Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Confusion!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:18 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock 05 I just bought V&H True Duals, Jackpot Mufflers, SE Air, & TTS from Jamie. I was going to try and do the install myself but now chickening out. I talked with a local tuner that knows TTS, he said that was a very good choice and that with my parts I can go with a canned map from TTS and probably don't need a Dyno but he will put it on the Dyno just to make sure its correct. He also said unless I add Cams that a full Dyno is a waste of money. Sounds like he is not trying to sell me a full Dyno and save me some bucks so this is the route I'm taking.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
The T-Max completely replaces the HD ECM and is also not married to the bike so you can remove it if you sell the bike.
T-Max isn't available for TBW bikes ('08<), yet anyway.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by edmo119
Went to my HD dealer to discuss performance package options for my 09 street glide. <snip>
The SEST is an excellent tuner, but unless you use specific HD accessories (mufflers, etc.) you will need a dyno tune, which in total is an expensive proposition. As always in these tuner threads, there has been one suggestion that the flash-based tuners (SERT, TTS, SEST) will provide a better tune "in the hands of a competent tuner" than a PCIII or PCV, but there's no evidence to substantiate these claims. The truth is that in the hands of a competent human tuner you can get an optimum tune with any of the flash-based tuners and the PCV (or PCIII), and the PCV with Auto-Tune will tune AFR's on-the-fly to your specifications.

The PCV from Fuel Moto is the best bang-for-the-buck option, IMO, at $300. You will get an accurate map for your configuration, map upgrades for life, and it is unlikely you would ever need a dyno-tune. It can also be upgraded to Auto-Tune for true auto-tuning throughout the RPM/TP range, which is something the flash-based tuners can't do.

I would limit my options to the above tuners, as everything else is limited in some way. The flash-based tuners and PCV will give you an excellent tune, and which one is best for you depends on what you want to do and what features are most important. Each has features the others don't have.

Last edited by iclick; 02-21-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:29 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
... but there's no evidence to substantiate these claims.

The truth is that in the hands of a competent human tuner you can get an optimum tune with any of the flash-based tuners and the PCV (or PCIII),

and the PCV with Auto-Tune will tune AFR's on-the-fly to your specifications.
I should not be surprised by this, but because I actually give a **** I am again puzzled by this rhetoric.

Straight from Politics 101

"Repeat any lie over and over and eventually you can make the uninformed believe it as true." - What they didn't tell you was that you will start to believe it too.

No need requesting my explanation again, as I have accepted that you are either not capable and/or have no desire for listening to me - maybe both (which is A-Ok). All I have offer you is this: Because nobody's explation is "good enough" for you, perhaps you should consider actually TRYING ONE OF THE OTHER DEVICES that you continue to minimize ~ rather than blindly proclaiming your way is best for OTHERS.

One thing I can say is that you stand by your (or someones) conviction(s) despite any/all sincere efforts to HELP enlighten you. I hope life is pleasant and that you enjoy it with blinders on.

More power to ya.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:43 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having the SERT installed this week,along with mufflers and heavy breather, to me it seemed to be the better choice.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Ya gotta read and read and then read some more.....
Of course HD is going to push the SE one....But what do you expect.
It has its place in the world...I bought it but you have to read up and know what your buying and why....

Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Your tuner is only as good as your tuner. Figure that one out.

And I ain't talking about this tuner either!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhilM
No need requesting my explanation again, as I have accepted that you are either not capable and/or have no desire for listening to me - maybe both (which is A-Ok).
Here we go again. I'll just skip over the part where you accused me of lying.

Phil, you never gave an explanation. Not once. If you did, would you post the link? I'm sure we would all learn from it. I have no desire to listen to you? On the contrary I have a great desire to hear from you on some level besides personal insults. Just because you tune with one tuner and you say it is superior doesn't make it so.

I never said any tuner was better than another, but you have--and when tasked with evidence or even a rational explanation you've never provided it. I invite you to do so now. Just saying "I tune with XYZ tuner, it is therefore the best, and if you disagree you are an idiot" isn't what I'm looking for. Please try another approach.

