Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why dyno tune a bike with PC V auto tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Why dyno tune a bike with PC V auto tune?

Now would someone explain this to me in a manner in which i can understand. I see "everyone" recommending a $$$$ dyno tune for PCV with auto-tune module and it's getting kind of annoying. Assuming someone has basic understanding of air-fuel ratios, software, and ignition timing, why would you expect to get a better result on a dyno? Isn't that defeating the purpose of autotune? You can set your air fuel ratios with a laptop to get good economy and power on the individual cylinders without being an expert. That's pretty basic. 13.1 and 14.1 AFR is the same if the dyno guy set it or auto-tune set it. Figuring out 14.1 cruise range is common sense. Timing is easy also, advance it until it pings at WOT and back off until it doesn't. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out. There's even plenty of examples and graphs to go by. I have an auto-tuned bike and i think if i carried it to a dyno guy it would probably run worse. Right now my 103" with cams will pull the front wheel, outrun a 1200 sportster, and gets 45 MPG at 85 MPH. What would it do better than what it's doing now? I've seen some of those maps and i wasn't too impressed with them. Lets hear from some of you guys who have the PCV autotune to see what you think. Who is recommending this, the guys who own dynos?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM
n.o.yat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why dyno and put your bike through all that abuse. fuel moto has already done that for you on someone elses bike. if your bike is stock w/ just a p,c. it will be so close that it would not be worth it. unless you want a chart to show you some numbers. put the p.c. on your bike it will run so good you will forget about a dyno tune.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Anezangl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Truckerdave, I've been wondering about the same thing? Only difference is that I have been trying to find out info on a different brand tuner/module/controller etc..... Accel Motorsports has what they call their "SLM" for Harleys. It means "Self Learning Module." I am told as of this morning that it constantly updates via 02' sniffers and self learns what the scoot is doing and where it needs to be some 60 plus times a second. They tell me no matter what changes a person makes ie: new cams, pipes, throttle body, big bore etc.....it reads where the scoot is and puts it where it should be. No need for the dyno tune. Sounds to good to be true. I was told that it is a level of micro processor or ECU more like in modern automobiles than what has been used in the motorcycle world in the recent past. If I understood them correct they brought it to market this past July. I have e-talked to Accel about it and to a guy that has it on his bike, he loves it, said it was the best thing since sliced bread!

Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 PM
MODCOBRA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be mistaken, but I do not see too many people on this forum pushing for a dyno tune with the PCV autotune???? I have the PCV on my 07 SG with Jamies map and I am not sure I am even going to the autotune. Perhaps with future upgrades......

Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 PM
truckerdave

I have seen some threads on other forums, maybe from when they first came out but then again i have seen some recently too. The accel sounds like it does the same thing as PC V auto-tune. I've seen what the auto-tune can do on my bike and saw the entirely different maps on each cylinder. A guy with a dyno would have to spend quite a bit of time to even get close and the auto tune tunes all rpm's and engine loads. Combined with the individual maps for each cylinder, 14.1 cruise range AFR, and a more aggressive timing map to match my cams i would up with great mileage and power too. I have heard of very few HD's that get 45 MPG running 85 MPH. Maybe this thread will save someone some money for an unnecessary dyno tune. They have been out long enough there ought to be plenty of auto-tuned maps out there from guys with all kinds of engine configurations too for guys with just the PC V.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,159 Likes on 1,353 Posts

A little info on the Accell Self Learn Module. The Accel tuner is the same tuning device sold by Terry Components, Head-Quarters and several others under different brand names. Simply put, despite what the manufacturer claims, you cannot auto tune what the stock narrowband sensors cannot measure. The stock narrowband sensors can only measure near 14.7:1 AFR +/-.5 and only uses O2 feedback when the the bike is in closed loop in the first place which in most calibrations is up to 60% throttle and 3500 RPM's. Further more this product does not drive the injectors, it uses sensor offset from the TPS to "trick" the ECM to richen or lean the mixture. This is why this product continually throws TPS codes. This product is not inline with technology offered by other manufacturers in terms of what is currently available.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
truckerdave

Hmm. I just looked up the accel SLM and it does use the factory narrow band O2 sensors. Fuel Moto is right. There's no way that's going to work like a PC V auto-tune does. The PC V auto-tune modules use wide band Bosch sensors which allow it to sample at all AFR's.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your 02 sensor whether it is a narrow switching type or wideband knows one thing and one thing only........That's oxygen content. Inputting A/F numbers as targets and setting trims tells you nothing about your torque curve and horsepower. It's just a number.......yes by changing that number rich or lean you can hear and feel the difference in performance but again you have no idea of what's left in the motor.

Canned maps are just that. No two engines are the same...........No two bikes are the same. They will get you a decent running bike that will be acceptable for most................But you have no idea as to what your missing when it comes overall performance and manners (not talking peak numbers) until you get a tune on a dyno with competent tuner at the controls....Period.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No benifit other than bragging (or lack of) rights.

Quick Reply: Why dyno tune a bike with PC V auto tune?