Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Confusion!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,159 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by hotpursuit
how do you read where your spark knock occured on a pc does it tell you at what rpm/map/tp and how many degrees it detonated at? you cant just listen for it because low amounts you will not hear?

so let say you have no detonation... your stuck in some traffic and your temps rise a bit, where is the feature that pulls some timming (adjusted by the tuner) relative to the head temps? (especially the tbw bikes)
If you have a Dynojet dyno you can use the Dynojet DLM which will allow you to log all of the J1850 channels right thru Winpep. All of the ECM and dyno channels are right there and in the case we are talking about here the TPS, igntion timing, RPM and even measured AFR is right there. You can make runs or watch the ECM channels in real time to see if it pulling timing and graph them back by RPM, TPS, MAP, speed or whatever and if you want to see thats happening with another channel just lay it out on the same graph. Dynojet is also soon releasing Master Control Center which is a completely new generation of dyno software that will have even more Delphi ECM integration. We also use several other brands of logging software such as TechnoResearch Centurion which will also allow even more advanced streaming and logging but it is not integrated into the dyno software. It all depends on the application. If you need to adjust timing based on temp you cannot do this with a Power Commander, however a cool strategy you could use with PC-V would be to use a map switch with a second map with revised timing and richer fuel mixture which would give you even more tuning options.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-22-2010, 01:20 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
If you have a Dynojet dyno you can use the Dynojet DLM which will allow you to log all of the J1850 channels right thru Winpep. All of the ECM and dyno channels are right there and in the case we are talking about here the TPS, igntion timing, RPM and even measured AFR is right there. You can make runs or watch the ECM channels in real time to see if it pulling timing and graph them back by RPM, TPS, MAP, speed or whatever and if you want to see thats happening with another channel just lay it out on the same graph. Dynojet is also soon releasing Master Control Center which is a completely new generation of dyno software that will have even more Delphi ECM integration. We also use several other brands of logging software such as TechnoResearch Centurion which will also allow even more advanced streaming and logging but it is not integrated into the dyno software. It all depends on the application. If you need to adjust timing based on temp you cannot do this with a Power Commander, however a cool strategy you could use with PC-V would be to use a map switch with a second map with revised timing and richer fuel mixture which would give you even more tuning options.

we use techno research (actually they have a nice tuner also) and twinscan... im anxiously awaiting the master control center..

as far as fbw you are correct if you absolutely correct on the lean mixture/ accel enrichment that has to be dead on imho but then the final tweak in the throttle progressivity is what sets it aprt....

Last edited by hotpursuit; 02-22-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

my 08 streetglide is in the shop now for the screamin eagle pro tc 103, stage 2 upgrade kit. i have a pcv which i got from fuelmoto, but i've already removed it as well as the rinehart slip ons. i'll be using the 2 into 1 V&H pro pipe, after much thought and discussion with the guy doing the build and tuning.this new kit seems to be mighty nice, with the 259E cams, i hope it doesn't lose low end torque. drilled heads for the manual releases and installed the s.e. compensator while it's down too. the kit comes with the sest, and tuning for the bike will be more familiar to the guy running the dyno. i'm excited about the build, hoping it impresses me. as far as tuners go, i am sure that most aftermarket tuners, if tuned by someone who actually has the experience with them, and who really cares about finding that sweet spot in your motor, i think any of them would work great. the only reason i'm changing over to the sest is because of the build, and the familiarity of the tuner with the sest. he's tuned the pc3, pc5, etc through the years, and on his suggestion, i'm going with the sest. good luck with whatever you end up using.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i apologize to the O.P. as i got carried away with my build rather than his query about the types of tuners. the neat thing also about the pcv is that you can run two maps, and switch to another map, rather than hooking into anything like a laptop, etc. just a switch. pretty neat that way. now if i could figure out what a pc5 is worth, it'd be in the classifieds section. good luck and hope you get a tuner you're happy with and someone who will take the time to do the tuning right for you.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

We're getting a good exchange of ideas here with Fuel Moto, Hotpursuit, et al--along with my minuscule contributions--and it shows what can be done by simply discussing the topic intelligently without personal insults. I don't know about anyone else reading this thread, but I'm learning things here.

