Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my build sheet

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Critique my build sheet

I'm going to bump up my Cubes to 103 and was wondering if anybody had any constructive input on the components and gameplan in which I'm going to go about getting there.

Due to financial constraints, I'm unable to buy HQ, Axtell, GMR, Rev Perf. and all the other reputable hardware so I'll use my own cylinders and heads.

Gameplan:

1. Bore my own cylinders to 3.875

2. Set deck height of pistons to "0"(probably going to have to shave the bottom off the cylinders)

3. Flat Top Cast Screaming Eagle pistons

4. Use a .030 Cometic head gasket

5. SE255 cams

6. Have my own stock heads "messaged" by Big Boyz

7. Manual Jims Compression releases installed in heads

8. Dyno tuned by The Dyno Difference in DFW, Tx. using my SERT or possibly get the TTS

If I did the math correctly this should equate to a 10:34.1 Static Compression with a Cold Cranking Compression of 212.5

Did I miss anything or is there something you fellas would or wouldn't do as outlined here?

Any unforeseen issues I may come against before or after this build?

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 09-23-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since you are dismantling everything, have you considered porting/polishing your heads on your own? Would take some time to do, but would improve your performance / air flow, etc.

Sounds like a fun build! Good luck

Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
since you are dismantling everything, have you considered porting/polishing your heads on your own? Would take some time to do, but would improve your performance / air flow, etc.

Sounds like a fun build! Good luck
I definitely wouldn't try to port and polish my own heads! I am a tool and die maker and could do the work if I knew what needs re radiused and where to remove material. I don't. That's a specialized job and should match your pistons and cams. There are valve shroud issues and a lot more. Got a flow bench? There are a lot of "kits" out ther where you get heads done, pistons and cams to match the compression and the flow of the head work. I think over 10 to 1 compression might be too much for S.E.255 cams. If you're going to send out your heads, buy cams and pistons anyway you probably won't spend any more by getting matched parts that are proven to work well together. Check out head Quarters, Zippers, Dave Mackie and others and you might find something that works better than what you are planning.

Last edited by Northside; 09-23-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds pretty good. While a 0 deck height would be nice, I wouldn't really obsess about it. If you measure and are in the hole a little, give those specs to Bean and he can mill your head surface if needed and cc your head volume and/or get a thinner (say .020) gasket to compensate for being down in the hole and keep your quench at ~ .030-ish.

Good luck with the build. I'm about 2 weeks from tearing into mine and sending it off.

One more thing.... like Northside said, compression over 10:1 might be too much for those 255's. They have a really early intake valve close and will jack up that ccp higher than you might want. Could cause hard starting, detonation, etc. I've got the Andrews 26H right now with stock compression and I don't think I'd want to use them with much more static compression. YMMV.

Last edited by 07RoadHawg; 09-23-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:32 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

you will have a pingmonster with the added compression and the 255's. Trust me, you won't like it. Go with some Andrews 31's or Woods 6's. 255's are kinda like a dog running and hitting the end of his chain; you just get it spooled up and it's all over.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:40 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thereal142
255's are kinda like a dog running and hitting the end of his chain; you just get it spooled up and it's all over.
Very good analogy
See these often make good torque for a millisecond, and then fall flat on their face. Ill put a plug in for the woods 6, running in my 98" build at 10.2:1 and it hits 100ftlbs at 2500 rpm, and carries it all the way to 5700rpm. Peaks at 109/109. Andrews 54h is also another good option at the compression you will be at, have seen them yield impressive results as well.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't "F" with the heads on this build, other than possibly adding the compression releases.

The rest of the plan is sound. You'll be closer to the 9.7:1 range, which is more in line with how those cams are intended to be used.

You're doing a mild build that will make a reasonable improvement in the ride. Don't over analyze things or try to make it something it is NOT.

btw - did I mention.... DON'T F&$# WITH THE HEADS for this build? You may want to do something better later on, and if you do something now (for very minimal return), you'll be buying another set to get "worked" next time around. TRUST ME on that!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:41 AM
skydoc
Banned

click here eBay $825
106" combo - jugs/slugs/cams

Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Lemme guess, your warranty just ended? In any event have fun and keep us posted and PhilM ALWAYS has good advice. Good Luck!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run a S&S 570 gear drive,,,, high tq at 125 ftlbs/3700 rpm

Quick Reply: Critique my build sheet