Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Apes for small frames

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question: Apes for small frames

I removed my stock RK bars and have been using these Heritage style bars since April. I love the way they feel (no wheel barrow affect) but I think they are ugly No.....really they just look odd on the bike since they are not chrome. This may be coupled with the fact that I really like the internal wiring that folks are doing. I want to put some apes on my bike. I like the 13" Cyclesmiths and I am sure there are others that compare. The Wild 1s seem to have more of a wheel barrow look but I am no expert.

As the title states, I have a small frame (shoulder to shoulder). I am 6' but only 160 lbs. Do other folks this size like using apes? I wonder if the wide bars give you any shoulder/back pain? The stock bars did this to me but I assumed it was because I leaned forward so much. Do apes have good pullback like these heritage style bars or do you lean forward more with apes? Thanks in advance

Old 10-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Chubby 14" apes. They have totally alleviated the back pain between my shoulder blades that the stockers gave me.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are 6' tall, stop crying.

I'm 5'6" and likely going to try out some 10" monkey bars.

Seriously though, most people I've asked have said that apes make things more comfortable.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

The stock RK bars are a twisted joke Harley plays on their consumers.

I have a wide frame, and use wide bars. They are very comfortable and have just the right pull back. Totally got rid of the shoulder and back strain from the stock.

Best advice for buying bars is go somewhere that has a selection. Sit on your bike and have someone hold a set up for you. Check height,width, pull back,diameter, hand angle, angle of the bars in relation to the forks, and overall look. If you see someone with bars that look good, ask them if you could size them up.

Once you have some basic parameters about what you want to do, it is fairly easy to find someone who makes bars in that size and shape.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at my bike.....I have 13" internally wired chubbies (1 1/4 dia.). I ABSOLUTLEY love them! I've had mini apes, I've had drag bars.....apes are the best. If you can avoid the temptation to go above 13-14".....you will be happy. AS far as comfort, remember you can move the bars forward and back to get them where you want them. Also keep in mind that the stock risers are 1.75 tall.....so that factors in to how tall the bars are.

I bought mine off of eBay as a complete set, already wired, with new chrome levers, switches, and cables.....everything for around 600 bucks. Yeah, you can do it much cheaper.....but I knew I wanted everything chrome except the switches, and so this worked for me.

Again, I HIGHLY recommend apes. I also went with the 14X14 Windvest windscreen, and it fit perfectly right between the apes.

~Joe