Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:46 PM
plamb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!

We're going with three other couples on a trip around the Grand Canyon this fall. We've all rented Classics for that trip. I'll check into local rental programs (not sure why I didn't think of that...) I have another friend with a Wing, but I've never ridden it. Calling him now...

Still hoping for guidance with what to watch out for in a used Harley

Old 06-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: plamb

Whenever one of my sport bike firends got a Harley, I used to say they were going to the dark side, and now I'm thinking of going there!

The Dark Side bekonnnnnsss. You're getting sleeeeeeepy......sleeeeeeeeeepy......you feel the throb of the Big Twin.......sleeeeppier.....

Old 06-22-2006, 10:02 AM
06ALULTRA
Road Master

The extra storage space is handy around town.
The size gets you noticed more by cagers.
Come on over you won't regret it

There two firefighter editions where I work and neither are even volunteer fireman to my knowledge.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 06-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As we get older, we get a desire for more creature-comforts, and the Ultra has a lot going for it in that department. Cruise control, sound system, comfortable seating and position, weather protection, etc. It's a great touring bike, and with the 26 degree front end, handles quite well. All you need is some more torque out of the stock powerplant.
I think the Firefighter SE is a super color of red.........wish it was available to us all.

What was the Borg saying on Startrek? "Resistance is Futile". Go for it.......you'll love it.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:49 AM
DWhite
Tourer

I think you will be alright no matter what you go with. You cant go wrong.
I went straight from a zx7r to a Road King back in 2000. Dont get me wrong. I loved my sportbikes and I still miss them every once in a while but I enjoy riding so much more on my RK. I like the RK because it is a bagger by nature but yet still has a nice sleek feeling to it. I can dress it up with a bunch of bags or I can strip it down for around town. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. You may need to cancel that rental for the Grand Canyon as you may already have a suitable ride

Enjoy no matter what you do.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

In my 45 years of owning streetbikes,I have had about every type from a Triumph twin to a Ducati 916.Then Iwent to BMW's for a few years.I bought a 05 RK last year and every time I look at it ,I smile.Tried all the rest,but this is the best!

Old 06-22-2006, 02:24 PM
ZookHD
Tourer

Buy the FF special edition. Im a LEO and bought the peace officer edition. I too fell to the dark side and I'll never go back. Ive had 4 FZRs, 1 GSXR, 1 NSR, and an R1. Dont worry about the resale. All harleys have great resale when conpared to sportbikes. Ben

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/13FF6DA0D73B4A94950DA82956413B92.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/50D106E1B28342AFBD5E0D0968A0227B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/F7F78578A94F4006BC4DA7A49CCEA976.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-22-2006, 02:31 PM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryWayne

I ride a Wing but I was on a new Ultra Classic for the weekend and its a very nice ride. I also have 2 friends who I ride with alot (Heritage and Road King) and have ridden both of them a fair amount. All 3 (well really all Harleys) handle great in town. While the Ultra is a big bike it is easier to handle in slow speed/parking lot riding than my Wing is. See if any dealers in your area have a rental program (alot do). Its not all that expensive and gives you a chance to spend some time on any model you are interested in. Sometimes a bike feels great in the showroom but not so much so 300 miles down the road. The rental program is perfect for finding out just what works best for you.

Yes, Gary, come.... follow the light........don't resist.............resistance is futile.........................closer brother, thats it........look into the light............it is calling you, closerrrrr closerrrrrrrrr. ................you cannot fight it forever........willie g is your father[sm=vader.gif]

Old 06-22-2006, 02:34 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

DO IT!!!!!!!!![sm=patriot.gif]

Old 06-22-2006, 02:36 PM
suicide441
Cruiser

If you want an Ultra don't ride a Road Glide it will make you question your decision. I love my 05 RG so much that I have put 19k on it in 15 months. It is great around town and on the road.

Quick Reply: Sportrider going to the dark side. Help!