Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Bat Wing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 PM
brunosrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jahillsr
Subscribe.
Me too. BTW, nice job Tex!!

Old 07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

some of us like options

I've also got a set of the RK classic leather bags that I like to run when I have the windshield on. I've got several different bikes in one parking space in my garage.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 PM
RK Scooter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike. I think I got jobbed. The seller says it will fit road kings without nacelles. Don't all road kings have nacelles of some sort?

So either I go with a different fairing or go street glide. So what fairing have people tried that fit a road kind with a nacelle?

Anybody need a batwing for a fatboy?

Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, I would never call my dad a *****. That WWII vet would lurch out of his wheel chair and beat me silly with his cane if I ever called him a *****. You're a brave man to cal your dad a *****.

Also, I complement your work. The detail you completed on your upgrade is worthy of praise. As a retired Army electrical warrant officer I applaud your attention to detail and clean work. I just have a hard time taking the best looking bike on the road and dressing her in different clothes. It's like telling Miss America that she's needs better clothes to look good.
My father started in the Navy (corpsman) during WWII had two ships shot out from underneath him. Spent 18 hrs in the water for the first one 39 hrs in the water the second. He watched several of his buddies turn into shark food.

Transferred to the marines for the Korean War First Recon medic.

Transferred to the Army spent one tour in Nam as a battle field hospital administrator.

Three wars were enough. And yes he was a tough bird. But he was a ***** when it came to motorcycles.

Passed away three years ago. Buried with full military honors.

Thank for the complement on the work, especially coming from a CWO sparky.

I agree with you on King, mine is little different, and can go from bikini to evening gown, but she always looks good and gets the job done.

It's all for the ride.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice bike. I think I got jobbed. The seller says it will fit road kings without nacelles. Don't all road kings have nacelles of some sort?

So either I go with a different fairing or go street glide. So what fairing have people tried that fit a road kind with a nacelle?

Anybody need a batwing for a fatboy?
As far as I know all the Road Kings have the "Freight Train" Nacelles, It kind of a trade mark of a Road King.

The fat boy has a much smaller headlight.

There are many people and companies that fab fairing for road kings, it depends on the speaker arrangement you want. 2 ea 5.25 to 6.5, 4 ea 5.25 to 6.5 or 2 6x9s.

The advantage of the 4 speaker system is most stereos are designed with 4 speaker outputs and let you use all the power of the stereo. But, they look a little cluttered to me.

The two 6x9s give you the biggest speaker area but they are power hungry and take a little more power to sound really good.

Now if you’re looking for a 4 speaker fairing I would talk to Woody of Woody's fairing, he has posts in this thread. He a one man show working out of his own shop and I feel he has the best bang for the buck fairing on the market. I believe you can buy from him in any stage of completion you want.

I took a chance on mine buying off E-bay but I didn't buy the cheapest pos on e-bay either. The guy I purchased from list his around $450.00 and we exchange 20 or so email before I purchased his. If they don't want to correspond, don't buy.

The person I purchased from is even using one of my pictures on his ad and sends all his buyers to this thread for assembly info. I still talk to him from time to time.

Post some pictures of what you have, maybe we can help. Also post who you purchased from so we can warn other people off.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 AM
RK Scooter
Advanced

Here is a picture of the attempted assembly to the RK.

Attached Thumbnails After Market Bat Wing Fairing-100_1271.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 AM
RK Scooter
Advanced

A picture with it laid on the fatboy. It will fit a fatboy light all day (do Heritage's have the same size light as a fatboy?). No way is it fitting over the RK.

Attached Thumbnails After Market Bat Wing Fairing-100_1270.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Must be for a different bike buddy.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, you got jobbed, or the seller doesn't know what he's (re)selling. A Road King w/o a nacelle is called a missing headlamp
If it's fiberglass and you like it otherwise, it'd be no big deal to reshape it with a grinder to open up the headlamp area. Pick up a small fiberglass repair kit with resin/MEKp/fabric and build it up from behind on the inside before doing any grinding. If you need to take 1/4" off each side put down at least 1/4" behind the area first. Biggest hassle is the nasty fiberglass dust. For a small area like that you could use a long sanding board w/36 grit paper. When it's a good fit just use some polyester body filler or icing to smooth it out before painting.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 PM
RK Scooter
Advanced

Thanks Glenn. I'll look at it again tonight. I'm leaning toward just returning it and going with another brand that won't need as much work.

That or going street glide.

Quick Reply: After Market Bat Wing Fairing