Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Glide saddle replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009 | 08:58 PM
bighaeb
|
Advanced

Thanks for all the information guys/gals!!!

Old 09-30-2009 | 09:00 PM
racngrn
Cruiser

I just picked up my 2010 Street Glide ( Scarlet Red). As this thread states, the seat is pretty tough and I'm coming off an 08 Fatboy stock seat. If I go with the Sundowner or Road Glide seats, do they increase seat height much? I'm only about 5'8" , so can't tolerate much more seat height. Thanks

Old 09-30-2009 | 09:15 PM
Chaos
Tourer

I put a La Pera on my Springer and plan to do it with the SG. I did real leather seating surface and vinyl sides for side longevity. The leather breathes better so you don't get a case of monkee-butt as quickly. Very comfortable even two-up.

Old 09-30-2009 | 09:42 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by racngrn
I just picked up my 2010 Street Glide ( Scarlet Red). As this thread states, the seat is pretty tough and I'm coming off an 08 Fatboy stock seat. If I go with the Sundowner or Road Glide seats, do they increase seat height much? I'm only about 5'8" , so can't tolerate much more seat height. Thanks

Road Glide seat is about the same height but it is alot more narrow in the nose so you can get your feet on the ground better. Sundowner is also narrow in the nose but it is a little taller. It raises me up about an inch over the RG seat.

Old 09-30-2009 | 09:55 PM
JackD
Road Master

Got a Sundowner for the SG, more lumbar support for me, more everything support for the wife!!! For the price it's a great seat!!!

Old 09-30-2009 | 10:02 PM
DHart
Tourer

Sundowner is a comfortable seat... I put 30,000 miles on my Road King Custom with a Sundowner. They're low cost too (because they're really cheaply built seats) but they get the job done.

I would highly recommend you get a rider backrest... it will give you such good support and posture that your back can ride in comfort all day, day in and day out.

With my new bike, I decided to go with Mustang solo w/rider backrest and a separate passenger seat. I'm blown away by the quality of these seats... quality and thickness of the materials, construction methods, fit, finish... all of it. They're, of course, more expensive than the Sundowner because they are so much better built. I also really like the versatility of using the seat solo or two up, so it looks great in solo mode when I want that.

Last edited by DHart; 09-30-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2009 | 05:26 PM
MattyRR
6th Gear

Thanks for the pics DHart. I was just thinking about that same Mustang 2 piece set up. Looks great. I was worried how the one anchor in the middle of the fender would look without the passenger seat on....and not too bad.

Old 10-01-2009 | 08:18 PM
DHart
Tourer

Originally Posted by MattyRR
Thanks for the pics DHart. I was just thinking about that same Mustang 2 piece set up. Looks great. I was worried how the one anchor in the middle of the fender would look without the passenger seat on....and not too bad.
H-D has a black plastic plug for that fender bolt hole. The guy at Mustang is sending one to me.

Old 10-01-2009 | 09:04 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Many, many posts on here about seats. I can tell you from my experience, this; The stock seats are cushy and comfy for short rides. Soft, inferior materials make them settle to near NO support over time. Any seat builder will tell you it's what's inside that makes a seat good for the long haul. For some reason, most Harley "touring seats" are made for 1 person, and the pillion seat is good if your passenger has a 4 inch wide *** and likes to sit on a 2X4.

Like Dhart and many others, I opted for a Mustang seat. Initial opinions of the seat are; attention to detail, quality materials, and slightly firm. Like a good pair of jeans, a seat needs to be broke in. The Mustang is no different. I have had mine on for a year and a half and about 10,000+ miles. The difference in the seat, from new is, it looks exactly as it did from the box, but now my butt fits it like a glove.

As for the backrest, I love it on long rides. But I do not need it if I'm riding day trips and the wife likes it if I don't have it on. The Mustang, as well as others, have a pocket the stock seat doesn't, and that helps on back support.

Good luck on your choice. If you decide on a Mustang, check with Ronnie at www.lewiscustomcyles.com. I was told about him on here, and he is a stand up guy offering great prices on many different parts. And if you're not from the South, you're in for a treat, he has that sweet southern drawl that I can listen to all day

Old 10-01-2009 | 11:54 PM
DHart
Tourer

Jonny... wish I'd had your lead earlier, but oh well. Good thing for others to see in any event!

In your sig pic, looks like your bags are climbin' right up to the sky... didn't you find the ride a little spooky like that?

Quick Reply: 09 Street Glide saddle replacement?