Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by callipygian
I rode to Ft. Lauderdale this past summer for vacation (about 4200+ of riding in about 2 weeks) The gf flew down and back since my bike isn't large enough to carry us both and all the things she would "require" to pack. Hence, we are in the market for a touring bike. She's very excited to make some much longer trips.
Initially I started looking at the yamahas, but my biggest drawback is that the import dealers are not willing to allow any type of test ride at all. I really have an issue with that. I don't know anyone that owns the Royal Star Venture for me to test ride, either. My other choice, naturally, is the Ultra Classic. I haven't test ridden one yet, but have only looked at some used ones and sat down on a few of them. Chatted with the owner of one dealership briefly, but will be headed back with the gf this friday so she can get a look.
My questions are about the bike, specifically the pros and the cons. I like to be as informed as possible before I purchase, so please be honest and objective. I do not ride labels, I ride a motorcycle. I will ride anything that is comfortable and makes me happy. I will ignore any replys that start with "harley is better than 'insert import model here' because..." Every bike has there "thing(s)" that give them character, if you will. What should I look for on the used bikes in this model? anything that has a history of failing? How about it's very strong points? The stuff that completely outweighs minor shortcomings. Thank you in advance for your help. I will continue to search through the forums to try and answer my questions in the mean time, but please feel free to post any links to other discussions where these questions have already been answered.

Mike
i moved to the ultra from a 1100 honda shadow sabre, ultra is more than double the weight... had me kinda nervous. took a ultra for a test ride...the weight is only there at stop to 15 mph, then its gone. its easier to control than the sabre was. ive yet to scrape anything on the ultra on turns that the sabre would drag a board through at slower speeds even. what really led me to harley was a friend had went down on his electra glide 3 years ago on a ride, he lives about 3 to 4 hours from where the ride is at and we stay there for a week. bike banged up to point it could not be rode hes fine but banged up...we get it back to the hotel and then take it to the local hd store for repair. they bumbed all other service/repair work to fix his as fast as possible due to the fact that he is traveling! thats some pretty nice service and piece of mind to have when touring. when another friends honda broke down during a trip to the outer banks( luck had it another bud had his in his trailer so we offloaded his and put hers in the trailer, he rode the rest and she drove) once there we find a honda shop and they would much less hang up on us rather than help us, put a bad taste in me for honda. really sucked cause i never had an issue with mine, i still had the original battery in it when i traded for the ultra and that made 6 years! your ' local' hd store can be the deal breaker, closest one to me is like 15 min but i bought mine from a store 30 miles away cause of their customer service. go ride one and see how that sits with ya first and take the wife with ya so you both can sit on it.
i love mine...do i miss the sabre? yup. for like 20 minutes after i rode off the floor with the ultra, and have not looked back!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by callipygian
p.s. the bike I have my eye on is an '05 Black Cherry Pearl Ultra Classic w/ V&H exhaust, chrome grips, and a few extra chrome shiny things. List price is $14,495. He already has said he has plenty of room to work with the price. What should I expect to be reasonable?
Thats not a bad price, actually, imo, if it has extras on it. Try it out and see how you like it. He may not come down on price much, but maybe they will throw in some gear for you. Dealers seem more willing to do that than move much on price.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

Some very good information here for you. My worth is take a weekend and rent one. This would answer 99% of your questions. Just remember that the stock rental units are very lean an require some modifications to get them to your riding style and comfort.
I have had several bikes and can state for a fact that my Ultra is the best bike I have ever owned for touring.
Whatever you ride...ride safe

Old 10-07-2009, 08:11 AM
PowerFactor
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got nothing to say but great things about my 08 Ultra. I can do a 700 mile day (just did that this last weekend) and feel great when I climb off. Wife loves it, too. She even rode with me not long after a tail-bone area related surgery and was nothing but comfortable. Suprised even me.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
wolfshead1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had 'em all currently 2007 Ultra.Great great bike.The only downsides are heat when it's hot in traffic.The weight at stop signs and parking spots will keep you on your toes.Once it is underway I'm really livin on this thing.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by steve (bubba) hill
i used to ride a fat boy and loved it but for long trips it just wasn't what we needed so i traded for a 07 ultra and it's the bike to have on long trips but for around town and short rides it's sorta like taking your motor-home to the store so you have to just weigh it out or get two bikes.
Bubba
One of the things I really like is that I don't feel the need to own two bikes; my Ultra feels great regardless of the distance.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by vistavette
One of the things I really like is that I don't feel the need to own two bikes; my Ultra feels great regardless of the distance.
Yea me as well. I drive mine everywhere. Don't feel the motorhome analogy at all.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

as for the cost -
a couple of weeks ago when getting my new 09, there was a guy picking up a used 07 ultra with black cherry (luv that color) and he had paid 14.5k for it. not sure all the details like what was on it.

so i am thinking that 14.5k for an 05 might be a bit high.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:40 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To put it short and simple, you can't go wrong with an Ultra, you will love it!