Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Performance Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High Performance Oil Filters

I just received my American Bagger magazine yesterday and it had an article on K&P Engineering performance oil filters.
It's a high flow, stainless steel screen type, small particulate, cleanable and reusable oil filter.
K&P touts no filter bypass when cold, better flow rate and improved hp & tq.
Scott Performance looks like they make one too.

Here are the two links:
http://www.kandpengineering.com/
http://www.scottsperformance.com/pro...php?PartType=3

Is anyone using one of these or something similar? Also any opinions on using something like this?

Attached Thumbnails High Performance Oil Filters-k-and-p-oil-filter.jpg  
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I will stick with proven HD or K&N filters, thay are 10 micron.

Last edited by masterblaster; 09-29-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I will stick with proven HD or K&N filters, thay are 5 micron.
On their website states it's a 35 micron filter but they claim smaller particulate than all paper oil filters. Not sure if that's an independent test or theirs. These type of filters are usually are race only types.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use amsoil filter 98.7% @ 15 microns..

Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by Road Hawg
I use amsoil filter 98.7% @ 15 microns..
Doing a quick search, you may be using one of the best filters available, the percentage of particle removal being one of the highest. I've talked myself out of these "high performance screen type filters". They are best left to the racing community.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a Amsoil dealer and I use the K&N cause its a good filter and I like the Nut on the end that makes it nice to put on and take off.

I'm only interested in the large pieces of metal for the filter to filter out. Yer gonna have a certain amout of metal in yer oil. Look on the magnet when you drain yer oil.
Its normal.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

how does a friggin filter increase horsepower and torque? That's like saying a spark plug is gonna give you better fuel mileage.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carpetride
how does a friggin filter increase horsepower and torque?
The only way I can imagine it increasing hp and tq is by allowing more oil to flow, thereby keeping the engine cooler. But, that could be misleading depending on climate/ambient temps, duration of ride, and just how hard you push your machine. When the oil in the tank raises in temps yer not cooling as efficiently any longer. Perhaps with an oil cooler of some sort it may be more stable.

I've worked on combustable engines my entire life and I like to have minute particles filtered to keep engine wear to a minimum by using good filters and changing oil frequently. I'd rather have my bike last a long while between rebuilds. Racing bikes are rebuilt almost after each race, so engine wear isn't as great a concern as long as the parts stay where they belong.

As for the spark plugs increasing fuel mileage, it probably would be better to say better fuel 'efficiency'. Hotter plugs give better combustion, to a point.

Last edited by CroK; 09-29-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
The only way I can imagine it increasing hp and tq is by allowing more oil to flow, thereby keeping the engine cooler. But, that could be misleading depending on climate/ambient temps, duration of ride, and just how hard you push your machine. When the oil in the tank raises in temps yer not cooling as efficiently any longer. Perhaps with an oil cooler of some sort it may be more stable.

I've worked on combustable engines my entire life and I like to have minute particles filtered to keep engine wear to a minimum by using good filters and changing oil frequently. I'd rather have my bike last a long while between rebuilds. Racing bikes are rebuilt almost after each race, so engine wear isn't as great a concern as long as the parts stay where they belong.
That's what I thought someone would say. So how much power is gained from using a $150 oil filter? 1/100th of a horsepower? LOL

Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
SSN711
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$149 for the cheapest? HD Filter at $15. 5K service intervals. You would have to do over 50,000 miles after buying one before it started to pay for itself. Probably trade my bike in before that many more miles are added to the bike.

Increase in power and torque? Kinda like all the different golf clubs/drivers ***** and instruction video/DVDs I have bought guaranteeing to take off at least 2 to 3 strokes. I should be shooting a 54 for 18 holes now...

Quick Reply: High Performance Oil Filters