Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Vibration ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Old post - same problem

Originally Posted by al baehr
Update Mystery solved I hope.

Well after 5 trips to the dealer and many new parts, it turns out the primary was rubbing againist the chrome pass footboard bracket. Now this is a harley part that is the correct part for this bike. Its just a little wider. I installed these in June so I dont know why the problem didnt start to just a few weeks ago, the dealer said with things wearing the motor just must have setled or moved a little. Note Harley tech has never heard of this so I am not convinced that there is still not a problem. I still believe that something is pulling out of place under rear wheel drag. We will see.. Thanks Al
Al -- did this solve the '09 rear brake vibration? I've got an '09 Ultra with the same vibration, worse when 2-up, and was wondering if you ever got yours sorted out?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys I posted a while back about the same or very, very similar problem on my 09 UC taking place on decel braking with the rear wheel only--like to ruboff a bit of speed when going downhill. If you care to read any of it it's here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-09-ultra.html

It still does it after lengthy trials, testing, complaining to the dealer (of which it was of course "normal") I have given up and just modified the way I use the brakes-- front wheel brake on decel..

I'm stumped too and wonder if it's something to do with the alignment of the new rear frame tail segment bolted to the frame...

Old 08-12-2011, 05:31 AM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed GlidePro couple of weeks ago if they had anything to improve the engine mounts and swingarm bushes on 09 later touring bikes and they informed me that they have just finished them and should have production parts next week. It might be just the ticket to remove the vibration. Will just have to wait and see what Glide Pro have to offer. Theyve included me in the mail list when theyre ready for shipping so I'll let you know when I here some more info.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:52 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

All of the 2009 and up have the vibration you all are talking about when using the rear brake with much pressure...From what I understand with the new style rubber motor mts. the ids and compensator...You are feeling the eng pulsing when you apply the rear brakes with any real pressure...They all do it...If you use front brakes more than your rear brakes you just don't notice it much.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 AM
ronrieger
Novice

I totally agree with Geezer Glide 56...

I have ridden several of the new bikes with the 103 engines trying to determine if mine had a unique problem with the vibration when braking. All the touring bikes since 2009 have this vibration when braking. I even rode new ones in the HD demo fleet. I have been talking with HD Customer Care about this issue since shortley after I purchase my 2011 Limited back in October, 2010. Initially I was told they had no knowledge of the vibration when braking with the rear brake. I had my bike into the shop several times after Customer Care assigned me a case #. My bike was thoroughly checked over as directed by the Customer Care department and nothing was found. I was concerned that it might be a safety issue. Finally in July of 2011 Customer Care informed me that all of the touring bikes with the change in frame design, bigger rear wheel, etc. since 2009 acted the same way and it was normal.

I never experienced this with any of my previous Harleys so I was concerned. Now that I know it is normal for all since 2009 I have moved on.

Ron
Houston
2011 Limited

Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=ronrieger;8712948]I totally agree with Geezer Glide 56...
Initially I was told they had no knowledge of the vibration when braking with the rear brake.

No Knowledge eh? HD Australia conferred with HD USA tech group when I reported my decel braking issue through their system. Guess we don't make it on their radar screen...

I have moved on too-- I just use the brakes differently-- more bias on the front than before which helps a bit, and clutch in earlier than I would normal.

I'll keep an eye on the Glide Pro system though.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Pah-Leeze!

Ok, so I guess I'll just have to live with the rear brake vibration on my '09 Ultra for now and move on ... but it still don't seem right. Either some of the most basic principles of physics as I understand them are wrong, or there's an engineer at H-D that has some splainin' to do! But "normal"? No way! You can't make me believe that with all the blood-sucking attorneys (no offense intended) hovering around just waiting for an opportunity to litigate a class-action suit, that Harley simply decided to not fix an obvious and somewhat alarming brake issue. There has to be a fix out there somewhere, or at least a recall of some kind in the near future.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Ok, so I guess I'll just have to live with the rear brake vibration on my '09 Ultra for now and move on ... but it still don't seem right. Either some of the most basic principles of physics as I understand them are wrong, or there's an engineer at H-D that has some splainin' to do! But "normal"? No way! You can't make me believe that with all the blood-sucking attorneys (no offense intended) hovering around just waiting for an opportunity to litigate a class-action suit, that Harley simply decided to not fix an obvious and somewhat alarming brake issue. There has to be a fix out there somewhere, or at least a recall of some kind in the near future.
I don't believe that your problems are "normal" either. My '09 Road King Classic does not vibrate when I activate the rear brake. I do alot of trail-braking and have never had it vibrate, skip, or stutter. It sounds to me like they're shining you on.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Palau
Advanced

Originally Posted by al baehr
<snip> I have a 09 ultra, when applying the rear brake there is a Real bad vibration , but only seams to do it when 2 up. <snip>
I have the exact same issue (only with 2 up). The bike is a '09 RKC w/ ABS.
ABS download was done last year.
Reading this thread it sounds like Al's issue was taken care of; however, a number of other people have chimed in with the same/similar issue. Count me in.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 AM
IslandBiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hojones
If my bike was acting like yours, I would take it to the dealer and leave it. Tell them to call me when they find the problem, period. It could very well be a saftey issue as bad as you say it is. Let them get HD involved in it.
I totally agree. I wouldn't let it sit in my garage one more day.

Quick Reply: 09 Vibration ?