Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage rack and bag option

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Whiteduramax
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Luggage rack and bag option

Well I thought I'd ask the experts......all of you. My wife and I did an overnighter this week and not sure if any of your wives are anything like mine but she has to pack the luggage just to go one night. Anyhow I figured quickly it was not to bad since I knew she couldn't buy anything when we got to where we were going because of no room. Anyhow she wants more space and I'm all for it however a tourpack is rather pricey so I was thinking luggage rack/leather bag. What are my options? I want a luggage rack that removes as easy as my current backrest and a good size bag I can strap to the luggage rack and easily remove and carry it into the room I plan on doing my business in.

Any help or ideas would be apreciated. What works well and what sucks so I don't make the same costly mistake.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the HD luggage rack and backrest that is one piece. It attaches and detaches in about 30 seconds. I also have a T-Bags Route 66 bag that I put on when traveling. This bag has wheels and the pull up handle. Nice setup.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by petemac
Yepper, that's my setup too.
Nope. That rack is separate from the backrest. That rack that you're talking about has the V on the sides and will gouge your saddle bag lids.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

You are correct, yours looked like mine in the pic. As long as you're aware of the V and don't push the saddlebag cover against the V it's not an issue. Mine's been on for almost 3 years and no issues with the saddlebag covers.

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
Nope. That rack is separate from the backrest. That rack that you're talking about has the V on the sides and will gouge your saddle bag lids.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many options for luggage racks, attached to backrest so comes off nice and clean when you remove the backrest. I would first pick a bag. I use the kuryakyn Full dresser bag and would buy it all over again 4 years later. It has 2 inner plastic shelfs that helps the bag keep its shape and clothes don't get wrinkled, the top is collaspable if you don't need it that big. i rarely do need the top except to put my leather in it mid day when it warms up. The biggest plus for me that I found after i started using it was the hard plastic liner. The bag doesn't sag done over the luggage rack so I can get away with using a small luggage rack. I opted for the stealth rack its small I like the looks and it works great.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member

The T-Bags don't sag either. Also, make sure that the bag that you choose has a permanently attached rain cover.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Whiteduramax
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob this looks like the ticket. Does the rack come off easily when not in use? If so count me in, I want one.

BTW where in OK are you? Grew up in OKC.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Ronbaci
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My basic setup as well except I use the Route 66 T-bag. I can connect everything to it and just roll it into the hotel.

Quick Reply: Luggage rack and bag option