Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009 | 09:20 AM
BFMC27
|
1st Gear
Default vibrations

anyone experienced a "sticky bearing feeling" felt in the floorboards or highway bars when in the 3000-3500 rpm range? it only seems to be present in gear. i cant feel it in neutral.

2008 road glide

Old 10-05-2009 | 09:28 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Default Sticky Bearing issue/feeling....

So wierd you posted this. I had a SERT installed a few weeks back on my 09 Glide.

When accelerating from the 3200 range into 3500.....3600 I feel something now in my feet that I never felt before.

I dont really know what a sticky bearing feels like BUT the first thing I thought of was some kind of bearing (SOMEPLACE) in the engine was starting to gaul itself....

It only lasts a quick 10 seconds (if that) when I'm pulling power in that range and then it goes away. It bothers me so much I was thinking about sending an oil sample out at my next change in about 1000 miles to see if they pick up anything.....

I hope it's nothing....but I do feel something going on....

Old 10-05-2009 | 01:50 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BFMC27
anyone experienced a "sticky bearing feeling" felt in the floorboards or highway bars when in the 3000-3500 rpm range? it only seems to be present in gear. i cant feel it in neutral.

2008 road glide
I am not sure about the "sticky bearing feeling" but I have noticed a weird vibration right at 3000 - 3200 RPM when the bike is moderately pulling. I plan to check my exhausts mounts and was even thinking about taking it in to the dealer to see what they thought. Subscribing to see what others say.

Old 10-05-2009 | 04:14 PM
fairlydangerous1
Cruiser

Yep, I try to ignore and hope it goes away. I think it's just the stiffness of the new frame transfering vibrations from the road.

Old 10-05-2009 | 04:24 PM
Whiteduramax
Advanced

Did this vibration just start or has it been there since day 1. Sounds as if it could be something called "resonance" two harmonic frequecies that cross each other a certain point and then goes away after crossing that point. That explains not vibration except at a certain RPM.

Old 10-05-2009 | 06:32 PM
jack49
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gliden
So wierd you posted this. I had a SERT installed a few weeks back on my 09 Glide.

When accelerating from the 3200 range into 3500.....3600 I feel something now in my feet that I never felt before.

I dont really know what a sticky bearing feels like BUT the first thing I thought of was some kind of bearing (SOMEPLACE) in the engine was starting to gaul itself....

It only lasts a quick 10 seconds (if that) when I'm pulling power in that range and then it goes away. It bothers me so much I was thinking about sending an oil sample out at my next change in about 1000 miles to see if they pick up anything.....

I hope it's nothing....but I do feel something going on....
Could be a flat spot in your tuning,if it started after the SERT install.

Old 10-05-2009 | 08:05 PM
botlefedpony
Cruiser

Have felt that the last few weeks. I noticed it after switching to redline shock proof in the trans. Just went back to the oil today and its still there but it seems to be a bit less.

Old 10-05-2009 | 11:12 PM
woods
Cruiser

Thought I would join the crowd.
Never noticed before swapping out the mufflers or changing the gear oil to Shockproof but I was breaking it in so I wasn't pushing the engine hard.
To me, it feels like the engine is torquing over and bumping the frame.
I have looked but haven't seen any wear spots.

Old 10-06-2009 | 12:16 AM
RBJones
Tourer

Check your pipe and muffler clearance carefully, especially near the right footboard. The pipe may be resonating at that rpm enough to rattle against the footboard mounts or frame, which telegraphs the motor vibration to the chassis. It probably won't be touching when the motor is off, just when it hits those rpms so look for close clearance.

Old 10-06-2009 | 06:59 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

This year I noticed vibrations on my 00EGC (obviously older than yours I know) it ended up being the motor was out of align, I did a full vehicle alignment in my garage and it is very very smooth now. Mine felt like what Woods is talking about above.

Quick Reply: vibrations