Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra tour pak quick release ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Ultra tour pak quick release ?'s

For those of you that have installed the HD quick release for the tour pak. What did you do for the CB antenna connection and what did you do for the tour pak brake lights connection. Did you cur and install another plug got the brake lights? Did you use a jumper on the antenna wire? Any help would be appreciated. I want to istall one in the future and was looking at the issues I will have to deal with.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 06-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultra tour pak quick release ?'s

I didn't do either. I don't use the CB when I'm not touring, and the brake light on the fender still works with the tourpak off.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Greybeardrider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't install a quick release, just loosen 4 bolts,and it's off....takes about 5 min's. A trip to radio shack,and about $7 later I put in my own in-line quick disconnect for the CB. The light harness already has a factory plug, it's just for lights on the tour pack,doesn't affect tail light.I figure I can live with this set-up versus what the quick release is gonna cost![:'(] Let us know what you decide. Ride safe!

Old 06-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Neil
Road Captain

Steve,

Thanks for the input. I wasn't quite clear enough in my question. I know that the fender tail light will work witht the tour pak removed. My question is how did you, or anyone else, get around undoing the tour pak tail light harness that plugs in inside the tour pak. I noticed that everything else will unplug in some way. The speakers have the connections outside. The AM/FM antenna has the HD kit. I was told I can make the CB kit for RG work or use a jumper as I mentioned before. I just don't want to have to pull the liner out of the tour pak to unplug the light harness and pull it out of the pak every time I want to remove it. Hope this helps clear up my question.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 06-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neil,

All the wires and connectors from the tour-pak can be bundled up, tied, and stored under the seat! There is plenty of room underneath to store wires. Both my radio antenna cable and the electrical connection are tied to the air shock air line.

ORIGINAL: Neil

Steve,

Thanks for the input. I wasn't quite clear enough in my question. I know that the fender tail light will work witht the tour pak removed. My question is how did you, or anyone else, get around undoing the tour pak tail light harness that plugs in inside the tour pak. I noticed that everything else will unplug in some way. The speakers have the connections outside. The AM/FM antenna has the HD kit. I was told I can make the CB kit for RG work or use a jumper as I mentioned before. I just don't want to have to pull the liner out of the tour pak to unplug the light harness and pull it out of the pak every time I want to remove it. Hope this helps clear up my question.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 06-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

I see, you'd actually like your quick detach to be quick I think that if you want to do this, you are going to have to build your own custom plug and harness. I have not researched it, but i would imagine Radio Shack or maybe even an auto parts store would have plugs you could adapt.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Neil
Road Captain

Quick would be nice. I know that HD says the kit is not for the Ultra. I guess it would be too much for them to make a harness kit to facilitate this. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I'm sure there will be more questions down the road.

Neil

Old 06-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Neil,
It's not really too big a deal to continue to use the existing plugs. The biggest pain is reinserting the rubber grommets around the wiring and taking the seat on and off. It takes me less than 10 minutes to do it, and that's not bad because even with it undressed, it's still an Ultra

Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an idea I just thought of and will do on my own. Cut the plug off of both ends leaving a longer tail on the one coming from the bike. Then reattach them to the other side so the one on the bike is shorter and attach the longer one to the tourpack. Now instead of the plug being under the tourpack liner its under your seat and all it cost was a handfull of splices and some heatshrink.

Hope you all were able to understand what I meant by that. Maybe after I get back from my trip I'll do it myself with some pics to illustrate what I mean.

Also as far as the antenna go I have a Tune Trapper Hidden antenna for the radio and just left the CB antenna off as I never use it.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

What a great idea! Things that make you say "Duh". I'm always expecting the answer to be complex
ORIGINAL: pointswhat

Here's an Idea I just thought of and WIll do on my own. Cut the plug off of both ends leaving a longer tail on the one coming from the bike. Then reattach them to the other side so the one on the bike is shorter and attach the longer one to the tourpack. Now instead of the plug being under the tourpack liner its under your seat and all it cost was a handfull of splices and some heatshrink.

Hope you all were able to understand what I meant by that. Maybe after I get back from my trip I'll do it myself with some pics to illustrate what I mean.

Quick Reply: Ultra tour pak quick release ?'s