Last edited by iclick; 02-22-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Chimp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, learning a lot. Now I understand in part why several people have commented the TTS/SEST is "better". Discussion of some features it has (useful for at least the FBW bikes) that the PCV doesn't have has been enlightening.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Chimp
Yea, learning a lot. Now I understand in part why several people have commented the TTS/SEST is "better". Discussion of some features it has (useful for at least the FBW bikes) that the PCV doesn't have has been enlightening.
Lets not put the SEST in the same category as the TTS. There are huge differences, especially for some one who wants to tune their own bike. To tune you need to have access to the data and the TTS makes it easy, and the SEST makes it next to impossible.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,159 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Lets not put the SEST in the same category as the TTS. There are huge differences, especially for some one who wants to tune their own bike. To tune you need to have access to the data and the TTS makes it easy, and the SEST makes it next to impossible.
I like tuning with both, but in what sense do you feel SEST is not in the same category as TTS? As far as the Data mode, with SEST everything is right there on the screen for you to stream or log, unlike TTS where Datamaster as a completely seperate program. The software is very straight forward to navigate, the same lookup tables are exposed, and you can even use the VCI to log data instead of connecting to a PC (especially handy if you are doing on bike tuning, instead of carrying a laptop with you) Comparing TTS V-Tune to SEST Smart tune it works equally well and is very easy to use. In many respects I feel the SEST is actually better, unlike TTS you can have several tables open at the same time, you can apply edits to multiple tables when possible, and it is a huge advantage to me to be able to use basic Windows functions when editing tables. Another big advantage is the SEST's VCI which is USB, instead of the outdated serial cable TTS dongle.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question

I have a 2010 Road Glide Custom with a Ness Big Sucker, D&D Boss Fat Cat 2:1 (D&D says I don't need a tuner), stock 96" engine. The closest competant tuner who could tune my tuner is 350 miles north of me in Houston. That is to say any tuners I'd have confidence in. That would be a 700 mile round trip and a night in a motel or worse leave my bike then go back and get it making it a 1400 mile trip and 2 nights in a motel.
Everyone says engines are different but so are people and their situations.
So my question is: Who can send me a tuner already mapped for my set up not to exceed $299 + $12.95 shipping and and installation time of 5 minutes, that I can do myself, and also put a smile on my face after my 1st ride? Sorry Fuelmoto, you don't get to respond.
The poor fella that started this thread back in September of last year probably got so confused he sold his motorcycle.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
I like tuning with both, but in what sense do you feel SEST is not in the same category as TTS? As far as the Data mode, with SEST everything is right there on the screen for you to stream or log, unlike TTS where Datamaster as a completely seperate program. The software is very straight forward to navigate, the same lookup tables are exposed, and you can even use the VCI to log data instead of connecting to a PC (especially handy if you are doing on bike tuning, instead of carrying a laptop with you) Comparing TTS V-Tune to SEST Smart tune it works equally well and is very easy to use. In many respects I feel the SEST is actually better, unlike TTS you can have several tables open at the same time, you can apply edits to multiple tables when possible, and it is a huge advantage to me to be able to use basic Windows functions when editing tables. Another big advantage is the SEST's VCI which is USB, instead of the outdated serial cable TTS dongle.
I actually use the datamaster part of the TTS on the dyno. I use the generic data when conventionally tuning on 1/2 the screen and run winpep on the other half. It lets me watch tp, engine temp and map and still operate winpep, all on one screen. When I am doing the timing tables I run spark data on 1/2 and winpep on the other half. I can then see knock retard and make sure it is repeatable, again while being able to operate winpep. I can't do that with the SEST because it consumes my whole screen. One pet peeve with the SEST is not being able to resize the window or access anything else without minimizing the program first. With a notebook I use on the road I can't even access the button to open a data file because I can't resize the window. Believe it or not, no one from the MOCO has been able to help with that. When I vtune I have a different Winpep template that I use to watch brake temps while still having having vtune histogram on top to watch the x. I also can have the map open at the same time as data master so that when looking at something I can go back and forth without loosing my place. I find with the SEST when I go from looking at data (for example frames #856-900) and then the tuning file, when I return to the data table it has reset to frame #1. Where I think the datamaster shines is the ability to export the data to a csv. or txt. file which allows viewing, or printing as much data and as many frames before a "knock" event as I want. Lets me know which table I need to use as it is not always a just matter of removing timing. Even though I can print the data from the SEST, it only allows printing of one frame at a time. Because we have to look before the actual knock retard to find the reason, one frame of information is not enough. As for working multiple tables I find I am only one mouse click away from any table or comparing the edits to the baseline or original map. I know I can do that by dragging one table over the other with the SEST, I just find the TTS method easier. When (not if) I loose track of my edits I like being able to reset a cell, row, column or table to baseline with the click of a button rather than having to copy and paste from another table. I also tune with the SEST, but still use datamater to collect and view the data. The newest cable sets I got are usb and are shorter. I actually like the old cables that came with the TTS as they reach from the dyno to my tower. I guess it's just a matter of what we get comfortable using, not what we use, to make sure the tune is right.

Quick Reply: Tuner Confusion!!!!!