Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 starter questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:05 AM
n.o.yat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 starter questions

ia m having some starter problems on my 08 s/g. sometimes when i go to start it , it sounds horrible like it is falling apart. i brought it to the shop . iwas wondering if anyone has had the same problem ?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Yes, Mine would occasionally sound like a bendix drive engagement hammer in and out. Like a rapid fire machine gun. Wouldn't do it all the time, just occasionally. I am convinced it would self distruct if continued. Took it to the dealer, tried it a dozen times and it wouldn;t do it. So, no warranty. At my expense, I went ahead and purchased a new SE high torque starter and it is working fine so far.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 AM
n.o.yat
Cruiser
Default starter

man i wonder if they cant duplicate it while it is at the shop, they tell me they cant do anything about it. i have extended warranty. they may tell me to bring it back when it destroys something.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Basically that is what I was told. A starter cannot be warrantied if it is operating properly. I changed mine out to the SE high torque model for peace of mind, as I didn't want to get caught out in nowhere and the dam thing shelled out. I was also concerned about consequential damage with that bendix hammering against the flywheel ring gear. I HATE INTERMITTANT PROBLEMS

Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I had the same thing, but blamed it on the 103" kit and improper startup timing. It is timed right now with the SE heavy duty starter and all is good.

Dennis

Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 AM
ultraherbie
Cruiser

Sounds like the same problem I'm also having with my 08 annv. I'm going to get her into the dealer and have them have a look at it.
EG Ultra Classic did the problem stop after you changed the starter?

Thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 08:32 AM
n.o.yat
Cruiser
Default starter

what iam concerned about is that it may not do it when they go to check it out. i have extended warranty, but i would like to have it taken care of now rather then when it reallt tears something up.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey everyone, got your fix. I had the starter replaced ( new stock one that is built better, I was told) in my bike due to a service bulletin from HD. Can't remember the number will keep looking but, that's only part of the fix.

I put a SE compensating sprocket on when the dealer also fixed a rear drive gear oil leak I had. This sprocket made a world of difference in the starting of the motor. It also made a huge difference in how the bike takes off from a dead stop. The release off the clutch is much smoother and the overall feel of the motor is smoother. The stock compensator is junk in my book and this SE compensator should be stock on all HD bikes.

The torque coming off the crank cannot be handled by the stock sprocket. What happens is when the motor is stopped, the ramp on the compensator releases somewhat, leaving it up on the ramp. When you start up the motor the ramp has to go home for positive engagement and that's the banging noise you hear.

I had an 03' RK before and never had the noise this bike had when starting. This bike now sounds like my old bike and an issue that has bugged me since I bought the bike has now been put to bed. Check out the SE compensating sprocket ($249 at the dealer), BEST thing I have done to my scoot.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 AM
n.o.yat
Cruiser
Default starter

what do you think they will do about my starter?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same intermittent starter problem on my 08 Ultra. I was lucky because when I took it to the dealer for them to check it out, the service mgr hit the start button and it did it the first time. He then shut it off and tried it 6-8 more times and it was fine. They still put a new starter on it while it was there under warranty.

Quick Reply: 08 starter questions