Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearview Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:27 AM
arkman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearview Windshield

Just wondering if anyone here is running a Clearview shield on their RoadGlide, and if it actually reduces the wind problem. I'm a long time Road King rider with a new Road Glide. I love the new bike, but I am finding it much windier than the RK (with wind deflectors) was. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Clearview Windshield

I love my Street Glide in most every way, but as it relates to fairing mounted vs non fairing mounted bikes, I'm not sure anything will provide the softer air flow that comes with a windshield vs fairing mounted bike. I'm perhaps the most vocal member here re: this topic cause I can't seem to find any windshield that provides the turbulence protection and eliminates the annoying buffetting that I believe fairings cause. No matter how cool the SG looks and having a stereo onboard is, I'm not sure I'll be keeping my SG. I've not ridden an Ultra or a Road Glide, and all I ever heard was "once you do you won't go back" and that they were the "ultimate in riding comfort." Thus far, while I love the touring bike motor, and most everything else about my SG, after 5 different windshields, I leave each ride, unless it's a very calm wind day, frustrated with the drama taking place with the wind. I just didn't get that on my old Fatboy with a full windshield or without the windshield for that matter. Interesting to note that on the Softtail forum, I haven't seen one post or at least not a theme of posts where this matter is discussed. It's very disappointing to me to come to the realization that fairings don't work for everyone and that they don't, in my opinion provide the smoothest ride. Having said that, most perplexing are the guys who ride with 6" or lower windshields who maintain they don't experience b uffetting on their bikes, or perhaps they aren't accustomed to the Road Kings ride or not as particular as I am. I must have gone for 5 different runs last night, with 5 different windshields trying to convince myself that one worked to my satisfaction. I honestly can't say any did. I am waiting for my 13" Cee Bailey to be delivered. The first one needed to be replaced, but I will say it was the closest I have gotten, after a very short ride, to eliminating this annoying problem. The only other thing I haven't tried is the full 12" or higher standard windshield in an attempt to not ruin the lines of the Street Glide. Maybe that's the answer. Thats what MOCO installs on their Glides. In any event, hope I didn't derail your thread, just sharing my thoughts and experiences. I'm very close to making the swap to a Road King as much as I'd like to work out the problems with the SG.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:09 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: arkman

Just wondering if anyone here is running a Clearview shield on their RoadGlide, and if it actually reduces the wind problem. I'm a long time Road King rider with a new Road Glide. I love the new bike, but I am finding it much windier than the RK (with wind deflectors) was. Thanks.
I ordered a Clearview shield for my RG back in mid-march. I received it about 5 weeks later. It was a "short" (tinted) version of their RG shield. Sadly, there was a big scratch right in the center of the shield when I removed the plastic covering. Of course it was already installed. I did take a little ride with it in place and believe it was comparable to the taller stock windshiled, although I did not log a ton of miles.

I sent it back, as it was scratched upon receipt. I also asked that they replace it with the medium height shield which is slightly taller than the one I sent back. I am still waiting for delivery of the replacement, but I'll let ya know how it works out when I get it.

I've never owned a RK, but I have put quite a few miles on them. Having had 2 RG's, I am pretty comfortable saying that the wind noise/protection should be better on the RG than the RK...

Old 06-21-2006, 09:17 PM
mark2004RK
Intermediate

Riley --please ignore spelling/grammar-- I would like to add my 2cents if I could. What Gildexxx has to say has some merit and I'll try and explain. I have also done the windshield two step over the last several years; but with Honda Gold Wings. I have had three 1500's and one 1800. These are big touring bikes that have large fairings and with two different styles. I also have had several different windshield manufacture brands and heights one of them being Clearview.. The 1800 is especially bad for wind buffing and if there is anybody that doesn't think that, get on one of the 1800 forums and start searching the archives. I feel; like many others, fairings produce large amount of backend turbulence/buffing to the rider and especially to the passenger. A lot of 1800 rider passengers have stopped riding because of so much wind buffing. There is a multitude of wind deflectors/ windshield after market companys that make a living to combat wind buffing. Also there is a strong feeling out there the bigger/taller/wider windscreen can cause more wind buffing. Also keep in mind there are so many different sizes in people, that also makes a impact on kind of buffing and wind deflection; etc.-etc. You can spend a life time researching the Gold Wing archives about wind buffing; what windshield to get; what seat to get and what floorboard/pegs to get--- sounding familiar ? SOOO to your original question about Clearview. It appears they make a good product and pack it real nice for shipment; however I was very disappointed that I had to wait so long. It came real close to our annual scooter ride and I only had a little under a week to have it installed and try it out. This was almost a month waiting. Also they did not apply the 3m blackout tape like I asked them to. Bare in mind I specifically ask them about delivery date and the blackout tape position when I ordered it.
Some people make an order then start calling/bugging the manufacturer right away about their order. I am not one of those people. But after three weeks and one week after a promise date I made the call and glad I did or I wouldn't of had my screen on time. Then I was promised special delivery and that didn't happen. Then when I got the screen the blackout tape was not how I had ordered it and had a vent issue.. Now in some defense of Clearview- real nice people; the owner called me to straightened things out and for special delivery[ which didn't happen] and just about a month ago got aphone call and blackout tape mailed to me. I however since then have purchased a 2004 RK and installed a taller Rifle screen. I hope this rambling may help you and others; or ?

Old 06-21-2006, 10:05 PM
wild1
Cruiser

I had one on my voyager a couple years ago and loved it. Bit expensive though to get it here. I now am using fast aire windshields on my ultra and am very happy with them.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:32 AM
92XLH
Advanced

I may be slow, but this post is a revelation to me. I have been riding a 1992 Sportster since September of 1991 and I just traded it for a 2006 Street Bob. On the Sportster, I had a couple windshields and finally settled on a Harley Sport windshield that was easy to take off. It was extended lower than most and was very convex on the front so it gave good aerodynamics and wind breaking capability. It was noisy but not as bad as the others I had tried before. I wore an Arai Signet helmet with ear plugs.

A month ago, I traded for a 2006 Street Bob and started the windshield thing all over again. The Sportster windshield is not available with the larger Bob forks so I got the Harley Compact Quick Release windshield and it is NOISY. My Arai helmet was about 14 years old and pretty open at the neck area so I just bought a Harley carbon fiber helmet. That, with ear plugs, is a great improvement and I think it will do, although it is not perfect.

The point is that I have been struggling with this wind noise problem for years, thinking that the riders of larger bikes were traveling in this cone of silence. I guess we all have the same problem and maybe we can swap information to help solve it.

Going on a four-day trip tomorrow with truck and travel trailer so it should be quiet. What a cop out.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:48 AM
arkman
1st Gear

Thanks to everyone for your help on this. Maybe I was just spoiled, but I found the stock RK windshield and wind deflectors was the perfect combination. If I was smoker I could have smoked to my hearts content while riding. It seems to me its all about controlling the updraft. However, I think I will order the 2" over height shield for my RG. Apparently they have a slightly different curve to them that directs the airflow over taller riders. I'll know more later.... BTW. The RoadGlide; WHAT A BIKE!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

Just a thought, but you may want to ask this question over on the Road Glide Riders Forum. I think they have discussed the windshield problem before. Check out Delphi Forums for some more info. I have a Street Glide and do notice the head buffeting specially when it is windy or at higher freeway speeds. May be an issue with fairing bikes????????