Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
callipygian
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an Ultra Classic

I rode to Ft. Lauderdale this past summer for vacation (about 4200+ of riding in about 2 weeks) The gf flew down and back since my bike isn't large enough to carry us both and all the things she would "require" to pack. Hence, we are in the market for a touring bike. She's very excited to make some much longer trips.
Initially I started looking at the yamahas, but my biggest drawback is that the import dealers are not willing to allow any type of test ride at all. I really have an issue with that. I don't know anyone that owns the Royal Star Venture for me to test ride, either. My other choice, naturally, is the Ultra Classic. I haven't test ridden one yet, but have only looked at some used ones and sat down on a few of them. Chatted with the owner of one dealership briefly, but will be headed back with the gf this friday so she can get a look.
My questions are about the bike, specifically the pros and the cons. I like to be as informed as possible before I purchase, so please be honest and objective. I do not ride labels, I ride a motorcycle. I will ride anything that is comfortable and makes me happy. I will ignore any replys that start with "harley is better than 'insert import model here' because..." Every bike has there "thing(s)" that give them character, if you will. What should I look for on the used bikes in this model? anything that has a history of failing? How about it's very strong points? The stuff that completely outweighs minor shortcomings. Thank you in advance for your help. I will continue to search through the forums to try and answer my questions in the mean time, but please feel free to post any links to other discussions where these questions have already been answered.

Mike

Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well where do I start... Ultra Classic, handlebar mounted batwing, extra weight on the handlebars, vastly improved handling on the 2009 over previous years due to frame, wheels and other changes made. Can be made "your own" with all the extra HD components you can add, although Yamaha gets it with its aftermarket products.

One of the things I have noticed on mine after having 2 previous Ultra's is that the passenger floor rest is located closer to my legs when coming to a stop, while not a deal breaker it has taken some getting used to.

Have had Goldwings and will put my Ultra ride comfort up against the gold wing. I am 6'3" and the gold wing does not fit me like my ultra.

just some thoughts...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want to ride "4200+ of riding in about 2 weeks" with a passenger next time, then yes you need an Ultra.

Here's what I would have you think about:

I don’t know what year it started, but Harleys are now very reliable, compared to the old days that their reputation still has for metric riders.

1) '06 and older have a 5 gallon gas tank and a 5 speed transmission

2) '07 have a 5 gallon gas tank and a 6 speed transmission

3) '08 has a 6 gallon gas tank, 6 speed transmission and a frame designed 27 years ago

4) ’09 and newer has 6 gallon gas tank, 6 speed transmission and a new frame design

There are other differences, but I will let the hoards of Ultra owners explain those.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I seriously considered the Goldwing, the new Kawasaki 1700 Touring model (eliminated early in my comparison), and the BMW touring bike before I bought my 2009 Ultra. Here is what pushed me Harley (besides always wanting one). The dealer network. I found that when I walk into almost any Harley dealer they know their stuff; have what I need; and are usually great to deal with. There are a few HD dealers on the web that will give 20% or so off parts/accessories as well. I also found that the quality of most of the HD stuff is really good and well thought out; that goes for bike parts as well as clothing like Jackets for example. Extras that you may need are plentiful and reasonably priced compared to stuff for the imports as well as the aftermarket. Since there are so many HD touring bikes sold there is almost always an answer to any issue you can come up with. When I go into the Japanese import dealers in my area (Las Vegas) the sales guys kind of sometimes know what their talking, many of the sales guys in the Japanese stores here I found don’t ride on the street, they ride dirt only. As you said; no test rides, and the regular service for is more expensive (at least here in Vegas) for them than the HD. The BMW was out for me for mainly for the same reasons; but the big one is that my dealer here is just not good at all and we only have the one. Most BMW stores I have been to elsewhere I found knowledgeable and accommodating; but the network and availability if far less than HD.
As far as the bikes go; the HD is a bit underpowered compared to the others; a BMW or Goldwing will blow by you. The others bikes do have a few features that would make life nice; for example the built in heated accessories on the Honda as well as the NAV; liquid cooling; the power windshield on the BMW is awesome; it eliminates helmet buffeting with the touch of a button and can change your ride to suit you at any moment; the power center stand on the BMW is cool to. Both the Honda and the BMW are smooth as glass with power to spare. I like the floor boards on the HD much better; I put Highway pegs on my bike as well and I never want to stop riding; the HD is really comfortable. The Honda and BMW use pegs and your legs/feet are in a more neutral position as opposed to the HD Floorboards that puts you in a more relaxed position with the controls somewhat forward.

