Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird starting problem - starter wouldnt disengage

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird starting problem - starter wouldnt disengage

This has only happened once, I hope it does not reappear.

A couple of days ago I started the king from cold and she sat there idling and I could hear the starter was still engaged and spinning after the motor was idling. I hit the starter button to try to get it to disengage but nothing happened.

I shut the bike down with the main switch, then turned the switch back on and immediately the starter engaged and tried to start the bike. I never touched the start button. I shut her down again. I hit the starter button a few times, turned the main switch again and the starter immediately engaged and tried to start the bike.

I pulled the green wire off the solenoid on the starter, turned the main switch and she didnt try to start (of course). I plugged the green wire in, nothing happened, I hit the start button and she fired up normally and it has never happened again.

All I could think of is a stuck starter relay, but why did pulling the wire off the solenoid make a difference??

Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Doubtful pulling the wire off made any difference, probably just coincidence. It's been my experience that when this starts to occur (no pun intended), your starter is going bad, plus it is extremely hard on the gears when it stays engaged like that. I would pay very close attention to weird noises while starting, but my bet is you're going to be putting on a new starter before too long.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 AM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Maybe just the action of bumping the starter when you were removing the cable jarred the selenoid. I don't know if it is a serviceable part. I've never taken my starter apart. Only removed it a couple of times while working on the bike.
I would imagine it's a bit troubling, knowing that the potential is there for it happening again.