Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 swap to Brembo...Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me get this straight. I just need the Calipers and Rotors on my 07 RK?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:21 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak to the HD Brembo take-offs. But, with Brembo calipers and rotors directly from Brembo, yes, all you need is calibers and rotors. Installation takes some time. The "kit" comes with shims. You have to center the caliber on the rotor. Not difficult, just time consuming, e.g. use a feelers gauge to measure clearance, take the largest side number, divide by two, choose a shim of that thickness...it's self explanatory. Break-in is VERY different. You ride the brake for 1-2 miles to really heat up the rotors. Then you make several emergency stops at designated speeds to seat the brake shoes. If you go this route and have a problem send me a PM and I'll give you a call and walk you through it. Oh yea, one other thing, NO DOT 5 brake fluid. You'll have to flush your master and lines and replace with DOT 4.

Attached Thumbnails 07 swap to Brembo...Anybody?-p9040034.jpg   07 swap to Brembo...Anybody?-p5070287.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Has anybody swapped the 07 or earlier calipers to the newer Brembo's? is it doable? The braking power on the Brembo is so much better...What is involved.
Motivated by WVultra's writeup, I recently had the Brembo conversion done on my 07 SG. As someone else said earlier, the difference is night and day. Look on ebay to pick up Brembo calipers on the cheap.

Tip of the Day: When doing the conversion, it's also a good opportunity to chrome out your front end with very little extra labor involved.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indianspringsaz
Let me get this straight. I just need the Calipers and Rotors on my 07 RK?
I also replaced the levers and reservoir to the 08. I can't speak of the performace without doing it.
And I seized the opportunity to go to braided brake lines, but you can use your stock ones. I didn't include the brake lines in my cost, as it really isn't needed.

Originally Posted by Plow64
Motivated by WVultra's writeup, I recently had the Brembo conversion done on my 07 SG. As someone else said earlier, the difference is night and day. Look on ebay to pick up Brembo calipers on the cheap.

Tip of the Day: When doing the conversion, it's also a good opportunity to chrome out your front end with very little extra labor involved.
And again I seized the opportunity for this upgrade too!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:34 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Has anybody swapped the 07 or earlier calipers to the newer Brembo's? is it doable? The braking power on the Brembo is so much better...What is involved.
I bought a complete Brembo take-off setup from a forum member last year and did the conversion over last Winter. Been running that setup all season this year. The brakes work much better than stock and I especially notice it riding 2up loaded down with all our gear. I installed the 08 calipers and master cylinder on my 07. I was going to use the 08 rotors but ended up getting the HD semi-floating. I also have all the necessary directions to do the conversion.
Here's a pic . . .