All said; when I walk out to my garage I cant help but take a moment to look at my Ultra; I love that bike. Riding down the road with the radio on and the HD V-Twin rumble makes my day. In the end; buy what you want and get excited over; the other options may have been “better bikes” based on pure logic and figures but I don’t regret a single moment and I never question myself on whether I did the right thing or not.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,175 Likes on 7,361 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I seriously considered the Goldwing, the new Kawasaki 1700 Touring model (eliminated early in my comparison), and the BMW touring bike before I bought my 2009 Ultra. Here is what pushed me Harley (besides always wanting one). The dealer network. I found that when I walk into almost any Harley dealer they know their stuff; have what I need; and are usually great to deal with. There are a few HD dealers on the web that will give 20% or so off parts/accessories as well. I also found that the quality of most of the HD stuff is really good and well thought out; that goes for bike parts as well as clothing like Jackets for example. Extras that you may need are plentiful and reasonably priced compared to stuff for the imports as well as the aftermarket. Since there are so many HD touring bikes sold there is almost always an answer to any issue you can come up with. When I go into the Japanese import dealers in my area (Las Vegas) the sales guys kind of sometimes know what their talking, many of the sales guys in the Japanese stores here I found don’t ride on the street, they ride dirt only. As you said; no test rides, and the regular service for is more expensive (at least here in Vegas) for them than the HD. The BMW was out for me for mainly for the same reasons; but the big one is that my dealer here is just not good at all and we only have the one. Most BMW stores I have been to elsewhere I found knowledgeable and accommodating; but the network and availability if far less than HD.
As far as the bikes go; the HD is a bit underpowered compared to the others; a BMW or Goldwing will blow by you. The others bikes do have a few features that would make life nice; for example the built in heated accessories on the Honda as well as the NAV; liquid cooling; the power windshield on the BMW is awesome; it eliminates helmet buffeting with the touch of a button and can change your ride to suit you at any moment; the power center stand on the BMW is cool to. Both the Honda and the BMW are smooth as glass with power to spare. I like the floor boards on the HD much better; I put Highway pegs on my bike as well and I never want to stop riding; the HD is really comfortable. The Honda and BMW use pegs and your legs/feet are in a more neutral position as opposed to the HD Floorboards that puts you in a more relaxed position with the controls somewhat forward.

All said; when I walk out to my garage I cant help but take a moment to look at my Ultra; I love that bike. Riding down the road with the radio on and the HD V-Twin rumble makes my day. In the end; buy what you want and get excited over; the other options may have been “better bikes” based on pure logic and figures but I don’t regret a single moment and I never question myself on whether I did the right thing or not.

VERY WELL SAID

I agree 100% and feel the same. I just pulled the trigger on my second bike which is a 2010 Ultra that I will pick up today. Being we already have a Harley SG I considered the Wing and the BMW. The wife played a big role in the decision as she does not like anything but a Harley and nothing the other brands offered excited her.

As mentioned above the dealer network for HD is hard to beat and that is one of the most important things to consider.

I am a true American and I just love everything Harley stands for and after visiting the factory two weeks ago in York it is Harley all the way for me Baby!

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having owned an Ultra Classic once upon a time, I would have bought a new one instead of my RKC if I could afforded it.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Matty64
Road Warrior

I test drove a GW, a Royal Star Venture and a Victory Vision, before I tested an Ultra, at 6'5 I found the Ultra had the best leg room and comfort, I ordered mine the day I test drove one.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:16 PM
smittypac
Cruiser

I ride with my freind who owned a Venture for 2 years.He now rides an 08 Ultra.He says the Ultra is far superior in terms of handling and comfort. He found the Venture top heavy.I rode a Goldwing for a summer, years ago. It was a great bike, just not my style. I recently moved up to an Ultra from a Heritage. I love the bike and the ride, as does my wife, rock solid and stable at freeway speeds. Minimal buffeting when passing semi's. Having said that his Venture would handily beat us both in terms of acceleration. Try and rent an Ultra for a weekend ride with GF. Most dealers will credit the rental $$ to the purchase of a bike.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had an old Honda CB750 (first bike), a 1990 Kawasaki Voyager, a 2005 HD EG Classic and currently a 2008 HD EG Ultra Classic. My two previous motorcycles were totaled due to cagers. I was lucky enough to have a large enough bike under me to allow me to survive. I will ride nothing but a touring bike personally.

That said, I like the HD because it is a big American bike. It looks like a motorcycle, it sounds like a motorcycle and the engine is timeless. They are simple to work on compared to a metric bike (no endless plastic to remove to change oil, etc...). You can get all sorts of aftermarket accessories to completely personalize it to "make it yours".

Negatives would be air cooling for those who commute in heavy traffic on a hot day. Otherwise not at all an issue to me. The other thing is there is no reverse for thes heavy beast so you have to think ahead just a little when parking it.

If I happen to total this one out (god forbid), I will immediately get another Ultra Classic. I absolutely love HD and the bikes they build.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

My last touring bike was a Goldwing, and now an Ultra. Since you mentioned the GF's comfort, I can tell you that my wife likes the Ultra much better than the Wing. She says the sightlines are better, better "feel" and it is more comfortable for her on long trips.

Quick Reply: Considering an Ultra Classic