Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HB 125 primary tensioner install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 02:17 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HB 125 primary tensioner install

After Ted's post and having already planned on adding a tensioner, I installed the Hot Bike HB 125 hydraulic unit today. Install is basically simple, and I was changing fluids anyway so in she went. I would say it's a hour and a half job, including clean up, when you get the outer primary off, the tensioner install is ten minutes.

The reason for the post is, if you do this job, the torx head bolts holding the factory tension adjust plate to the motor should be removed with a hammer impact wrench. They are super tight I guess with red type loc-tite similar thread loc and you could strip the head if you don't use a hammer impact. The reason I know this is my friend that had installed three of them in his HD's had already been thru the stripped head mess on his first install.

John TN

Old 05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HB 125 primary tensioner install

Thanks for the advice - and yes, there is locktite in there - I didn't think it was red, but, sounds like it. Rather than using an impact wrench which still may strip the threads, I'd personally use a heat gun - then a nice big wrench. I just replaced the shifter pedals on my RK and they were using red loctite from the factory. Was an easy job after heating them up.