Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Cut Down Newer Tinted Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:48 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't Cut Down Newer Tinted Windshield?

I have an '09 Electra Glide Classic and wanted to cut down my tinted 9" H-D windshield. A local glass shop that used to do this said they wouldn't cut down windshields anymore because of the material. Is there something unique about the newer windshields that causes problems? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:09 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they are still some type of Lexan / plastic. If that's the still the case, I am guessing that the glass shop wants to score it and snap the piece off and it chips around the edges, they dont want to be responsible.

I would tape off on both in and outside of the shield, draw the curve you want on the outside face and either cut it with a band saw or saber saw with a fine metal cutting blade. When you cut plastic or lexan if you cut too fast it will reglue it self back together behind the saw blade....it heats and melts the plastic. File the edges and your done. Placing tape actually does two things....prevents chips and prevents scratches from the saber saw or band saw base. I have cut a lot of plastic and Lexan with both a saber and band saw without issue. I cut a whole lot more formica kitchen and bath counter tops with a saber saw and its a lot harder and chips far easier than a HD windshield.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:33 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

If the windsheild is lexan it can't be scored and broken. It has to be cut with a saw or a shear. Any good glass shop can cut it.........if they want to. Try another shop.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 AM
SMOKEin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cut mine last night. Jig saw, T24 metal cutting blade, high speed, zero orbital setting.. cut perfect.. cant say the same for my straight line though..

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after you get it cut, just dress it up with a sanding block, then applie a little lemon oil furniture polish to the edge..... looks like new

Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Once you get the edge sand and everything the way you want it you can use a little heat to finish the edge. a propane torch or a turbo lighter will do the job and give you a near perfect factory edge. it doesn't take much just touch it and back off and work your way around the windshield.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 AM
pudgypaul
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done the same thing my Road King. I have 3 different shields of different lengths, depending on the driving weather. Suggestion, practice on the cut-off when fininishing the edge with heat.
Ride safe,

Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 AM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain

Just cut the bottom off. It's very simple. I've done 2 with a pair of tin snips, a forstner bit, and metal file. Use the stock windshield as a template, cut with snips (or shears), drill hole for mounts, and clean rough spots with file.

Dave

Old 10-03-2009, 04:35 PM
TxDeuce
Tourer

Well thanks for all the advice. Just cut my windshield down about 3 1/2 inches and it came out great. I now have a great view ABOVE my windshield and won't have to worry about looking at dead bugs splatter!

Old 10-03-2009, 06:29 PM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the diy job.... keeps a little money in the pocket