROFLMAO!!!

-Strok-

Old 10-10-2009 | 10:15 PM
imrotton2
Road Master

all cig lighters sockets have tabs inside that pinch together to hold things in ... a loose pinch dont hold charger tight....try just bending the tabs inward just a little

Quick Reply: Why won't cigarette lighter charge iPod?