Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented Lowers on a '09 RG

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Vented Lowers on a '09 RG

I was thinking about getting a new 2010 RG but I decided to update my 2009 RG instead utilizing the fairing mounts from the 2010 RG so I could install vented lowers. Other than taking most of the day it was pretty easy. You have to remove both the inner and outer fairing pieces in order to replace the fairing mount. The new mount raises the faring 7/8" and tilts it forward 2 degrees. It is part# 58530-10 and goes for $49.63 at Zanotti's. You also need new chrome lower mounts that replace the ones that go from the crash bar to the fairing. The new ones are angled so the vented lower fairing cap will fit. They are part#s 58454-10 and 58460-10 for $32.54 each. The only part of the job that is at all difficult is the fact that you have to unplug all the wiring since the harness goes through the center of the mount. I took pictures of it so I would remember where it all went but I never even needed to look at the pictures. The plugs can only go one way so it would be difficult to screw it up. Besides, I've had the fairing off before since I originally switched from a SG to a RG fairing.

While you have it apart you might as well update the headlight mounting as well. They moved the headlight bulbs from behind the mounting plate to in front of it so you can now change the bulbs without having to remove the outer fairing. All you need is the new mounting plate part# 67959-10 for $28.99 and 3 new adjusting screws which are shorter than the original ones. They are part# 67980-10 for $4.62 each. You simply unscrew the headlight bulbs from the back of the old mount and attach them to the front of the new mount using the original screws. You then remove the old adjusting screws and install the new screws in the new mount using the old hardware. The only thing I'm not sure about is how close the headlight alignment will be but it's easy enough to adjust if it's not right. I kind of guessed at it when I put it together. I installed the new vented lowers part# 58854-09 and they now fit perfectly.

I didn't take any pictures as I was working pretty intensely so please don't ask If anyone needs any more details please let me know.

Marc

Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 PM
wattspd
Cruiser

Ok so let me get this right...You can put regular HD vented lowers for like a street glide on the 2010 road glide due to the modifications of the new mounts of the fairing?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Yes, you can. You can also put regular vented lowers on an earlier RG by simply utilizing the 2010 RG fairing mounts.

Marc

Old 09-24-2009, 08:18 PM
wattspd
Cruiser

Cool thanks for that info.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM
SMOKEin
Tourer

I'm confused, do you really have a RG or a SG with a sharknose? I only ask because of your sig.

Whats the difference between the RG and RG hard lowers?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Minglewood
Advanced

So, how do the 2010 vented lowers compare with your Hoppe vent modified 2009 lowers? Are the vents on the 2010 more effective?

I'm finally appreciating those vented lowers, now that the temperature has cooled considerably in the PNW.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc,
So cool, exactly what I was looking for, somebody who did it already AND with the part numbers for the little thing we might have missed. Hell, I immediately copied/pasted it into a file for myself. Big time thanks for that!!

Now go grab some pics for us!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Now go grab some pics for us!!!
Too late for pics, the patient is up and around already

Marc

Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Minglewood
So, how do the 2010 vented lowers compare with your Hoppe vent modified 2009 lowers? Are the vents on the 2010 more effective?
I don't know yet. I need to take it for an extended ride and see. I only rode it a few miles to make sure everything worked. One thing is for sure, the buffeting is gone!! Yea!!! The other side effect was that when I had my Russell seat made it raised me up an inch which was a bit too high for my Cee Bailey's screen. Now that the fairing is raised and tilted the screen is right back where it belongs. As for the lowers, the design of the vented set allows more air by even when the vents are closed compared to the RG lowers which are really effective at sealing out the wind.

Marc

Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Marc, congrats on this project. I recall your earlier thread when you supplied the part nos. needed, and now you've actually done the install--successfully.

Suggestion: Bookmark this page so over the next six months to 1 year or so you can simply copy and paste this information when others ask in new threads (and they will) if what you've already done can be done. A similar phenomenon occurred several years ago about adding the SG rear fender fascia/LED to other touring models, so having the thread bookmarked makes it much easier to respond.

Quick Reply: Vented Lowers on a '09 RG