Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - new Streetglide ride/handle better than new Roadking??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Chaos
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an SG. Another qusetion that I don't know if you've asked yourself, but do you plan to ride in weather? Rain not so much of a thing, just remember that the batwing covers your hands in cold weather, a windshield doesn't. I like the RK better myself in some ways, but the hands issue was one deciding factor for me. As for handling, its hard to explain except to say that the weight on the forks of a fairing bike isn't really a big deal. You just learn to adjust your riding style if you aren't already used to it. If that is an issue for your but you still want a full fairing, a roadglide might be a good one. The fairing is mounted to the frame, not the forks.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:43 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slightly stiffer ride on the SG due to the lowering. I have had 2 RK's prior to getting the SG. I would not do without the fairing anymore, and I can always change the rear shocks on the SG to give a softer ride.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

IsaacL,

TexasFatBoy made a point about what was in stock and your reply was that both salesmen liked the SG better +/-.

I'll refrase the point.

Did/Do they have a RK in stock available? If not, refer to 'Salesman'.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:20 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i have two friends who ride road kings. an 03 and an 05. whenever i've ridden with either of them, they've wanted to ride my 08 streetglide. we've swapped for twenty miles or so on a ride. the ride on the roadking feels better because of the increased travel of the rear suspension. the wind control on the roadking is much worse though, since i replaced the worthless stock streetglide windshield with the 10" electraglide windshield. to do it again, i would not get a roadking, but another streetglide. Because they're the cool version of harleys touring line? of course. the stereo is something i thought i'd never use till i turned it on while riding mine home from the dealership the afternoon i bought the bike. i don't think a person could go wrong with any of harleys touring bikes. i'll stick with my streetglide, cause it works great, has excellent wind protection, and is very dependable. when they decide to come out with something radically improved, like double overhead cams, i'll keep my old antique 08 and ride with a smile. an rk with an aftermarket fairing would cost a lot if you did it with the right parts rather than memphis shades version, or some other aftermarket stuff. buy what you want. if the dealer is trying to force you into a sale, then find another dealer.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:45 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I just traded an 08 RK classic on a 10 SG. I loved my road king. Would get on it and ride for 1500 miles. The last ride I did on it I rode thru rain all day Friday. The guy I was riding with was on an ultra with the batwing, he was protected more than I was.

You can add a batwing to the king, but the controls are not integrated into the bike.

If you have a radio you can turn it off.

I have not had the opportunity to go for 1500 miles on the SG, but as far as the twisties, the SG seems plenty quick for me. I haven't scrapped boards yet!

I got cruise, ABS and Security on the SG I did not have ABS on the king.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Personally I think the SG with the lowered suspension (in rear) "handles better" than the road king. I also like the weight up front (the fairing) it's heavier and turning is more purposeful and easier to control at speed. I like having weight over the front tire, same as I liked weight over the front tire on all my sport bikes. Just me. I like to ride the hell out of my bikes in the corners and all. I don't care it's not a sport bike. It's a bike. They are all made to lean.

I think the Road King "Rides" better. Just because of the longer rear shocks and longer suspension travel.

That said, I think both bikes are damn near identical and worth having. Especially the 09+ models. You can't go wrong. It's a great problem you have friend.... deciding between two awesome bikes.

Good luck!

lp

Last edited by lp; 10-03-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 PM
toothdocthc
Account Deactivated At Users Request
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ive had rkc and sgs and unless you do something with the very uncomfortable handlebars on rkc, you are not going to ride very far before your hands and elbows ache. Also, the sg for a 6 ft or smaller person riding is comfortable as stock. The windshield is worthless on sg unless you replace with taller one though. I believe the sg handles better. The rkc has a top heavy feel and the sg has a low to the ground tucked in sports car feel for me. I lowered the rkc with sg shocks and it still felt top heavy especially at stopped positions like red lights. Now , i like the 2 pipe possiblity vs one one 2010 sg-only has one pipe. dont like that at all-looks like its is missing something on left side. more money to change for later

Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Handling is not an issue. I've ridden both and don't notice the difference. I ride pretty aggressively and have not ever had problems keeping up or staying ahead of anyone on my streetglide in twisties. I love the fairing got sick of the windshield. I love having the stereo and as others have said you can always turn it off.