Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage I and pipes question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Maggie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage I and pipes question

I have been reading and occasionally sending in questions over the past year, since buying my 09 Ultra. (which I love, by the way) This forum is excellent. I have always appreciated the feedback! I need advice on what package to go with on moving into the Stage I, the download or PCV, and slip-ons. I think I have that correct.

I actually have an order in with Fuel Moto for their package of dyno tuned mufflers, Stage I and PCV. Mostly due to what I have read on this forum. However, I am having second thoughts and would like feedback on maybe going the HD route. That would be the Screaming Eagle Touring slip-ons, Stage I and then the shop does the ECM.......my Harly store of course told me that this is the way to go.

I just want a little more rumble, the power gain you achieve, and cool down the bike a bit! Any pros and cons to what I have described? I don't want the bike to be too loud and I am afraid that the dyno tuned mufflers might be too loud and the PCV "lies" to the bike to get the adjustment needed..........I am confused and this is a really big decision for me!
Thank you! Maggie

Old 09-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your HD dealer is saying that is best because they want you to buy from them. You can not go wrong with Fuel Moto, plus you will get better customer service and no BS from Jamie. I have an 09 Glide and could not be happier with my setup, pipes air cleaner and PC V. My bike is running cooler and does not skip a beat, runs perfect and it took 5 minutes to hook up the PC V. You made the right choice now stick to it. Oh and by the way welcome to the forum!!

Last edited by Maxcustody; 09-26-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went to a stage 2 screaming eagle upgrade on a 10 RKC. The reason was not entirely performance based. It was because it is covered under the 2 year warranty. I know there are better options out there, but I am not in it for a race bike, just wanted more power. It definitely has that.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Stay with the FM package

When I bought my 08, I did the SE AC and the remap. Cost me 150.00. I then added the Dyno Tuned Jackpots, I needed to do something again, pay another 150 or invest in the PCV. The power commander and support from FM is great. Any changes you make or any questions call Jamie and he will help you with your map if needed.

Like Max, I recommend you stay with the FM package. The PCV will allow you to change and not have to pay the dealer for ECM remaps. I eventually added the AutoTune and really liked that. Not everyone agrees with the Autotune.

I now have an 10 SG and waiting for the PCV and AT for the 10s. That is going to be my first mod.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:12 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I'd stick with the FM package.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:02 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

You wont be happy with the SE Touring mufflers for one thing. And for another, you'll need to see the dealer any time you switch out mufflers or a/c.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:22 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the PCV (went with the HD Ventilator and Bub 7s)from FM and it has been great (even the HD dealer that told me not to purchase the PCV, commented on how great the bike runs). It was cheaper, outstanding customer service, and you can make mods if needed without going to the dealer (and paying additional $).

Go with FM and don't consider anything else, you will be happy.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:43 PM
shakak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the Fm PCV set up

Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with everyone else - the FuelMoto equipment and service is top-notch! I don't see any advantage at all with going to the HD setup over the PCV. I've used an assortment of HD and aftermarket Stage 1 stuff in the past and it'll be FuelMoto/PCV from now on!

Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

PCV all the way. User friendly and great customer service from Fuel Moto. Look at the PCV as buying a tool. When you buy the dealer download, it's like you are buying a single 9/16 wrench. When you buy the PCV, it's like you bought every single wrench ever made plus the ability to create any custom wrench that you can imagine.

As for exhaust sound, I had the DT Jackpots on my 08 and did not find them to be loud at all. On my 09 I now have the Monster Ovals along with the PCV and SEAC and find this to be the perfect volume, deepest tone and great performance.

Quick Reply: Stage I and pipes question