Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Bat Wing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default After Market Bat Wing Fairing

I love my three-month-old Road King and the main reason I chose the Road King is that the bike can be so many different bikes and do in a few minutes.

It can go from a stripped down bagger to a fully loaded touring bike.

I started by putting a 4-point quick release system. Followed by a passenger back rest and a quick detach tour pack.

My newest edition is in progress, a new (E-Bay) Fairing. It is set up for quick release/install on a Road King. The reason I chose this particular fairing is it is equipped with a 2-inch gauge hole over the radio. Down the road I want a tachometer and this would be a good place for it.

First I obtained to following parts for the fairing:

• Sony Marine Stereo.
  • Sea Worthy Radio Cover.
  • Cigarette Lighter.
  • Power Point.
  • Terminal Block.
  • Miscellaneous wire and connectors.
  • 6x9 4 way marine speakers

I work at a marine dealer so much of this was very easy to come by. One other thing I pick up at work was a 16-foot Yamaha trim/gauge harness extension. This is a 4-conductor harness with a male 4-conductor plug on one end and a female on the other and the ends fit each other. This harness gives me the quick release plug for the fairing to be removable.

I starter by installing the stereo cover in the fairing, the hole was already cut so no big deal. Installed the Sony stereo in the cover and locked her in.

The fairing is formed with two places for power points. Using a drafting divider to locate the center of where I need to drill holes, three-point swing method. Drilled the two holes with a hole-saw smaller than what was required and opened the holes up with a dremel tool for a perfect fit. Installed the power point and cigarette lighter. Then located and drilled a hole for the harness to go through.

Wiring. First I sanded the back of the terminal strip and the area were I am going to mount it. Mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and glued the terminal strip in. This permanently places the terminal strip inside the fairing with out putting any holes in it. Take a break while the epoxy dries.

Before you start wiring, draw out a wiring diagram. I did it in PC paint on the computer, simple line drawing and it will always be in the computer for future references.

I started by running all the grounds. Then all the powers (with fuses) and the memory lead for the stereo. I do have one extra wire for the tachometer pulse lead for when I add the tachometer. Power and ground can be pulled from the terminal block.

Then installed a grommet in the wiring harness hole and ran the harness to the terminal strip. I folded up about 2 feet of the harness inside the fairing just in case Murphy want to put his 2 cents in.

I have everything except my speakers. I purchased a set of top of the line Clarions and while they fit the mounts the magnets were to big and wouldn’t let the fairing halves go back together. See, Murphy did strike. I contacted the person I got the fairing from and he said to call Dragonfly Concepts and get a set of the speakers they use. The are Kenwood 4 way marine speakers and there price is very good.

Now take everything out and send it out to be painted. So why did I do all this work just to take it all apart. Because there is less of a chance of damaging the paintwork plus all the holes are all drilled and all I have to do is mount everything back in, stick it on the bike and go for a ride.

More pictures and installing the harness in the bike to come once it comes back from paint. Here are some pictures of it on the bike.

Last edited by Texas Rapier; 09-26-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 09-26-2009, 02:57 PM
rk99
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Tex! Ever think of doing your own Tech Manual - this is some excellent information and well documented by pictures and explanations! You are doing exactly what I WANT to do on my 07 RK when the capital becomes available! I appreciate your thouroughness.. BTW, where is the tour pack from...??

Ride safe!

Old 09-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

Hello RK99

The tour pack is on I picked up of E-Bay for around $100.00 dollars and then put in on one of Harleys quick removable brackets. The bracket is around $160.00.

I live in Texas which doesn't require helmets but they are required for minors. I drop my 13 yr old son off every morning at school so he has to wear a helmet. the tour pack give me someplace to put his helmet when he' s not on the bike.

The tour pack is of medium quality but it does hold 2 full face helmets with out a problem and yes it does come with the back rest shown. The seller has an optional LED spoiler and a larger wrap around back rest.

Down the road I want a better one, but this one works good for now and the price was right.

Here's a link to one of the sellers ads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/After...d=p3911.c0.m14

Old 09-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good Job!

I went the more expensive route and bought a Deadcenter fairing painted. Some don't like the extra space above the radio but I was planning to fill it with some gauges or widescreen GPS. I also plan to add a tour pak but because my bike is a RKC I will get the leather ones to match my bags.

D.J

Old 09-26-2009, 03:50 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tex, who made/sold the fairing on e-bay?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

Here's a link for the one I got. He doesn't have any on e-bay right now but I have seen him sell several of these. If you like it you may be able to contact him through his e-bay user name.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Old 09-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

Blue Duck

Nice Bike. Nothing wrong with the fairing you have. I don't particularity car for the space above the radio but it does have advantages. If you wanted to yo could add a full bank of gauges to it, your on custom logo or pretty much anything.

Another reason I chose the fairing I did was the back mounted speaker and 6x9's
I figured the 6x9's would kick out more sound and the back mounted speaker to me has a more finished look. But to each there own.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DGlide04
Tex, who made/sold the fairing on e-bay?
That's one of the Chinese "Invicta" fairings. First they made a virtually identical copy of the one I designed at Hoppe's, then they added a version in Dragonfly's 6x9 style.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

I sorry the ripped off you design. It seems to be a very well designed faring and the quality looks good.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
I sorry the ripped off you design. It seems to be a very well designed faring and the quality looks good.
Glad they/you liked it Nothing personal btw, enjoy the ride-bike looks real nice.

Quick Reply: After Market Bat Wing Fairing