Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY Helmet Laws?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM
AUSTEX RKC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you Troll.

HYFLY1 & Wassup - I know Upstate NY is beautiful and I am looking forward to having a new stomping ground to explore. Not much of Texas that I have not seen. Pretty much completed the Texas tour when the old lady and I road Big Bend a couple mouths back. Only took a little over 20 years of riding.

Onion Farmer - 7 months of riding seems manageable. When does the season start and end normally?

I’m planning on moving up at the end of the year. In the spring I would really like to hookup with some of the local guys to learn the area.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Around here (western Mass area) you can usually start "sneaking" rides in April if the snow co-operates! Wife and I try to ride at least once ever month! If the roads are clear/dry, we ride! No heated gear (although it would be very nice to have), but we do bundle up! I imagine it would take you some time to adjust to the climate before you'd even think about something as silly as riding a motor in this region in January! but it IS do able...I won't go so far as to say it's ENJOYABLE but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes! Anyway, I'd say normally you could expect to ride April to late October anyway....sometimes November is decent and you can get out. Too bad you weren't coming up in the spring so you'd have a little more time to adjust before being thrown right into it! Best of luck with your move and welcome to the frozen north!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Texan, when does the riding season start is a subjective question. I spent 5 years in Nova Scotia on exchange duty riding when the snow was gone until the temperature remained below freezing. That would usually run between April and into early November. I learned about layering and electrics in Canada... I did find that due to the shorter riding the season that bikers in the north tend to ride more and harder when they can ride.

Attached Thumbnails NY Helmet Laws?-p5070283.jpg  

Last edited by gunnert; 09-23-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
rsavage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can get out in April and we ride until early November if the weather holds. Last year, election day week was in mid 70's, then it quickly turned to winter. You are moving to a truly beautiful area. New York has some of the best scenery to be found anywhere. Vermont and New Hampshire are next door. Adirondacks and Green Mountains - you'll love it. Worst part about the state is that the liberals run it and have taxed just about everything that can be taxed (the air we breathe will be next with cap and trade). Welcome.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
SMOKEin
Tourer

I always rode 12 mos a year in NY. Get warm gear and stay off the roads when the snow is on the ground. The good 7-8 months a year that you get to ride upstate, vermont, mass, NH, CT etc, you will be wishing TX had the same roads.

Lid is a must at ALL TIMES. Never heard of reflective tape.

6 months residency for a CCW. Get signed up for classes and paper work early.

If you fish, or want any general info, PM me.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello from upstate New York........
New York requires a DOT helmet , the reflective tape thing is a really old standard that is "sometimes" enforced.
The old law states that you will have 4 square inches of reflective "Material" on each side and the back of the helmet.
The reality of it is , the officer has the discretion of enforcing the DOT and reflective thing depending on your attitude..
I have friends (older bagger riders) that never get hassled about anything.
The police watch younger crotch rocket types and biker gangs pretty close around here.
Watch going through small towns with loud pipes , the state lets local authorities dictate sound levels at their discretion.
Sometimes there are roadblocks setup to check for license/registration and DOT stickers.
This is not frequently done in my area.
A guy I know got ticketed for the reflective material thing , but I'm pretty sure he mouthed off to the officer and dug his own hole on that one.
I have ridden till late December , or until they start salting the roads.
In the spring , I ride after 2 large rain storms wash the salt off the roads , whenever that happens.
We have great riding and some weird laws , but it's not too bad all in all.
Watch out for the elderly and rush hour times , New Yorkers are always in a hurry and will pull out in front of you and ride your rear fender really close and not even think about it.
Good luck and ride safe......
Mick

Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

Look, the USA is the best.
in my mind, every state is great. all jokes aside.
I live in NY and part time in PA. you would find great folks to ride with.reflective tape
Helmet a mast. but the reflective tape, no one ever told me off....
If you ever need to ride with some pals, look me and roadkinglou up.
we are around 1.5hours from there. in pa side. no helmet role.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring your snow shovel.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Never got hassled about reflective tape in the 25 or so years riding in NY, also retired LEO here and I never bothered anyone for the tape thingy. You have to wear a helmet though, NY is a big state and I'm talking about NYC area which is a different animal than upstate. I'm sure diffrent towns/city's will have their on ax to grind.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:27 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes helmet laws are enforced, buy heated gear and you can ride a lot more

Quick Reply: NY Helmet Laws?