Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Slip-on Ranking!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
DeathWind
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touring Slip-on Ranking!!

For those of you that deal with slip-ons a lot (resale or dyno operator), or if you own one of these and have heard another slip-on, how would you rank them for loudness? Preferably with a dual setup (seeing that going from stock headers to Dresser Duals increased the noise of my SE IIs a good bit) rate these slip-ons from the quietest to the loudest (i.e 1, 4, 5, 3, 2…..) Please rank them based on your experience even if it involves a couple of these slip-ons.

1. Screamin' Eagle II
2. Vance and Hines Oval Slip-ons
3. Bub Dresser Dogs
4. Cobra 4” slip-ons
5. Hooker tuned flow mufflers
6. Kerker Slip-ons
7. Python 3 ½” Slip-ons
8. Samson Silver Bullets
9. D&D 3 ½” Big Boss Slip-ons
10. Khrome Werks HP+

Additionally, if you have the knowledge or experience with various slip-ons, rank them for performance or how they felt to you. To be able to look at these results later on, rank them as follows:

Sound: 1,10, 5, 4, 2, 3, 6, 8, 7, 9
Power: 9, 5, 4 ,3, 2, 1, 8,10, 7, 6

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2006, 07:52 PM
jpnelson1978
Tourer
Default RE: Touring Slip-on Ranking!!

samson rolled thunder slip ons = i would say an 8. but its a bad 8. not very clean 8. annoying tapping sound. traded em for rineharts t.ds, much better

Old 06-26-2006, 07:57 PM
DeathWind
Tourer

How were they compared to another slipon listed?

Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 PM
spartns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want loud, go with straight pipes. If you want power, go with a 2 into 1. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 PM
DeathWind
Tourer

Just looking at the different slip-ons. I have the Dresser Duals and don't think I'm getting the performance from the SE II slip-ons that I got with Hooker Step tuned pipes on a 2001 Dyna. Both are 88" with free flow air cleaners, but the Dyna spins up faster all the time. The SE IIs seem to hamper performance and it varies when the engine spins up freely...some days I can haul a$$ and the engine will spin up quickly to 5500+ rpm and haul, and at other times it feels like reversion or something and the engine is very, very to spin up. You can hear and feel the difference in the exhaust note.

Plus I was looking to put a reference on here for people wanting to know the differences in the slip-ons when it came to performance and loudness. I would like to get the Hooker tuned flow, but have read that they are "loud." OK, loud compared to what...stock, SE IIs, V&H Ovals, and what are the others compared to these. On the Dyna I had V&H Big Shots on for 3 days before I removed and sold them because they were obnoxiously loud compared to the Hooker stepped tunes that I went with a week later. Plus the hookers looked as good as the day I installed them 4 1/2 years later.

So the goal here isn't loud or quite....just a comparison of all the slip-ons (yes I know all the different slip-ons aren't listed, but these seem to be the most popular).

Old 06-26-2006, 11:04 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Rinehart True Duals ('06 Version) and my dyno results were better then a similar bike with a 2-1 exhaust.

After 7 exhausts in 10 months........I finally went for looks, sound, and performance(in that order).

Steve

Old 06-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

I have the Khrome Werks HP+ and love them. Great sound and good performance. Wish there was somewhere on the site where you could post the audio clips of the exhausts for all to hear...

Old 06-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Good post. I'm interesting in seeing if anyone has any experience with and can comment on the Silver Bullets.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
DeathWind
Tourer

This will be great info to look back on for anyone looking at going with slip-ons. I'm looking more for ratings/rankings based on someone's experience that may have owned a couple of these slip-ons or someone who operates a dyno. Like pulling off a pair of Khrome Werks HP+ and putting on a set of V&H Ovals. Which was quiter the Khrome Werks or V&H Ovals? Which felt (or known to be) more powerful, the Khrome Werks or V&H?

When reading all of the forums the most common question is "how loud" or "better performance." You always see answers like...they were a lot louder....ok, louder than what. After reading a couple of articles I'm leaning toward the D&D Police Interceptors. In one article this is how they compared them to Screamin' Eagle equipped bikes "Compared to our standard Screaming Eagle fitted bike, I now pull away like they're backing up. And, the noise level is reduced." So sound and performance is answered concerning these two styles.

Thanks for the input so far. Very interested to see where this goes.

Ride Safe.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Wild Pigs and love them. Great deep sound not too loud. My friend has V&H Ovals and mine are a little bit louder and much deeper. V&H Ovals are a little rat a tat compared to the Wild Pigs.

Quick Reply: Touring Slip-on Ranking!!