All I have offer you is this: Because nobody's explation is "good enough" for you....
You've never provided an explanation, so why not either give us a link to your previous explanation or just give it again. Instead of insulting me you could've spent your time productively by explaining why you feel a flash-based tuner is superior given a competent human tuner.

Here's what I want to know: Given that the mission of a tuning device is to provide (1) the correct injector pulse-width (AFR) at (2) the correct time (ignition), why is your flash-based tuner can do these two fundamental things better than the PCV given a correct map?

That's all I want to know in a succinct but detailed explanation. Can you just do that without personal insults?

...perhaps you should consider actually TRYING ONE OF THE OTHER DEVICES that you continue to minimize ~ rather than blindly proclaiming your way is best for OTHERS.
So I'm going to buy another tuner when I'm happy with the one I now have? That would be irrational and expensive. I have never said the PCV was a better tuner than the flash-based tuner that you prefer. Not once. If you disagree, post a link where I did. I have said that I felt a PCV from Fuel Moto was the best bang-for-the-buck tuner option for most riders and that's my honest opinion. I can justify this and have on numerous occasions. Would you like to discuss it rationally? I'm ready.

One thing I can say is that you stand by your (or someones) conviction(s) despite any/all sincere efforts to HELP enlighten you. I hope life is pleasant and that you enjoy it with blinders on.
Again, all I've ever gotten from you is personal insults and claims that I don't listen to you. You could've given us a list of reasons why your favorite tuner is superior in the time you spent insulting me.

Last edited by iclick; 02-21-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Sbscribed!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:15 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
Here we go again. I'll just skip over the part where you accused me of lying.

Phil, you never gave an explanation. Not once. If you did, would you post the link? I'm sure we would all learn from it. I have no desire to listen to you? On the contrary I have a great desire to hear from you on some level besides personal insults. Just because you tune with one tuner and you say it is superior doesn't make it so.

I never said any tuner was better than another, but you have--and when tasked with evidence or even a rational explanation you've never provided it. I invite you to do so now. Just saying "I tune with XYZ tuner, it is therefore the best, and if you disagree you are an idiot" isn't what I'm looking for. Please try another approach.

You've never provided an explanation, so why not either give us a link to your previous explanation or just give it again. Instead of insulting me you could've spent your time productively by explaining why you feel a flash-based tuner is superior given a competent human tuner.

Here's what I want to know: Given that the mission of a tuning device is to provide (1) the correct injector pulse-width (AFR) at (2) the correct time (ignition), why is your flash-based tuner can do these two fundamental things better than the PCV given a correct map?

That's all I want to know in a succinct but detailed explanation. Can you just do that without personal insults?

So I'm going to buy another tuner when I'm happy with the one I now have? That would be irrational and expensive. I have never said the PCV was a better tuner than the flash-based tuner that you prefer. Not once. If you disagree, post a link where I did. I have said that I felt a PCV from Fuel Moto was the best bang-for-the-buck tuner option for most riders and that's my honest opinion. I can justify this and have on numerous occasions. Would you like to discuss it rationally? I'm ready.

Again, all I've ever gotten from you is personal insults and claims that I don't listen to you. You could've given us a list of reasons why your favorite tuner is superior in the time you spent insulting me.

If your implication of sincerity were even marginally true, you would have read & picked up on the umpteen different ways I and others have attempted to "help you" understand.

I know I've said, at least once, I am NOT CAPABLE of helping YOU. I've probably worked with at 100+ people from this site (either in person or on the phone), on numerous things from builds, to troubleshooting, to bike build, and on and on, but I never encountered anyone "quite like you" (fortunately, for me).

Frankly, I don't care if you ever "get it" or not ~ however I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that.

I think a the following is appropriate, with regard to my efforts with you:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...ins133991.html

Apologies to everyone else in this thread.

Can someone please advise me how to enable the "ignore posts from" feature of Vbulletin forum package? Seriously!

Quick Reply: Tuner Confusion!!!!!