Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - new Streetglide ride/handle better than new Roadking??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by medic1555
That's funny because that's what I said for years. When I got my SG I didn't think I would listen to the radio very much. Yea, you guessed it. I listen to it all the time and really like it. It's one of those things that if you've never had you won't miss (sort of like automatic windows), but once you get it...you know the rest.
+1, went in to get a Road King, left getting the SG. Now I got to hear my tunes when I ride.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
IsaacL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newdep332
My friend has the SG and I have the RK. We both agree that for what ever reason the RK rides better and just "feels" better. Since then I have lowered the rear 1" with a SG shock and it still feels a little better than the SG.

With that said both ride very well, I just prefer the RK. As you, I don't need the radio as I like to listen the the bike and just let my mind relax. Either way you can't go wrong, however; it is good to be King.
Thanks, thats a pretty unbias comparo.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 AM
IsaacL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
My 2 cents here:

1) It sounds like the dealer has a Street Glide in stock and you want to order a Road King.
He wants to sell what he has. The old "one in the hand is better than two in the bush" story.

2) You will love either bike. There won't be enough of a difference in ride and handling to worry about.

3) I never needed a radio until I bought a Street Glide with one.
Now I never turn it off and have spent some major money to be able to hear it at 75 mph.

4) If I bought a Road King I would spend some major money putting the Street Glide fenders on
(but that's just me) I like the clean fenders.

5) Check out the prices of an aftermarket fairing, painted and radio. It is a lot of money.
Nah, both guys at the dealer just love the SG - one is even taking the 09 demo as his own personal ride.... thats howw much they love them.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 AM
IsaacL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Anything that is lowered is not going to handle as well as the standard model. Less ground clearance, less shock travel. RK once it is set up for you with proper bars and seat will be a better ride. Any of them have to be set up for you unless you just happen to find one your size but don't depend on it.
Yeah, thats what I would have thought, but both the guys at the dealership swear the SG has no issues with clearance and think the SG handles better than the King???

Old 10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
IsaacL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLuHX
+1, went in to get a Road King, left getting the SG. Now I got to hear my tunes when I ride.
The tunes have nothing to do with it (see OP) I hate the idea of tunes.... I have to hear thr mechanical thump of the motor - its like meditation.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
RdKing04
Novice

New guy here. Here's my 2 cents. I have an 04 RK Classic that has been dropped an inch in the rear with SG shocks. IMO you sit more 'in' the RK than the SG. I've ridden 3 of my buddy's SG's and while nice, I prefer the King.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain

why not test drive both? im sure they have a road king on the floor, and if they dont let you test drive them say good by and move on to the next dealer.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RdKing04
New guy here. Here's my 2 cents. I have an 04 RK Classic that has been dropped an inch in the rear with SG shocks. IMO you sit more 'in' the RK than the SG. I've ridden 3 of my buddy's SG's and while nice, I prefer the King.
That has to do with the seat I am sure. Put a Road King seat on a Street Glide and it will feel the same way.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin's_09FXDF
why not test drive both? im sure they have a road king on the floor, and if they dont let you test drive them say good by and move on to the next dealer.
+1 on that. My dealer had a demo day and I rode both the Street Glide and the Road King. But for me the Street Glide won hands down. Can't exactly give the reason why but for me the Street Glide was the way to go.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 PM
IsaacL
Cruiser

I think I'm leaning toward the SG now.

I plan on using a Fairing most of the time (if not all of the time) and the HD SG fairing has a nice dash with all the guages etc.... So as long as there are ways to make the SG handle better, I might as well go with the SG???

Quick Reply: HELP - new Streetglide ride/handle better than new Roadking??