Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented Lowers on a '09 RG

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using the fork baffle too?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jags93
Are you using the fork baffle too?
Yep.

Marc

Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope to do this someday

Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Dru
Cruiser

Thank you Marc. I just ordered all the parts today. Came out to $170.14 including shipping to CA.

My 07 Street Glide is in the shop after being rear ended last weekend and this was something I always wanted to do.

I picked up a 08 Road Glide front end on craigslist. Thanks again!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:22 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

This is the next project. I am buying black faced gauges, the fairing mounts and bracket and, the head light mounting plate w/ adjustment screws. As soon as all the parts are on hand, the bike will go to the dealer. It is way too hot for me to do this in a garage that has no a/c in mid July here in TX Being diabetic does not help either mind you. When all is said and done, I will buy a set of factory vented lowers. By the time all this is finished, the '11 bikes will be released. With luck, the moco will have RG specific vented lowers by then.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

H-D already has factory vented lowers for the 2010 RG. They use the same vented lowers on all touring models, including the CVO RG, for 2010.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
black02flht
Novice

Originally Posted by marcparnes
I don't know yet. I need to take it for an extended ride and see. I only rode it a few miles to make sure everything worked. One thing is for sure, the buffeting is gone!! Yea!!! The other side effect was that when I had my Russell seat made it raised me up an inch which was a bit too high for my Cee Bailey's screen. Now that the fairing is raised and tilted the screen is right back where it belongs. As for the lowers, the design of the vented set allows more air by even when the vents are closed compared to the RG lowers which are really effective at sealing out the wind.

Marc
Marc,

If you are still watching this post, I have one question. You said that after you did this install the buffeting was gone. Is that with or without the lowers. If it gets rid of the buffeting I want to do it.

thanks,

Dave

Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

The lowers installed certainly minimized the buffeting and even eliminated it at times but ultimately it was still there at freeway speeds particularly with a crosswind. I ultimately came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to get rid of it completely in all situations. Its one of things you either learn to live with or not. Some people aren't effected by it at all and they are fortunate but for those that are sensitive to it it can be difficult to live with.

Marc

Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
black02flht
Novice

Ok, I am in the process of doing the fairing mount bracket conversion on my 07 RG. While I had it all apart I greased the steering head bearings. There was not way to get to them before. Now I notice that the new bracket covers up the grease nipple. What have people done to address this. I don't want to put it back together until I here from others.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 04-30-2011, 11:56 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

H-D must have moved the nipple on the '09 as I've done the change over and I have no issue getting my grease gun on the nipple. My grease gun has a flex hose and a grease coupling that swivels.

Quick Reply: Vented Lowers on a '09 RG