Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Performance Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carpetride
That's what I thought someone would say. So how much power is gained from using a $150 oil filter? 1/100th of a horsepower? LOL
If yer lookin for a debate, I don't do debates. I'll try to answer as best as my knowledge will allow, and if I don't have an answer I'll just keep my trap shut rather than argue senseless points. If you didn't understand what I said above, read it again. And just to answer your last question... 1/100th of 'a horsepower' makes a difference in hundredth of seconds on the track.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's in my opinion the problem. How long does it take for you to clean, then dry the filter in order to reuse it? So there's your oil change stopped in mid stride waiting for the filter to be cleaned and dried, or at least I think. Talked to a guy here on the forum with one, he has 2 elements, one on hand clean. Then, it's probably pretty cool, but expensive I would think.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
If yer lookin for a debate, I don't do debates. I'll try to answer as best as my knowledge will allow, and if I don't have an answer I'll just keep my trap shut rather than argue senseless points. If you didn't understand what I said above, read it again. And just to answer your last question... 1/100th of 'a horsepower' makes a difference in hundredth of seconds on the track.
so does a gust of hot air.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by carpetride
so does a gust of hot air.
You win the stupidity contest. I give. Happy now?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't have as much back pressure than a paper type filter. Less pressure, higher flow, less resistance the crank needs to turn. So that's how they get the hp & tq claim. For a race engine I could see a benefit if you're trying to get every bit out of it you can. But for street use and engine life, removing the particles larger than the oil clearances, oil film between moving parts, is the most critical part of an oil filter's job. I don't think this technology is there yet for street use.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 09-29-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks great but you can a bunch and I mean a bunch of reg filters (even chrome) for what 1 of there's costs.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:22 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&P claim more HP since the flow rate is better, therefore the oil pump doesn't have to pump as hard, and the engine doesn't have to work as hard. It's not a lot, but it will make a difference if you're racing.

They also have the ribs on the filter which aids in cooling the oil a bit. Again, it's not a lot, but it is some cooling effect.

Also, they have a magnet inside the filter so that you can check for metal particles whenever you remove the filter for cleaning.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:25 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

The increase in horse power is gained due to your wallet being $150.00 lighter.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:43 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think those are expensive ,,but you get what you pay for.... i would like to have one but $$$ is kinda tite these days.... there's nuthin wrong with having a good or better filter...JMO

Old 09-30-2009, 04:30 PM
ddwyer
Tourer

Originally Posted by cardboard
I'm a Amsoil dealer and I use the K&N cause its a good filter and I like the Nut on the end that makes it nice to put on and take off.

I'm only interested in the large pieces of metal for the filter to filter out. Yer gonna have a certain amout of metal in yer oil. Look on the magnet when you drain yer oil.
Its normal.
Do you have a P/N for the K&N filter for an 08 Touring?

Quick Reply: High Performance Oil Filters