Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please HELP..need air cleaner/muffler advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP..need air cleaner/muffler advice

Hi....I need some help or advice....

Just purchased an 09 Street Glide...Love the bike, but I would like to add an S & S Single Bore Tuned induction kit and I want to replace the stock exhaust system.

I've done a ton of reading, but I'm still having a hard time deciding on the exhaust. I had Rinehart true duals on my 07 Ultra and I'm thinking of using them again, but I would also like to try something new. I'm not looking for pipes that will make me deaf, however I want someting a louder than stock, with a nice deep throaty sound.

As for the induction kit I really like the look of the two filters, so I'm pretty sure that's the air cleaner I'll get.

My other question is do I get a thundermax, power commander ecm or do I just get it re mapped at the dealer. I won't be doing any more modifications, so I'm wondering which is the best route to take. I've also done a ton of reading on this and I've even been told by a Harley mechanic, not to re map as the stock computer SHOULD pick up and make necessary adjustments for the air cleaner and pipes. What are you thoughts/suggestions. Thanks in advance

Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I won't be doing any more modifications,......
Hmmmmm,..... how many times I have said that before,...... LOL

You will get very many opinions on this subject.
I am running a SERT (and love it), but I went a lil further with mods.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Rineharts are good but load. Most air cleaner kits work better than stock. Try a pair of slippons that don't a big wide open baffle.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 PM
jfab6969
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree with the dealer that told you no download needed for for exhaust & air filter change. Thats just flat out wrong.

I would reccomend a full controller instead of just the download. You never know what the future will bring and more adjustability is always better. Pros & cons to all the different ones so I wont comment there.

I have had the slip ons & now the V&H duals. I like both but did notice a loss of bottom end grunt after installing the true dual pipes. This is to be expected, but its the first bike thatI actually noticed it on. But even this is a nitpick.
As far as what pipes for sound, hit a local spot for a bike night or a poker run. Most riders are more than happy to tell you whats on their bike, once you hear something you like.

Good luck & have fun

Old 10-07-2009, 12:55 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 2067
I won't be doing any more modifications, so I'm wondering which is the best route to take.
I just HAD to pull that out as well. You're already in quicksand my friend, you just don't know it yet. Don't look down now but your up to your knees already. The only solution is to run quickly to the shredder and stick your credit card in. But you and I both know it's already too late. I wonder what your third exhaust system will be, not just your first...

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I could be wrong, but I don't think todays Rineharts TD's are made the same as they were a few years ago. I hear a lot less people raving about them and myself doesn't even think they sound as good as they used to. Could be my imagination, but you might be dissapointed there.

Play with some different slip-ons. (as was said already)
Rush slip-ons with a 1 3/4" baffle might be a good choice.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Rocco18
Advanced

I have True Duals Rineharts with the Zipper's Thurder Max, no O2 sensors(closed loop), and the Zipper's High Flow air cleaner. I put this set up on right after my first oil change and service and now have over 30k on my '06 Classic. The Rineharts have lost some of their luster, just the head pipes, but they sound better now then they did in the beginning. I have had the Thunder Max tuned a couple times by Zippers since they are in my back yard but other then that
I LOVE THE SETUP!!! GREAT Sound GREAT Look and a little more HP!!

Remember I bought everything about 3 years ago so I have the old style Rine's but I still think they're a nice pipe. If I change anything I would go closed loop and complete the job. But anything you do you're going to have to spend some coin. About $1200 to 1500 easy!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
hawg20
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how you feel, The more I read the dumber I got!! I installed the SE air cleaner and the V&H ovals. I then talked to my dealer and he said no HD download but get a SERT and 6 hours of dino time for a total of over $800. I called Jamie at Fuel Moto and he said no HD download just a PowerCommander V, cost I think was $329. Install time was about 15 min. I used the extra buck for some bling. I only had to make 1 adjustment to the map that Jamie installed to cure some popping on decel. 6000 miles later I'd do the same thing again. Good luck on your search. P.S. The extra hp and cooler bike is worth the cost.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Thanks to all for the help, and yes I agree sometimes the more I read the dumber I feel. I think I will speak to Jamie @ Fuelmotto....alot of good comments regarding him and it appears that they're always willing to lend a hand.thanks again..........

Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
tallrider07
Banned

You can never go wrong with K&N for moving the air, and a good 2 into 1 exhaust...that's going to give you the best performance.