Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented Lowers on a '09 RG

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKEin
I'm confused, do you really have a RG or a SG with a sharknose? I only ask because of your sig.

Whats the difference between the SG and RG hard lowers?
My bike was originally a Street Glide but I ended up liking the way the Road Glide handled and rode better so I changed fairings. It's very similar to what they did with the 2010 Road Glide which is exactly the same bike as the 2010 Street Glide but with a Road Glide fairing. I was a bit ahead of the curve this time for a change

They made two different sets of lowers up to 2009. One set is vented and fits all the Batwing models and the other set is for the Road Glide and is not vented. The design is also slightly different. Up to and including 2009 you couldn't use the vented set on a Road Glide without doing some major surgery on the lowers. They are too tall and the caps interfere with the chrome lower fairing supports.

For 2010 they raised the Road Glide fairing up by 7/8" and tilted it forward 2 degrees. They also modified the chrome lower supports by angling them in toward the center of the bike. By making these adjustments the vented lowers from the Batwing now fit perfectly. According to those in the know there is a new model of the Road Glide coming which will have vented lowers as standard. As you can read in my first post, it is now quite easy to modify an earlier than 2010 Road Glide to accept vented lowers by switching to the 2010 main fairing mount and chrome lower supports.

Marc

Old 10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

>> Whats the difference between the RG and RG hard lowers?

...... if your question is really about the diff. btwn RG & 'S'G lowers, the answer is simple ....... the RG lowers are faster !

Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Tooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are killing me................dealer just called me an said my lowers just came in.............ordered vents from Hoppe...........

Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
shredsurf
Road Master

very understandable, thank you!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:01 AM
dklanecky
Tourer

Nice work, and nice write up. This just might be one of my winter mods.........

Old 10-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooth
You guys are killing me................dealer just called me an said my lowers just came in.............ordered vents from Hoppe...........
There are other vents available for RG lowers. They mount in the front leading edge of the lower. Search Flea-Bay. I bought mine for $30.

To summarize the thread:
2 choices on lowers for RG's
RG lowers w/o vents (until the moco discontinues)
Bat wing lowers (with the use of new fairing brackets)

Road glide lowers:
Pros
Easy bolt on
Effective blocking wind
Better when its cooler

Cons
No vents
Hotter in the summer
Glove boxes separate (overpriced)

Bat wing lowers:
Pros
Has vents
Higher fairing mounting
(good if your tall)
Cooler in the summer

Cons
Fairing bracket has to be replaced
Less wind protection

Last edited by Sincecrazy; 10-17-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

The last couple of days it got hot here again with temps in the high 80's. I would have been miserable with the original non-vented RG lowers. With the vented lowers I didn't notice any excessive heat at all. This was the clinger. It was well worth it

Marc

Old 10-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Minglewood
Advanced

Sounds like your new setup is giving you more air flow than your earlier Hoppe modified set up. Can you note some of the differences? BTW, I'm enjoying those Hoppe vented lowers in the cool PNW, at least at the moment. Summer touring -- they're coming off.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:38 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

There is definitely more air coming through but yesterday it was really hot, like almost 100, and the heat from the right side where the cat-in-header is was pretty bad. The left side was fine. All the 2009 California bikes have the cat in the header. I bought a 49 state header yesterday evening out of Texas without the integral cat which I'm going to install this coming week. Jamie at FuelMoto did some testing and found an increase of over 150F on the r/s comparing a bike without the cat in the header compared to a 2010 with the cat. Overall it was still better than the OE RG lowers with Hoppe vents but if I can get it better it's worth it. Fortunately you don't have a California bike so no cat in the header to deal with.

Marc
Originally Posted by Minglewood
Sounds like your new setup is giving you more air flow than your earlier Hoppe modified set up. Can you note some of the differences? BTW, I'm enjoying those Hoppe vented lowers in the cool PNW, at least at the moment. Summer touring -- they're coming off.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:12 PM
heywood727
Road Master

This should have a sticky. Thanks for the tip and the part #. Might be my next mod after I get the SG rear set up with the RGSE bag extentions done this winter.

Quick Reply: Vented Lowers on a '09 RG