Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:55 AM
Greybeardrider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

Yes, Gary, come.... follow the light........don't resist.............resistance is futile.........................closer brother, thats it........look into the light............it is calling you, closerrrrr closerrrrrrrrr. ................you cannot fight it forever........willie g is your father[sm=vader.gif]

[/quote][sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Too funny,man.... LMAO
PLAMB,....like the shoe maker says..."just do it"...you won't regret it, and those thoughts of selling,..probably will go away

Old 06-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was recently in a similar boat. I still am very involved with sportbikes and racetracks, and I still instruct, mostly at Willow Springs and Streets of Willow, for MTC Trackday (Motorcycle Training Center). But I recently purchased my first HD, and now enjoy both worlds. I found I did not need to "convert", or give up one for the other. I do both! I am riding the HD on the streets, haven't touched any of my liter street sportbikes (2004 R1, 1987 FZR1000) since getting the FLHTPI in the picture below, but I'll be out on the race track at Street of Willow on my two track bikes, a 2000 R1, and a 2004 R1. So come on in, the water's fine! I think you will not regret making the switch from sportbikes to Harleys.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:03 PM
plamb
Advanced

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm looking a a 02 FFSE classic this wednesday.

Eyespy...I saw you avatar and immediately recogognized it from the R1 forum! I think I'm giving up the track as well. I was very fortunate to save a high side at Jennings back in January. No close calls since, but I'm riding faster than I ever have (thanks to some great instruction from guys like yourself) and I know I'm getting closer to the ragged edge. For me, speed on the track is like crack, I'm always pushing for more. I think it's time to quit cold turkey and move to a safer drug. By the way, nice new ride...

Old 07-03-2006, 09:03 AM
plamb
Advanced

Well....I did it!

Wifey a little irritated about the $, but she likes the comfort.

I was worried about the size of the bike, but it is not a problem at all. I'm very pleased!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Hey pamb, congrats on the new Hog. Give the wife time, she'll start to come around. I hear you re giving up track riding as you find yourself closer and closer to the edge. What works for me is to take it down a couple of notches on the track. I know where that edge is, what it feels like to be on it, and how much it hurts to cross it. Running the track at 9/10ths or even less at times (working with slower riders on lines, technique, etc) leaves a confortable margin. One thing I noticed about getting the HD is that I really love street riding/cruising/commuting again, even though it lost all its appeal a long time ago once I got into the track thing. For the way I ride on the streets, the HD is perfect. Oh, another thing I noticed, the more you ride/own the HD, the more it seems to shrink in size...

Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

Eyespy is probably right. The wife will probably come around and start offering to buy stuff. Congratulations and welcome to the Dark Side. You won't believe the power of the Dark Side!

Old 07-03-2006, 12:52 PM
My Street Glide
Advanced

Trading my Street Glide for an Ultra. Great around town and can't beat it for a trip. I would rent before deciding which bike suits you. I am retired law enforcement but did not want the LE edition Ultra (color). Trading a Pearl Black SG for a Pearl Black Ultra.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:07 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once upon a time I was both an LEO and a FF. Still on the FD, but gave up the Sheriff's Office. I bought a new Peace Officers Ultra and a new Fire Fighter Road King. The only thing with buying a new one, is you have to wait 12 months before you can sell it. However, once you get it, I doubt that would even be a consideration. I actually bought both of mine for other people. One liked red and the other liked blue. Neither was LE or FF. They really didn't care about the "special edition" part of it. They just wanted the color. It was kinda fun to ride with them and watch them drool for 12 months. I'd look at some used ones before you buy new. My old FF bike was an 02. I think the shade of red they used on the older ones is a lot better looking than the newer ones. Don't quote me on it, but I think they changed colors in 03 or 04. I used to have a Hayabusa, and swore you'd never catch me on a "Paw Paw" bike. Well, a few Road King's and Ultra's later, and Ultra is about all I ride.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:11 PM
plamb
Advanced

I'm getting more and more used to it. The first turn I made the night I picked it up, I drug the boards. My buddy said "It's not a R1 you know"!

I do love it. It makes riding on the streets fun again.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Fire76wolf
Cruiser

YOU DONT KNOW THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!