Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Confusion!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,159 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by hotpursuit
ha ha ha.... dont think so... been down the pc road.. IT FALLS SHORT. dont get me wrong it has its place... pipes/air cleaner/cam... if you start getting some high cylinder pressure good luck. PC will only allow timming changes 10 degrees + or - from factory settings. with the other device talked about here you can creat and change the timming table to practically anything you want (or what your bike needs) what was beeing done for a while was a stage two flash from harley, the a pc tune... why? because you cant get the timming correct with a pc.
You have 10-15 degrees of igntion timing adjustment depending on the Power Commander model. In the rare occurrence this is not a large enough window of adjustment you can contact Dynojet, fill out the required fax form and they will provide a new unlock code with more timing adjustment. Anyone doing a stage II download for less timing advance simply did not know of this feature.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
You have 10-15 degrees of igntion timing adjustment depending on the Power Commander model. In the rare occurrence this is not a large enough window of adjustment you can contact Dynojet, fill out the required fax form and they will provide a new unlock code with more timing adjustment. Anyone doing a stage II download for less timing advance simply did not know of this feature.

thats nice to know... i wasnt tunning at the time the local shops were doing this trick to get the timming in check...(i do most of our big builds with TTS/SERT/SEST) at the recent seminar i asked how many degrees can be adjusted and was not given the info you just gave me at the seminar... i was just flat told ten degrees + or -

Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

thats nice to know... i wasnt tunning at the time the local shops were doing this trick to get the timming in check...(i do most of our big builds with TTS/SERT/SEST) at the recent seminar i asked how many degrees can be adjusted and was not given the info you just gave me at the seminar... i was just flat told ten degrees + or -
Anyway, in 99.9% of cases would you ever need more adjustability?

Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick

how many cases have you personally seen this to know what the percentage is?

i can surely tell you its not 99.9%

and you key in on this but no comment about how there is no adjustment for fbw.... which, having this adjustment, is a HUGE benifit on the fbw scoots.

or how bout removing 02 sesors (which trips a code that is seen on a scan tool and pc says is ok cause the rider doesnt see it...lol)

bottom line... i can go on and on... if you like pc good for you... mine is laying in a box somewhere with the regret of ever buying it.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

remember its not always about the numbers... its about rideability... i have tuned with both and from my experience the sert and sest and tts create a much smoother running scoot.. and the fbw baggers, not a comparrison... you have no parameters of adjustment for the fbw with a pc.
Why would an engine run smoother with one tuner vs. another if the proper AFR's and timing are satisfied, especially non-TBW bikes? You can do this with both given a good map, so how can one be superior to the other? If you perform a dyno tune and you need 11% more fuel at 3000rpm @ 20% TP with 3° ignition advance, why would these settings be better with SERT than a PCV? You can achieve them with both.

ive had three different devices on my scoot and the only ones i would consider at this point in time would the the sert (current tuner) or a tts (may upgrade shortly)
I would assume the flash-based tuners are better for you, but this isn't the case for everyone. Remember, I'm only saying that there are number of good options on the market, and not one is ideal for everyone. In my case the PCV was the best choice, for one reason because I wanted the map-switch feature, and you can't get that with any other tuner. I also wanted the Auto-Tune upgrade, which allows closed-loop operation throughout the RPM/TP range, which is something else the flash-based tuners won't do. They all have their pros and cons in the eyes of the buyer, and it's up to him to determine which is best for his purposes.

lol i was at a pc training seminar recently...lol all i could think of was that late night commercial "set it and forget it" they were all about how fast you can get a bike out the door... now in business that is important BUT i want my customers to know that i took my time, payed attention to detail and treated there pride and joy as if it were mine.
Were they encouraging you to knock a dyno-tune out before it was completed, or were they trying to teach you how to accomplish it in the shortest amount of time? Are most customers interested in the quality of the tune or how long it takes to complete it?

Last edited by iclick; 02-22-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:23 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by iclick
We need to pull a good amount of timing (usually 5-8 degrees) on some earlier 02-06 era big bore high compression builds, primarily when there is too much dynamic compression. Generally speaking if we are getting spark knock with 10 degrees of timing removed we need to look at the cause because removing more timing is only masking an underlying issue. We have never seen an issue with an 07 or newer model.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

how many cases have you personally seen this to know what the percentage is?
I don't, which is why I posed it as a question.

and you key in on this but no comment about how there is no adjustment for fbw.... which, having this adjustment, is a HUGE benifit on the fbw scoots.
I don't own a TBW scoot, so it is irrelevant to me at this time. I can't say how it affects these bikes other than comments made by Jamie at Fuel Moto in another thread. I don't recall the thrust of it and it's too late to check tonight, so I'll see if I can find it tomorrow. He mentioned that there were effective work-arounds for this, so maybe you could ask him.

or how bout removing 02 sesors (which trips a code that is seen on a scan tool and pc says is ok cause the rider doesnt see it...lol)
I don't understand your point. I didn't run O2 sensors for two years until I installed Auto-Tune and have never experienced a fault code of any kind, and most PCV owners who report here have had similar results. Are you saying it is a phantom fault code only readable by a "scan tool"? Please elaborate, as this is the first I've heard about this.

bottom line... i can go on and on... if you like pc good for you... mine is laying in a box somewhere with the regret of ever buying it.
Okay, you like another tuner. I like the PCV-AT. As I've said over and over and over again, no one tuner is best for everyone.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

We need to pull a good amount of timing (usually 5-8 degrees) on some earlier 02-06 era big bore high compression builds, primarily when there is too much dynamic compression. Generally speaking if we are getting spark knock with 10 degrees of timing removed we need to look at the cause because removing more timing is only masking an underlying issue. We have never seen an issue with an 07 or newer model.
Sounds like my 99.9% guestimate might not be too far off after all.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

how do you read where your spark knock occured on a pc does it tell you at what rpm/map/tp and how many degrees it detonated at? you cant just listen for it because low amounts you will not hear?

so let say you have no detonation... your stuck in some traffic and your temps rise a bit, where is the feature that pulls some timming (adjusted by the tuner) relative to the head temps?

Fuelmoto i will and believe that pc has a place.. i also feel that a custom tune is better than any canned map. i feel you have helped alot of people along your way..i will not knock it and say its junk, i still sell and tune pc's depending upon customers needs. But i tend to advise another direction because i believe in my heart they get more out of the other devices. ive tunned the same bike with a pc then a tts and the customer is typically overwhelmed at the difference. (especially the tbw bikes)

Old 02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

I have hundreds of logs of the throttle blade strategies on our 09 and 2010 bikes. I also have used TTS on these bikes as well (the TTS calibrations most interestingy use the same throttle blade base settings as the stock bike) and have adjusted the throttle prog table all over the place to see the results. I do agree the throttle prog tables in TTS and SEST are very handy when needed, however I have found firsthand that the response (or lack of) on the dbw bikes is much more related to the lean mixure of the stock calibration combined with excessive accelleration enrichment. When the fuel tables and igntion timing are properly tuned throttle response is very good with the base throttle table. If you have TTS or SEST, I recommend running Datamaster or SEST Data Mode and logging MAP and TPS and this will really help an understanding of the strategy.

Quick Reply: Tuner Confusion!!!!!