Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth and HK

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:01 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth and HK

Has anyone installed the bluetooth feature on the HK. Wonder if it works and the cost.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Troll
6th Gear
Default RE: Bluetooth and HK

Just got an bluetooth for father day,did'n even think of that.
Let me know how it works.
Bill

Old 06-21-2006, 05:21 PM
karl
Novice

I put it on my Ultra about 4 weeks ago. Does it work....yes. Does it work while your driving down the road?....if the person on the other end is screaming! So the problem is the audio level, you can't make it loud enough. I contacted Harmon Kardon and they gave me a line into Harley, I haven't called it yet. I even went to a 3/4 helmet to try and cut down road noise. No luck, anything over 40 with the clutch pulled in at idle and it's impossible to hear. The installation was straight forward, no problems there. Let me know how you make out with it.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:50 PM
06ALULTRA
Road Master

Harley is having enough problems with the HK as of now read the thread I started in touring section.
The costs is hands off. (pun intended)

Fits '06-later Touring models equipped with an Advanced Audio Radio and rigid mount Tour-Pak® luggage system. Requires installation of appropriate Wiring Harness, Console Pod Assembly P/N 77136-03, Left-hand Control Switch Assembly P/N 70046-00 and Fairing Speaker Switch P/N 77092-98. FLHX models also require the following items: Fuel Tank Console P/N 61270-98A, Tank Console Gasket P/N 71294-89, Tank Console Screw P/N 3652, Tank Console Nut P/N 7964, Adhesive Clip P/N 10120, 10103, Tank Pod Mounting Screws P/N 2462 (quantity 3), FLHT Trim Piece P/N 52447-96, and a CB Pod Trim Badge.

MSRP US $495.95

I leave my phone on my hip on vibrate when I get a call I Pull over and call back.
Yes it is inconvient but it safe.
Statistic
Of the 157,000 accidents in Malaysia last year 90 percent were caused by distracted by drivers.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
mrwizard
Advanced

Just bought the bluetooth module with a discount coupon that made it only $375 instead of the normal $499 and I still find it a rather insulting price. When I got it home and opened the box I found out that it isn't even a complete unit. You still have to fork out another $85 for an overlay harness. Screw it! It all went back into the box and it's going back to the dealer in the morning.

But it even gets better. The HD/HK bluetooth unit is a one inch thick, 4x6 box that mounts on the hinge side wall of the touring pack. It is an unfinished silver metal chassis and has no cosmetic cover. You mount it to the touring pack sidewall using two 3M dual lock strips (like velcro but industrial strength) AFTER cutting a hole in the touring pack liner. Then you are supposed to leave the phone in the touring pack because range is limited and having the phone in your shirt or pant pocket would probably be too far away for reliable coverage!!!!

And then of course you have to learn how to talk to it because it doesn't let you have any access to your phone. You have to use the phone book in the adapter or tell it the number and all it does is request the phone to pick up, dial the number and hang up. I don't need the damn adapter to do anything more than connect me to my phone. It already has a phone book and a voice recognition ability.

What engineer had a 3 martini lunch before designing this cluster F? I can walk all over my house using blue tooth and they can't get a realiable connection over 3 FEET, can't make it simple, or small, or at a price that isn't insulting?

On my 02 Ultra I patched a $29 Motorola bluetooth earset into the mic harness and it worked great. Looks like it's going to get put on my 07 because HD/HK can't get it right in any of the areas: size, ability and cost.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

The Harley Bluetooth link works very well "IF" you use the J&M headsets with speakers that are efficient enough to hear the caller on the other end ,,,,, with the Harley brand headsets the voices are way too low in volume ,,,,,

but in fact, it works very well when using the J&M headsets ,,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,

Old 07-12-2007, 04:45 AM
Blacklion213
Cruiser

Since you have to use a bluetooth cell phone, why not just get an earpiece and use it? I am a new ultra owner and new too this stuff so I just thought it might work.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:45 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

my main phone question is this: is there ANY method of using a cell phone while ridfing at speed that allows you to actually HEAR anyone , converse or do any of the above safely?????????????id like ta know before i buy a bluetooth and find out it was money awsted

Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Tin Man 1
Cruiser

I bought the Advanced Audio Bluetooth Hands Free Cell Phone Interfaceoption with my '07 Ultra Classic. At the time, I had Nextel cell service. The only Nextel phone that would work with this option was a blackberry. I didn't need or want the expense of a blackberry. Realizing that I would have to change service providers, I called Harley-Davidson to talk to a service rep for some direction on which service provider and/or cell phone they recommend I get. All they would do is refer me to their web site.

I chose Cingular (ATT), and the Nokia 6102i, which is listed that it works. It connects. It transfers the phone book. It shows signal strength. I can make and receive a phone call. However, it doesn't show caller ID, which it advertises that it does.

During the 5000 and 10,000 mile service I asked that they check this option to find out why it doesn't work as advertised. I think the service department at the dealership is doing all they can to correct the problem. They contacted the factory and was told that it was a service provider problem.

Neither the service writer nor I believe this to be the case. I have been to Cingular (ATT) and they have tried to help. They say that their phones connect to the BMW's and Lexus' bluetooth options. They even called Nokia.

When I called HD they basically said I was SOL.

I think the bluetooth option is a great idea for those that need or want the ability to be contacted where ever they are and whatever they are doing, but it would be better if it worked as advertised.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 AM
cunfuzed
Cruiser

i think if you are on the road on your scoot especially or in the cagethe only thing you should be doing is looking out for other people who are as arognostic as you talking on the phone and not paying attention to driving!!! sorry but if you need to be on the phone that bad do 1 of 2 things stay home or get off the road and talk all you want!!!!!!!! i'm out there riding and don't want to be run over by people like you on the phone!!!!![:@][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badidea.gif]

Quick Reply: Bluetooth and HK