Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting inner fairing question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM
redbaron72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting inner fairing question...

getting ready to have my inner fairing painted, does anyone have advice on a primer/sealer? my painter is unsure of what, if any primer to use, I ordered the paint from a Harley shop but hav'nt picked it up yet, maybe it will say on the can?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Maimas
Road Warrior

I'd be looking for a new painter. He cant be to good if he's asking you questions that he should be able to answer.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maimas
I'd be looking for a new painter. He cant be to good if he's asking you questions that he should be able to answer.
Agree! Find a different painter.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If you ordered HD paint from the dealership, you should also have ordered the activator required for the paint. The HD part no. for the activator is 99825-02. The activator is required for all HD paint, regardless of color, that is sold in a quart size quantity.

I bought HD paint for a paint project several years ago and the parts guy who placed the order didn't notice the activator requirement. When the paint came in, the activator requirement is stated on the can. The requirement is also noted in the HD paint book. So my project was delayed a week or so while the activator was ordered. Just a heads-up on the required activator.

The HD paint book also states that Primer 98603A (quart) or 98606A (aerosol) should be used to assure a good color match.

I'm no painter; just providing the information in HD's paint book. Actually, it's no longer a book for newer models; the information is provided on HD's intranet database that your HD parts counter guy should have available to him.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-29-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nuff said here!
RUN! FOREST!

k&j eglide
Tourer

Stop at a local painter's supply (automotive, like PPG, not household, like Sherwin-Williams) and ask. I'd be curious also about the prep required. With a factory painted inner, do they start with a stock inner or use one that doesn't have the satin finish? The prep and primer will dictate final results more than a specific paint (as long as it's automotive).

Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
gabulldog
Tourer

I know Dupont and I'm quite sure that all major paint mfg. makes a material call "Adhesion Promoter" that you use on plastic/abs type material. You can use this as a primer or put regular primer on top of it. You will get better results if you put this on first, it will help the paint "stick" to the plastic. You can buy it in spray cans (about $20) at most automotive paint stores.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
fiscomi
Advanced

I know BASF paint. If it is a raw piece of plastice, new from the dealer, you probably want to put a adhesion promoter on it and then a nice even coat of sealer, then the color and clear. If its not all scratched up and stuff like that you will not need a primer.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok to the point answer.. I scuffed mine with a scotch brite pad primed it with some epoxy primer I had in the paint cabinet as that stuff seems to stick to anything and stick well I followed that with my PPG base then PPG top coat then PPG clear .. Adhesion promoters to me are kinda like etch primer. Use it when you cant sand in certain areas or if your just lazy and dont do a good job sanding ...

Old 09-29-2009, 12:03 PM
jharanin
Road Master

First off, if the guy painting doesn't understand what's need to prep plastic for paint he wouldn't be painting anything on my bike. Every paint company has a recommended procedure for handling it, PPG has a system called "One Choice" a cleaner built in to a scuffing sponge and an aerosol adhesion promoter. Then you can go right to base.
Or you can go the route of an epoxy type product that will adhere to plastics with proper prep.

Quick Reply: painting inner fairing question...