Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best exhaust with autotune

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 AM
rmd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust with autotune

After adding autotune to my bike I had some problems. The bike wasn't working properly between 2500-3000 rpm in all gears. After a couple of e-mails with Jamie he told me reversion in my exhuast pipe causing this issue. I have propipe bp and want to change it. Is there anybody having same problem with me? Which exhaust do you recommend? My bike's mods are in my sig. Thanks in advance

Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to elaborate on the "problems" you are having. I'd presume decel popping since the word "reversion" has been used in your reply. If decel popping is what you're referring to, although a bear to tune out sometimes, it is possible. I doubt Jamie has suggested you change your pipes, at least I HOPE NOT.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:50 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run the pro pipe on my 103 no problems... i suggest you let a indy tuner get the bike adjusted correctly... sounds like there has been alot of guessing going on... some with more experience could read your mapps and get um rite... i dont believe pipe is your problem....JMO

Old 09-24-2009, 08:06 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Me either, the Propipe is pretty good.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Tell you what i ran into on a 103 set up pretty closely to yours except with SE slip-ons and SE 204 cams. When i was still letting the autotune do it's work i took a fast interstate ride with a passenger. Found the rear cylinder autotune was going crazy from 2000-3000 rpm. It says in the instructions that reversion on the rear cylinder can cause bad readings in some cases. I just set it back to match the front cylinder and fininshed autotuning it without a passenger and without any extended high speed running. It ended up working fine and i guessed the problem was from the non-EPA type longer duration cams.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
rmd
Advanced

Truckerdave I guess we have the same problem. Between 2500-3000 rpm with %5 to %10 throttle bike doesn't work properly and when I hit the throttle hard everything becomes normal. I don't know if it is rear cylinder or not. This happens when autotune trims set to %20 change. I set it to %5 change and it looks normal now. But the reason that I want to change the pipe is I can't use the tuning ability of autotune. I can't accept any trims. If I do map gets worse. I bought the unit from fuelmoto , using fuelmoto map and Jamie helped me a lot and never advised to change the pipe but said "reversion in your exhuast pipe causing this issue". I live in Turkey and don't have an opportunity to find a good Harley tuner so autotune still is the best option for me.

Last edited by rmd; 09-24-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rmd
After adding autotune to my bike I had some problems. The bike wasn't working properly between 2500-3000 rpm in all gears. After a couple of e-mails with Jamie he told me reversion in my exhuast pipe causing this issue. I have propipe bp and want to change it. Is there anybody having same problem with me? Which exhaust do you recommend? My bike's mods are in my sig. Thanks in advance
If you must change out the pipes why not re-install your stock head pipes and buy some Jackpots from Fuel Moto? This functionally emulates a 2-into-1 system and likely won't plague you with reversion problems. I'm running this setup with AT for six months and the bike runs flawlessly, although I confess that I've made more than a few tweaks here and there, mostly in the interest of better gas mileage.

Before giving up on the Propipe what you might try doing is to essentially turn off AT at the affected RPM's and run the values in Jamie's base map, which are likely very close. That way reversion issues won't affect the AFR's. In those areas that you've identified set the target AFR's to "0", which turns off AT at those points and then runs off the base-map values. That might do it. At what throttle position are you seeing these problems and how would you describe them? Since you've been accepting trims you've changed the original base map, so you should start over with the map Jamie originally gave you.

For the benefit of others, what's apparently happening is that reversion (air back-flowing into the pipe) is making contact with the O2 sensor(s) and affecting their ability to accurately measure AFR's. It is not the fault of the PCV-AT but rather the pipes, if this is indeed the problem. I'm a little perplexed as to why this is happening because I'm under the impression reversion is better controlled with 2-into-1 systems, which is why they generally perform better than standard 2-into-2 pipes, even those with a crossover.

Last edited by iclick; 09-24-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rmd
Truckerdave I guess we have the same problem. Between 2500-3000 rpm with %5 to %10 throttle bike doesn't work properly....
Please describe "does not work properly" in more detail.

This happens when autotune trims set to %20 change. I set it to %5 change and it looks normal now.
What do you mean "%5 change"? You can't set the trim tables, as they are changed only by the AT to adjust the base map for the target AFR's you've specified. You also can't change the Target AFR's in percentages, as you must specify a value like "14.0," which reflects a 14.0:1 AFR. The only fuel-related table that uses percentages is the base map, but if you change that the AT will override your changes in favor of the target AFR's you specify. Please describe exactly what you are changing and what kind of performance problems you are having at 2500-3000rpm's @ 5-10% TP.

Another note is that if you accept trims you are not changing anything about how the AT affects AFR's. If you accept trims 20 times or none at all it will still run the AFR you've specified in your Target AFR tables, and thus won't affect the way the bike runs.

But the reason that I want to change the pipe is I can't use the tuning ability of autotune. I can't accept any trims. If I do map gets worse. I bought the unit from fuelmoto , using fuelmoto map and Jamie helped me a lot and never advised to change the pipe but said "reversion in your exhuast pipe causing this issue". I live in Turkey and don't have an opportunity to find a good Harley tuner so autotune still is the best option for me.
I don't know why AT wouldn't work fine with some minor adjustments, specifically in the areas you are having trouble with. As I mentioned earlier, reload the base map Jamie originally sent you, i.e. one that hasn't been influenced by accepting trims. Then try setting the values at 2500-3000 rpm @ 5-10% TP to "0", thereby turning off AT at those points. That might solve your problem without changing pipes.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
rmd
Advanced

Originally Posted by iclick
If you must change out the pipes why not re-install your stock head pipes and buy some Jackpots from Fuel Moto? This functionally emulates a 2-into-1 system and likely won't plague you with reversion problems. I'm running this setup with AT for six months and the bike runs flawlessly, although I confess that I've made more than a few tweaks here and there, mostly in the interest of better gas mileage.

Before giving up on the Propipe what you might try doing is to essentially turn off AT at the affected RPM's and run the values in Jamie's base map, which are likely very close. That way reversion issues won't affect the AFR's. In those areas that you've identified set the target AFR's to "0", which turns off AT at those points and then runs off the base-map values. That might do it. At what throttle position are you seeing these problems and how would you describe them? Since you've been accepting trims you've changed the original base map, so you should start over with the map Jamie originally gave you.

For the benefit of others, what's apparently happening is that reversion (air back-flowing into the pipe) is making contact with the O2 sensor(s) and affecting their ability to accurately measure AFR's. It is not the fault of the PCV-AT but rather the pipes, if this is indeed the problem. I'm a little perplexed as to why this is happening because I'm under the impression reversion is better controlled with 2-into-1 systems, which is why they generally perform better than standard 2-into-2 pipes, even those with a crossover.
Thanks for the loonng answers
Fuelmoto doesn't send Jackpot mufflers outside US and I don't have any US trips ahead. And the reason that I chose a 2:1 exhaust is getting better torque. I'm still looking another 2:1 exhaust for the same reason.

I was running with the mao that Jamie sent me when I bought PCV. A few months later I bought autotune and started to use Jamie's map as basemap. I first realize the problem. The bike felt like one cylinder misfires or knocking. The AT's trim values was + - %20. After accepting the trims my problem got worse. The bike was feeling like it was having a huge torque dip. Then I returned back to Jamie's basemap and allowed AT's trim's to + - %5. It feels good now and I never accept AT trims.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:01 AM
SMOKEin
Tourer

I dont think I would buy new pipes to make my AT work, I would prob bring the bike to get a custom tune and keep the setup u want.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust with autotune