Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(iClick) PC-V Bike bogs on Up shift/Rapid Acceleration...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question (iClick) PC-V Bike bogs on Up shift/Rapid Acceleration...?

Hey All,
I have a 2009 Street Glide (6500 miles) with a PC-V, SE Heavy Breather & Reinhart Slip-ons. I have a problem that I can't consistently re-create, but it happens quite often and I am not sure if the PC-V has anything to do with it. This problem is not the REV limiter - I know what that is, and have hit it before, unintentionally.

When I am accelerating fast (WOT) and up shift, the bike suddenly bogs real bad. Sometimes it happens on the shift to 2nd, sometimes on the shift to 3rd, and sometimes on the shift to 4th, but never on consecutive shifts. If I back off the throttle then re-apply the throttle the bike runs normal, even while rapidly accelerating, then it won't do it again for a few days. It won't do it again for long enough that I forget about it, then BAM - it happens again.

This "bog down", as I call it, feels like a cylinder drops out. It is like the bike hits a brick wall, enough that it actually throws me forward a bit, and is more severe than when you hit the REV limiter. Any one got any pointers on things for me to check out?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:03 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if spark plug caps are one securely. Check and make sure PCV cables are seated. If OK then call Jamie at FuelMoto to see what they say. Also check the battery cables and make sure they are tight. I have had problems with all of the above in the past. They would be my first checks before I started spending money for further diagnostics.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:07 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

What Jeff said is all I can think of, as this doesn't sound like a PCV problem unless the map is way off, but if it is I would think it would not be sporadic. Since you have lots of enertia at work here I tend to go with Jeff on the spark-plug, cable, or some other piece of hardware being temporarily knocked out of its normal position. I would also remove, then re-install the ECM/PCV cable connectors (2) and while out be sure you have some dielectric grease applied to the contacts.

If you bought the PCV from Fuel Moto the map is not likely off, much less enough to cause this effect. If so, call Jamie and quiz him, as maybe he's run across this before--but I don't recall this problem being described on the forums I read. If you're not making progress with the above suggestions try removing the PCV and try to duplicate the problem with the stock ECM connections.

Another long-shot might apply if you've been altering any PCV settings using offsets. Are the PCV settings like they were when you received it? Have you checked the throttle-position settings? If they are off weird behavior can occur. Go to Power Commander Settings > Calibrate > Throttle Position:

Closed throttle 0.700 (Minimum Voltage)
Open throttle 4.300 (Maximum Voltage)

If these numbers aren't very close, and/or if you don't see "0%" in the main PCV window at idle, change these values to the above.

Last edited by iclick; 09-27-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

Thanks for the replys guys! I been buffing out my truck all day with a 3 stage process and didn't have a chance to get back on here quickly to reply. I will try all the above mentioned steps and see what works.

The map I am running is the canned map from the PC website for Bub 7 slip-ons, because I was told they have the same type baffle as the Reinharts. I have not messed with any of the settings in the tables.

iClick - I am a bit concerned about completely removing the PC-V with my Heavy Breather & Mufflers - should I not be worried about it?

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 09-27-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by NAUIdvr1
Hey All,
I have a 2009 Street Glide (6500 miles) with a PC-V, SE Heavy Breather & Reinhart Slip-ons. I have a problem that I can't consistently re-create, but it happens quite often and I am not sure if the PC-V has anything to do with it. This problem is not the REV limiter - I know what that is, and have hit it before, unintentionally.

When I am accelerating fast (WOT) and up shift, the bike suddenly bogs real bad. Sometimes it happens on the shift to 2nd, sometimes on the shift to 3rd, and sometimes on the shift to 4th, but never on consecutive shifts. If I back off the throttle then re-apply the throttle the bike runs normal, even while rapidly accelerating, then it won't do it again for a few days. It won't do it again for long enough that I forget about it, then BAM - it happens again.

This "bog down", as I call it, feels like a cylinder drops out. It is like the bike hits a brick wall, enough that it actually throws me forward a bit, and is more severe than when you hit the REV limiter. Any one got any pointers on things for me to check out?
This is not a problem with the PC-V, rather a safety function of the drive by wire system. The ECM monitors throttle blade angle and if during fast, high RPM shifting the throttle is only lifted slighly between shifts the ECM looks at this like there is an issue with the throttle grip sensor and cuts fuel momentarily.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

So to counter this issue I should make sure I rotate the throttle all the way back to the closed position when shifting?

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 09-28-2009 at 07:54 PM.