Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgive my ignorance, but....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts

The StreetGlide seat isn't the most comfortable in the world. It's made to be low and not cushy. For me, the AirHawk is the way to go. I just use it when I'm travelling a hundred miles or more. It takes some adjusting to get the right amount of air in it. Some say it makes them set too high, but it shouldn't if you have the air right. Need to use as little air as possible. It shouldn't raise you up more than 1/2 inch.
Randy

Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreatLevel Midnight
I have never ridden any kind of bagger for any length of time. I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour last summer (2,000 miles in 5 days) on my 1200 Custom and the ONLY "complaint" I'd have is that the seat was uncomfortable after a couple hours. (And yes, I've tried LOTS of them, no luck.)

I have always ASSUMED (and I know the dangers therein) that baggers have really comfy long distance seats, either stock or other HD or aftermarket.

Do they??

Thanks amigos,
TLM
The stock bagger seats may be more comfortable than the other bikes, but that's not saying much. Most, if not all have swapped their stock seat for something else. I'd say the most common aftermarket is Mustang. The HD Road Zeppelin seat is a great one, but I don't think it would fit your 1200. There's numerous aftermarket seats, and it depends on your sitting style, weight, etc on the 'comfort' of a particular seat. In other words, what may be comfortable to me, might feel like sitting on bricks to you. It may have been posted previously, but you might want to consider getting your seat refurbished from Mean City. They have several different options to enhance your stock (or aftermarket) seat. Might be worth a phone call.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My stock Ultra Classic seat was pretty dog-gone comfortable. I rode 926 miles in 17 hours, only making pit-stops and for fuel.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trips to Daytona(580 miles or so) DC (380 miles) with stock seat and it's not to bad. On my list of want's at the top is a custom from http://www.meancitycycles.com/ I think that my oem is wore out from my bigazz sitting on it all the time.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Still has the Stock Seat with about $100.00 (Including Shipping) to Mean City for Memory Foam treatment and can ride it all day now in comfort..

Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

mine as well ,comfortable on stock 2008 ultra seat
i think it has more to do with training your ***... take a lot of long trips and your *** gets smarter

Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Three Ultras one Classic, all with stock seats. Over 100K each on three of them. Stock seat fits me, I suppose. Did a 1000 mile day on the old '86 Classic too!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The bikes weight and the suspension add to the comfort of the touring bikes.
A huge factor is the seating position(s) floorboards and highway pegs allow me to adjust and stretch my legs.

My '08 Ultra seat (stock) is just fine. Took a few hundred miles to break it in but I haven't thought about changing it since. Lots of guys try several custom seats before finding the right one for them. I often wonder if they give the seats enough time to break in.

If you don't have a sheepskin seat cover, highway pegs and a windshield they are the first things I'd add.

Last edited by piasspj; 10-07-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 AM
SparkyL
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Road King Stock Seat Good So Far

I upgraded from a '09 XL 1200 C to a '09 Road King Standard last week. First day I had it, I rode 190 miles round trip. The stock seat was fine for me. I can't flat foot the RK like I could the Sporty, but the seat was comfortable.
The Road King is so much smoother than the Sporty, it's remarkable. I used to get a headache after 90 minutes on the Sporty, I think from the buzz coming through the handlebars up my arms into my brain! Not the kind of buzz I like. 95 miles of freeway riding on the Road King was delightful in comparison. I have discovered my 2 wheel love!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Corbin for my seats for the last 6-7 bikes. I didn't even bring this bike home without a Corbin seat. Stock seats just don't seem to provide the support required (for me) for long distance riding, of which I do a lot...

Quick Reply: Forgive my ignorance, but....