Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 07:24 PM
plamb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

Whenever one of my sport bike firends got a Harley, I used to say they were going to the dark side, and now I'm thinking of going there! I've been riding sportbikes for quite some time, but I'm coming to the end of that piece of my life. I've spent time at the track, and learned to "drag my knee", but I've recently had some wake up calls (not crashes, but "indicators" of a need to change).

Now I have a serious itch for an Ultra (an old friend had one for years and we used to trade back and forth), but I still have some doubts. I really want the comfort and style associated with the Ultra, but I'm afraid it will be too big around town (my "normal "riding) and let's face it, ther not cheap! Have any of you made the jump to comfort like this? Any words of wisdom?

As a side note, I'm a firefighter, so I'm obviously thinking of the firefighter edition. Any thoughts there? Will they have a re-sale like the rest of the fleet, or might I be restricted to selling to other firefighters (i.e. would a non-firefighter ever purchase a firefighter bike)? Should I go new, or look at used? If I do go used what problems should I look out for?

As you can see, this is my first post, but i've been lurking as a guest for a while. I can't hold back much longer.............

By the way, my firends and son know I'm thinking about this, but not my wife. Please don't tell her!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:29 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

Don't fight the feeling. Come on over to the dark side

It's really not that dark[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

If you're a firefighter, you need to look into the Road King Firefighther edition. I know you're thinking about an Ultra, but you will love this special edition Road King. It could also become a collectors item, as Harley only making a small number of these.

ORIGINAL: plamb

Whenever one of my sport bike firends got a Harley, I used to say they were going to the dark side, and now I'm thinking of going there! I've been riding sportbikes for quite some time, but I'm coming to the end of that piece of my life. I've spent time at the track, and learned to "drag my knee", but I've recently had some wake up calls (not crashes, but "indicators" of a need to change).

Now I have a serious itch for an Ultra (an old friend had one for years and we used to trade back and forth), but I still have some doubts. I really want the comfort and style associated with the Ultra, but I'm afraid it will be too big around town (my "normal "riding) and let's face it, ther not cheap! Have any of you made the jump to comfort like this? Any words of wisdom?

As a side note, I'm a firefighter, so I'm obviously thinking of the firefighter edition. Any thoughts there? Will they have a re-sale like the rest of the fleet, or might I be restricted to selling to other firefighters (i.e. would a non-firefighter ever purchase a firefighter bike)? Should I go new, or look at used? If I do go used what problems should I look out for?

As you can see, this is my first post, but i've been lurking as a guest for a while. I can't hold back much longer.............

By the way, my firends and son know I'm thinking about this, but not my wife. Please don't tell her!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:45 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure yet if I made a step up or not but it was a pretty significate change for me going from a Goldwing to an Ultra Classic.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too rode sport bikes or Superbikes since the 70’s. I don’t miss my knee pucks, and my wife will actually ride with me now. Frankly, I was amazed by how nimble the handling of the Ultra was, and find it to be every bit as enjoyable and a lot less dangerous (though I do drag the floorboards quite often). The biggest difference was the lack of throttle response. I solved this with a 95” Stage II kit. I love the Ultra, and after a short adjustment to the extra weight, local riding is no problem at all. As for resale, I don’t have any plans to sell mine. Two thumbs up from me.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
plamb
Advanced

The Road King is certainly a nice looking bike, but if I make the change, I want it all!

I don't plan on selling, but I never planned on buying until now, so you just never know...

What problems should I look out for with a used Ultra? How many miles per year are "normal"?

And by the way, I'm not ready to give up my knee pucks just yet...But I'll only be using them on the track. [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 06-21-2006, 08:04 PM
plamb
Advanced

Oh, by the way, the photos in you guys sigs are NOT helping my itch! They are gorgeous!

Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

my Glide is very nimble ... dont buy it for the resale ... buy it cause you LOVE it

Old 06-21-2006, 08:51 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a Streetglide, great everyday bike with long distance capability.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

I ride a Wing but I was on a new Ultra Classic for the weekend and its a very nice ride. I also have 2 friends who I ride with alot (Heritage and Road King) and have ridden both of them a fair amount. All 3 (well really all Harleys) handle great in town. While the Ultra is a big bike it is easier to handle in slow speed/parking lot riding than my Wing is. See if any dealers in your area have a rental program (alot do). Its not all that expensive and gives you a chance to spend some time on any model you are interested in. Sometimes a bike feels great in the showroom but not so much so 300 miles down the road. The rental program is perfect for finding out just what works best for you.

Quick Reply: Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!