Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:20 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

ORIGINAL: dgator66

ORIGINAL: GaryWayne

I ride a Wing but I was on a new Ultra Classic for the weekend and its a very nice ride. I also have 2 friends who I ride with alot (Heritage and Road King) and have ridden both of them a fair amount. All 3 (well really all Harleys) handle great in town. While the Ultra is a big bike it is easier to handle in slow speed/parking lot riding than my Wing is. See if any dealers in your area have a rental program (alot do). Its not all that expensive and gives you a chance to spend some time on any model you are interested in. Sometimes a bike feels great in the showroom but not so much so 300 miles down the road. The rental program is perfect for finding out just what works best for you.

Yes, Gary, come.... follow the light........don't resist.............resistance is futile.........................closer brother, thats it........look into the light............it is calling you, closerrrrr closerrrrrrrrr. ................you cannot fight it forever........willie g is your father[sm=vader.gif]

Thats so funny.........now I have this image of Willie G. in a dark shinny mask!

Old 06-22-2006, 04:00 PM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought you would like it, you are my favorite wing rider, after all.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:06 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: plamb

Whenever one of my sport bike firends got a Harley, I used to say they were going to the dark side, and now I'm thinking of going there! I've been riding sportbikes for quite some time, but I'm coming to the end of that piece of my life. I've spent time at the track, and learned to "drag my knee", but I've recently had some wake up calls (not crashes, but "indicators" of a need to change).

Now I have a serious itch for an Ultra (an old friend had one for years and we used to trade back and forth), but I still have some doubts. I really want the comfort and style associated with the Ultra, but I'm afraid it will be too big around town (my "normal "riding) and let's face it, ther not cheap! Have any of you made the jump to comfort like this? Any words of wisdom?

As a side note, I'm a firefighter, so I'm obviously thinking of the firefighter edition. Any thoughts there? Will they have a re-sale like the rest of the fleet, or might I be restricted to selling to other firefighters (i.e. would a non-firefighter ever purchase a firefighter bike)? Should I go new, or look at used? If I do go used what problems should I look out for?

As you can see, this is my first post, but i've been lurking as a guest for a while. I can't hold back much longer.............

By the way, my firends and son know I'm thinking about this, but not my wife. Please don't tell her!
Go for it and come to the light side!

Mine is also my daily ride and I have no issues moving it around in the big city.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:19 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

plamb,

I am also a former sport bike rider, many close calls on the old R1 so I know what your talking about. I know have a Street Glide. You are concerned about the bike being to big for around town. I disagree, I to thought the SG would be to big for around town cruising. The more I ride it around town the more I want to go on longer trips with it. These bikes are big however they manuever very well. It's really fun to here the floorboards drag around a corner or just doing slow manuevers in a parking lot. Sometimes people ask me how I move such a big bike around so well, I just tell them practice, experience, and confidence in my ability to ride and lean these big bikes over. I don't think you can make a bad decision about buying an Ultra. Thy are great bikes and very well equipped for all types of road trips. So buy on and enjoy the ride.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:44 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultra is a perfect bike it you travel. You can get the ultra and get the quick detachable tour pak and you will be fine.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:46 AM
andellamd
Intermediate

I just sold my 04 GSX-R750 and purchased a FLHTI in March and have no regrets at all. I occasionally miss the insane acceleration but I love my electra glide and am not turning back. It is a lot of fun carving corners with a big bike coming from a sportbike. Your back will thank you on long rides too.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:04 AM
HDUC1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the Ultra and enjoy running it though the paces. The weight can be an issue if you load it too top heavy. I don't think you will have much of a problem except at slow speeds. The mileage on used bikes might not be as important as how well it was maintained. If someone changed the oil at regular intervals, I would think anything less than 10,000 a year would be worth a look.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Garrison1383
Cruiser

3 months i woke up one morning and decided to sell my GSXR-1000 and buy a road king. I was unsure as to how a touring bike would feel as i never even sat on one before. For me it was always sport bikes.

I'm glad I switched over at a relatively young age (28).... my only regret with the road king is that i didnt just buy the Ultra -- I'm kicking myself now for not having the tour pak/fairing.

A 100 mile ride down the highway is so much more fun than ripping around the city on my sport.

good luck w/your decision

Old 06-23-2006, 01:50 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

have one fast bike for fun, and a HD for those other times.

My ZRX is my primary ride, but the Electraglide is alot nicer in the cold or when I need to carry things.

And if you've never had a radio on a bike, once you have one you'll wonder how you lived without it.

besides you can never have enough toys

Old 06-23-2006, 02:02 AM
librarian
Intermediate

Luke, you don't know the power of the Dark Side.

I just delivered my 1500 Wing to its new owner on Monday. Never owned anything but a Honda for 40 years until I bought an Ultra. I'm happy.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian

Quick Reply: Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!